3 aero bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
What makes it so great then? That’s a real question of intrigue from me, not a negative comment.

I have fancied Di2 and more so eTap for a while, but the cost has put me off as I find manual Ultegra really good when set up correctly.

How does eTap compare to Di2?
Slickness and speed of gear changes.....no clunking, no cable stretch, just smooth shifts everytime

I built my di2 1x up for £500

Rear mech 180 ( black friday)
Battery 85
Handlebar mount screen 65
Climbing shifter 65
4x cables to try for differenr lengths 70

But for me etap is by far the best, its just a clean look with no cables, adjusting on the fly is simple and slick.

Its just so much better than clicking through the gears with cables and missed shifts or rattling gear cables etc etc

bpsmith

Veteran
Slickness and speed of gear changes.....no clunking, no cable stretch, just smooth shifts everytime

I built my di2 1x up for £500

Rear mech 180 ( black friday)
Battery 85
Handlebar mount screen 65
Climbing shifter 65
4x cables to try for differenr lengths 70

But for me etap is by far the best, its just a clean look with no cables, adjusting on the fly is simple and slick.

Its just so much better than clicking through the gears with cables and missed shifts or rattling gear cables etc etc
Cheers. If I finally get paid out for my damaged bike, I will be contemplating what’s next. Will start a new thread, so as not to hijack this one.

jowwy

Cheers. If I finally get paid out for my damaged bike, I will be contemplating what’s next. Will start a new thread, so as not to hijack this one.
To someome like me that likes to strip, change bike setups etc etc etap is a total no brainer.......i have stripped and rebuilt a bike within the hour with etap

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
this Is all interesting stuff thanks.
For me I’m still torn between the Di2 alloy carbon shrouded wheels on the 0, and the full carbon wheels, better fork on the pro 1 but lesser groupo for a few quid more,
I can’t make up my mind which is the better deal - better pricey wheels and fork and lighter weight or better pricey groupo and slightly heavier wheels and fork can’t have both at this budget.

jowwy

this Is all interesting stuff thanks.
For me I’m still torn between the Di2 alloy carbon shrouded wheels on the 0, and the full carbon wheels, better fork on the pro 1 but lesser groupo for a few quid more,
I can’t make up my mind which is the better deal - better pricey wheels and fork and lighter weight or better pricey groupo and slightly heavier wheels and fork can’t have both at this budget.
For me it would be the di2.....wheels you can get at a later date. But would you ever upgrade to di2 at a later date???

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
thats that sorted then :okay:
Lol yeah if only
Will have to try one ASAP

dodgy

The Propel is a beautiful looking bike, I was really impressed with the way the cables are hidden from view and neatly channelled into the frame.

IMG_0987.jpg

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I have a Ridley Noah SL aero bike, in Lotto Soudal colours. Great bike in fairness. Reviews state that it’s s harsh ride, but I find it no more harsh than my other bike tbh, despite the review of that being very comfortable. Ridley is definitely stiffer though, as I am faster on that for the same perceived effort and doubt that it’s solely down to aerodynamics.

Was looking at the Propel’s before the Ridley deal turned up. Great bikes in fairness. Would be the Orange with full carbon wheels for me, over the deep section flanges on the other Propel. I was told in the dealer that the flanges aren’t actually carbon.
Any thoughts on this @bpsmith
Ridley Noah Fast Ultegra 6800
D75C3D0F-2292-431D-80C6-3BCBA3A9D7A1.png

bpsmith

Veteran
Any thoughts on this @bpsmith
Ridley Noah Fast Ultegra 6800
View attachment 393966
My thoughts?

What an absolutely beautiful looking machine! It was the bike that first attracted me to the Ridley brand. Slippery smooth looking and fast in name and nature. Sadly, I was new to cycling when I saw it and couldn’t have done it justice, let alone afford it at the time. When I was in a better position, they were no longer available.

They moved away from some of the ultra aero design and allegedly made the Noah SL actually a faster bike, if you believe the hype and reviews. The fast has aero hidden brakes and a seatpost integrated into the frame, with a few other things I can’t remember.

I am unbelievably pleased with my Noah SL though and am sure you would love the Fast too. I am 175cm and chose to size down to an XS frame. Sounds small but aridley sizing is one phase out to most. A size S frame would have been right on paper, but I have the XS with a very slightly longer 120mm stem.

Have you found one available then?

EDIT: Don’t post up a link btw, just in case you miss out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom