Charlie Alliston case - fixie rider accused of causing pedestrian death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I pointed out earlier, it's possible to be the cause of another's death but be found to be not criminally responsible.
I understand that. But he was** not only denying he was guilty of a crime, but also denying he was the cause of her death. He claimed the cause of her death was stepping on to the road without looking, not his actions. So he was denying both "manslaughtering" her, and causing her death.

**using the the past tense because I am going on his quotes from lfgss. I don't know if that's the actual defence he will use in court.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
But not as much as if it had a front brake. I guess that's the crux of the issue.

Well that would be the prosecution argument - and I agree, he should have had a front brake. However, by having a front brake there is no guarantee that stopping distances would have been less if it was not maintained or used correctly.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Haven't read the whole thread, but I have to say that while the no-brake thing is probably what will sink him - he was definitively breaking a specific law, and someone died as a result - in my experience it's the no-brain thing that does the real damage.

I frequently cycle down a busy stretch of road, with much (slow- or not-moving) traffic, many high-sided vehicles, any number of jaywalkers threading thru' the traffic (many of them foreign, and all too likely to look 'the wrong way') and meanwhile cyclists are flying along at high speed, whizzing past, eg, buses, in such a way that brake/no-brake would be utterly irrelevant. If someone stepped out from (or, worse, pushed a buggy from behind) a bus, they'd plough into them, no question. Of course the vast majority of the time they get away with it. But I do often wonder what, if anything, is going through their tiny minds...the utter lack of imagination they display. And like I say, this is a pretty much daily occurrence. Sad truth is, the world is full of imbeciles, and a fair number of them are on bikes.

From the Guardian yesterday
Wyeth said: “We have seen velodromes and seasoned athletes. One way the fixed-wheel bikes can be brought to a stop involves getting up out of the seat and [putting] down pressure on pedals to get that kinetic energy to come to a sharper halt than just a free wheel.”

He asked whether Alliston could be seen doing just that, and Small said he did not recall the defendant rising from his saddle.

That's the defence asking the question, and presumably because the accused believes he did that. If that is part of emergency braking on a fixie, how could the expert "not recall"? If he knows his stuff, he should have been looking for things like that, surely?

Reactions: mjr
Which is this?

"Accused killer’s sick online post after mowing down mother"
The BBC said that?????

U

User6179

Murdoch.

:sad:

Lol. Well, it's only 16,000km away, so yes, I am sure it's subject to UK law and standards.

Yes but other UK news outlets will also have the link to that story on their websites.

Yes but other UK news outlets will also have the link to that story on their websites.
That does not make it part of the British media. Nor are the car companies, phone retailers, weight loss scammers or dating sites you will also find linked on newspapers sites.

But at least the Australian paper found room for the word "accused" in the headline, which puts it slightly ahead of the Metro.

Top Bottom