Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Frank, Amazing trip so far. Got talking to Josine & Jeroen about you trip. Temporary stranded in Mexico but living life pure and at it’s fullest. Comparerd to my mini sabbatical in NZ and Perth last year for 3 months in 2019 your trip/travel is epic. I enjoy reading your posts and love the pics. Take care, safe travels and greetings from Fluffy (Tilburg Aussie) and Mrs. Fluffy
Hola Señor y Señora Fluffy! ^_^
Only saw this today so apologies for the late reply.

Thanks for blowing my anonymity^_^ Guess I'll have to stay here now😄

I highly recommend México as a place to visit. The most important thing to pack is time. This is not a place to rush through. By pure dumb luck I seem to have landed in the best place to see out this pandemic.

You may also be interested in this recent NZ blog https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/m...w-zealands-north-island-in-early-2020.259907/

Great to hear from you, glad you're enjoying the adventure and tell everyone (well, nearly everyone^_^) I said "Hola".

IaninSheffield

Veteran
He mentioned Coyoacán and I told him of my near drug-like addiction.
Catching up with the BBC World Service Witness History podcasts the other day and there was one on Frida Kahlo. What a force of nature she seemed to be, especially given the difficult circumstances with which she lived.

Catching up with the BBC World Service Witness History podcasts the other day and there was one on Frida Kahlo. What a force of nature she seemed to be, especially given the difficult circumstances with which she lived.
Indeed! A most interesting character, much beloved in a country where a lot of what she represented in her art and her life are anathema to the main religion.
Her museum in the house in which she lived reopened just last week! I'll be paying a visit most likely next week.
Her famous "Blue House" is a pilgrimage for a lot of artists and fans of her work, but if I'm honest, it's not even the most interesting building on the street, never mind the area ^_^

When I'm finished there, I might pop in to the Leon Trotsky museum and learn a bit more about one of her affairs ^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
There are definitely days and they're coming around more frequently now when the road isn't just calling out to me, it's bellowing, Sergeant Major-like at me. The urge to explore sometimes, is very dominant, clouding everything else.
Was catching up with a recent episode of Alastair Humphreys' Living Adventurously podcast featuring a chap called Jack Cornish and was immediately minded of your own adventure(s). Although the #everysinglestreet notion might not appeal, vis ...
Now that cycle.travel is working here I could easily throw a route together to bring me from church to church. Feck that! This way is a lot more fun!
... at least insofar as chasing the target of walking/cycling #everysinglestreet, nevertheless, the enchantment in exploration, delight of discovery, and relishing revelations shine through in all your posts. However, I couldn't help but notice on the Every•Single•Street site that Ciudad de México doesn't currently appear to be covered - #justsayin 😉 - although there's probably a good reason for that.

Although you might not quite be motivated by the same rationale as the chap behind Every•Single•Street, you and he do seem to share at least some similar philosophies. The video is well worth a watch:

View: https://youtu.be/jy_W5qsjB5U

Was catching up with a recent episode of Alastair Humphreys' Living Adventurously podcast featuring a chap called Jack Cornish and was immediately minded of your own adventure(s). Although the #everysinglestreet notion might not appeal, vis ...

... at least insofar as chasing the target of walking/cycling #everysinglestreet, nevertheless, the enchantment in exploration, delight of discovery, and relishing revelations shine through in all your posts. However, I couldn't help but notice on the Every•Single•Street site that Ciudad de México doesn't currently appear to be covered - #justsayin 😉 - although there's probably a good reason for that.

Although you might not quite be motivated by the same rationale as the chap behind Every•Single•Street, you and he do seem to share at least some similar philosophies. The video is well worth a watch:

View: https://youtu.be/jy_W5qsjB5U

Thanks for the link!

You do like your podcasts! At the moment I'm pretty much staying away from them and any cycle touring blogs etc. as it's just too depressing.

I had a look at that video over my first coffee of the day and had an almost physical reaction to the idea ^_^ and not a good physical reaction!

I'm not sure why someone would intentionally place such a restrictive route upon themselves? (What does that say that I see it as restrictive?^_^)

I like the idea that he's not dressed like a runner and appears to interact with people but the cynic in me can't help but wonder if the camera influences actions and reactions.

If I understood it correctly, he "ran" SF in one block of time, sleeping in his car. In my world, that's bordering on (unhealthy) obsession.

