Cassette on new bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm old enough to remember when most bikes came with 14-24 five speeds block, usually paired with a 52-42 up front.
DSCN0111.JPG

Levo-Lon

Guru
11-42 rocks with a 36-26 up front.

I had to go 11-32 as I just can't get up hills I'm a Fenner.
I have a 44-34 on the Boardman, I like that

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've got a 3-speed hub on mine which gives 45, 60 and 80 inch gears. These are just right for Birmingham. I suspect most bikes come with a 11x28 cassette because it's just right for most places.

CXRAndy

Guru
My first road bike as an adult and more unfit was 50/34 and 11-32. It allowed me to climb 10% hills, but whilst being on the ragged edge of blowing up.

Now i use a triple crank 48/36/26 mated to either 11-32 or 11-40 .Im much fitter these days and really enjoy climbing mountains. They are still tough, but I dictate the pace/cadence not the gradient.
Says 90+kg 50+rider ^_^

mgs315

I rode the early season Croydon Hardriders 25 with a 48 chainring and 14-18 back in 1970.

That was NOT a good idea, as anyone who knows Kent will tell you.

Wow, yeah sod that. I’m glad I’ve got a 50/34 11-32 available on some of those gradients.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In the early 90s, you'd have bern laughed at for having anything bigger than 21T on a racing bike. We've gone soft.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In the early 90s, you'd have bern laughed at for having anything bigger than 21T on a racing bike. We've gone soft.
I remember cycling to work back then when MTBs had just come out, I used to pass this guy most mornings 'twiddling' away as I cruised past at 25-30Mph (depending on the wind) and thinking ":crazy:"

Now I look at the Carlton (with a 13-23 and 42-52) and think "Gawd I used to ride that everywhere" :heat:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Milk Race went up local climb 'Mytholm Steeps' once in the 1980s. I got chatting to a local cyclist who had been standing on the steepest section (see my photos below) and he said that spectators were having to catch the cyclists as they toppled sideways, their feet still strapped onto their pedals. They certainly weren't climbing well on their 21s - ha ha! :okay: :laugh:

Mytholm Steeps - so near but so far.jpg

Mytholm Steeps - swing wide for evil bend.jpg

Top Bottom