Charlie Alliston case - fixie rider accused of causing pedestrian death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was commenting more about how a conscientious road user - as the fixie riding chap feels himself to be - would act, rather than making an observation about any aspect of the pertinent legislation.

He is commenting that the victim was reckless in her actions, while conveniently neglecting to mention that he was acting in a reckless manner himself with several different aspects of his behaviour.

damj

Absolutely no remorse. Worrying.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think he probably views a track bike without brakes as some sort badge of bravado completely ignoring any aspect of safety or what could go wrong. Well, something has now gone wrong and instead of having any remorse he blames his victim. When he does get convicted, as I'm sure he will, a psychiatrist will say he has some condition which prevents him feeling any regard for others.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From the telegraph article

"In a legal first, he also faces an additional charge of the manslaughter of Mrs Briggs from Lewisham, south London."

The Guardian concurs.

I'm going by the details given in the Old Bailey listings link I included in my post where only the wanton and furious driving is mentioned.

It wouldn't make sense that Alliston was additionally charged with manslaughter, perhaps it is an alternative charge.

U

User33236

I think he probably views a track bike without brakes as some sort badge of bravado completely ignoring any aspect of safety or what could go wrong. Well, something has now gone wrong and instead of having any remorse he blames his victim. When he does get convicted, as I'm sure he will, a psychiatrist will say he has some condition which prevents him feeling any regard for others.
I think they'd also have to prove not knowing right from wrong. I know I have little regard for others but still know when I have done something socially unacceptable.

Nothing wrong with this bloke except being young and feeling invincible.

Hopefully they throw the book at him and give him plenty of time to reflect on his misdemeanours.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hopefully they throw the book at him
I rather hope is trial is conducted in accordance with the law and isn't prejudiced by online speculation...

He's got a face you just want to punch.

If it was his mum who died he'd be wailing all over twatter, arzbook and everywhere, demanding justice, suing all and sundry.
His is the face of modern youth with all its entitled arrogance. Belting down the road shouting get out the way?
Cyclists deserve consideration but that works both ways.

He's got a face you just want to punch., oh I just said that didn't I:boxing::boxing:

U

User33236

I rather hope is trial is conducted in accordance with the law and isn't prejudiced by online speculation...
I am sure if will be and, hopefully, the jurors will hear the evidence they need to find guilty or innocent as they see fit. However his own statement shortly after the event which in the public domain cant have gone down well if presented to them.

He's got a face you just want to punch.

If it was his mum who died he'd be wailing all over twatter, arzbook and everywhere, demanding justice, suing all and sundry.
His is the face of modern youth with all its entitled arrogance. Belting down the road shouting get out the way?
Cyclists deserve consideration but that works both ways.

He's got a face you just want to punch., oh I just said that didn't I:boxing::boxing:
Yeah, let's make convictions on the basis of how annoying people are on Twitter

Yeah, let's make convictions on the basis of how annoying people are on Twitter

That not what I wrote at all is it?

although convicting people who use twatter is not such a bad idea.

Two children have needlessly lost their mum, a bloke has lost his wife,and folk are debating his bike? this idiot should apologise to the trees for wasting the oxygen they made. I hope he gets a jail term, the only bike in there will be him and ridden daily.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I wonder whether a motorist driving a car with defective brakes/tyres would also get manslaughter or just a C&U offence?

I say "I wonder", the way the police behave they would probably give them a medal.

Top Bottom