Knowing me, as I do, I'd get lost, do the same street multiple times and miss entire blocks!^_^

I tried something like this in the Roma district, on the bike. Up and down, up and down then over and back. As an experiment, it was worthwhile. As an experience I think it suffered from rigidity. It was a dry run for another area but that one will be done differently. Of all the places that I've visited, this fantastic place only suffers when I try to impose some kind of discipline on it! ^_^

What I took from it is the reminder that every street, every alley, every person is worth a look - even if not in the traditional touristic sense.

I'm not sure if it's this place or my covid influenced mentality that has me genuinely enthralled as I walk around. I wonder if I was back at home if I could do it and if I would notice the interesting features of people, buildings and trees like I do here.
It's probably a bit of both. It's easy to look on things with fresh eyes when we're not at home.

There's a very interesting discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of planning, especially in detail. Information is so freely and easily available that top 10 lists are soon filling up the mind. These can easily morph into checklists. A journey can then easily become about checking off those things.

However, no top 10 list can tell us how we'll react, how we'll feel. The important thing is to be happy where we are.

I remember vividly the first time, on my first, solo, self supported tour when I turned off my lovingly planned route (on laminated maps!) and headed off to cycle through a German forest. One of the most significant things I've ever done on a bike!

Oh! CDMX is represented on the site! ^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Oh! CDMX is represented on the site
You're right! Sorry about that; not sure how I missed it first time around.

I suspect he was obliged to be somewhat rigid and restrictive in order to complete his mission - a rather different approach to that of the flâneur. Perhaps what that might bring though is the obligation to sally forth into areas one might otherwise avoid ... though the same could of course happen by chance when merely out for a random wander.

Perhaps what that might bring though is the obligation to sally forth into areas one might otherwise avoid ... though the same could of course happen by chance when merely out for a random wander.
Ah, you see, I don't need that for I am equipped with an active sense of direction distortion device - I can end up anywhere - whether I want to or not! ^_^

I had to look up flâneur. Now I know, it's something t aspire to! I consider myself an apprentice flâneur.
I thought it was a makey-upy word where the meaning came from the sound^_^
I'd be happy to be considered a flâneur, although not too happy with the French connection^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I thought it was a makey-upy word where the meaning came from the sound^_^
I'd be happy to be considered a flâneur, although not too happy with the French connection^_^
Makey-upy indeed! Tsk!
Actually I suppose it did generate 'Cycleur' which struck me as a step too far ... until I read a wonderful post which unpicked it a bit. Especially loved a quote therein:

“Flâneurs are opening their eyes and ears to the scene around them. They are not treating the street as an obstacle course to be negotiated; they are opening themselves up to it.”
Alain de Botton

And what's wrong with the French Connection? Thought it was one of Gene Hackman's best 😉

Makey-upy indeed! Tsk!
Actually I suppose it did generate 'Cycleur' which struck me as a step too far ... until I read a wonderful post which unpicked it a bit. Especially loved a quote therein:

“Flâneurs are opening their eyes and ears to the scene around them. They are not treating the street as an obstacle course to be negotiated; they are opening themselves up to it.”
Alain de Botton

And what's wrong with the French Connection? Thought it was one of Gene Hackman's best 😉
That is a fabulous article! Everyone should read that!
I'm quite familiar with some of Mr de Botton's work (although, juvenile part of my brain reads his name as Bottom^_^) but that was exceptional! Thank you for the link!

And yes, the French Connection is a great movie! It's the "French" part that bothers me! ^_^
However, much like the maligned Germans, the French have a stereotype that does not match the reality, at least on a bike!
I'll extract the urine from the French and the Germans, but I love them, really^_^

mikeIow

Guru
I’m slowly wading through your adventure tale: looks absolutely mad!!
before I wade through this chat thread......do you have any sort of full kit list you have with you? That bike+trailer set up looks pretty well loaded!
Stay safe, & keep adventuring!!

I’m slowly wading through your adventure tale: looks absolutely mad!!
before I wade through this chat thread......do you have any sort of full kit list you have with you? That bike+trailer set up looks pretty well loaded!
Stay safe, & keep adventuring!!
Hi Mike! Welcome aboard!
I wouldn't be reading too fast if I was you...^_^

I posted bike info in January and a little later the gear I carry (on the chat thread)
Not sure if I'm doing this properly, but here goes

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chat-zone-for-the-big-big-trip-journal.254098/page-11#post-5860101

Enjoy!

Fantastic description of Roma in DF.
Reminds me of Telmo in Buenos Aires - on the verge of becoming overgentrified but still authentic.
Argentina is looking so far away at the moment! :sad: Also, I'll probably never have as much time to really immerse myself anywhere so I have to try to make the most of it!

Top Bottom