Biking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This question can not be answered!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It all depends on what you are capable of doing in the first place. Find what you are comfortable with and how much you can push yourself without over doing it, and work from there. Also jefmgc has pointed out, think about what do you want to achieve.

You can perhaps build up stamina by regularly doing the same sort of mileage or route over and over again (typically a few miles to start with) and eventually start to time yourself so you see your progress, building up a good fitness base (and hopefully your over all speed) to then gradually progress on to longer routes.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What Robert means is that it all depends on what you are capable of doing in the first place. Find what you are comfortable with and work from there. Also jefmgc has pointed out, think about what do you want to achieve.

You can perhaps build up stamina by regularly doing the same sort of mileage or route over and over again (typically a few miles to start with) and eventually start to time yourself so you see your progress, building up a good fitness base (and hopefully your over all speed) to then gradually progress on to longer routes.

Not quite.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I just thought the response meant more than 'How long is a piece of string?' or similar, that's all.

deadpool7

Like the others said, can't really answer without knowing your fitness level, how much you currently ride, etc. With running, there's a general rule of 10%, meaning don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. I think cycling is more forgiving though.

If you are new to cycling, pay attention to your cadence, which is how fast you pedal (basically rpm). Most beginners, myself included, pedal in a high gear at a slow pace, which tires you out and is not efficient. Time how many times one foot reaches the bottom of your pedaling rotation in one minute, and that is your cadence. You want it to be somewhere near 90.

OP
OP
ILcylcling98

ILcylcling98

I usually ride a mile. I do it every other day because on the other days I do a gym workout. I would like to be able to do 3.5 miles which I have done once but it wasn't the easiest

Top Bottom