Cycling Movie - Who's interested?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. Obviously some talent there, some nicely framed shots and it's very slick and well put together I thought. Well done :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Forget the warrior camming. Stick to making these type of movies. You are far better at it.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Thanks for all the support and comments.

I am now thinking of doing one on MTBing. However, it may require more planning (where to go, better shots, someone to help?).

I enjoyed watching that & think it is a good vid; very well put together. Good choice of song as well IMO. If you make anymore vids like that I'll look forward to watching them :smile:

lordloveaduck

That was a fantastic movie. Thank you for sharing.
Beautifully shot and excellent music that complemented it greatly.

Will you be uploading this to Vimeo as well?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Can you tick the box allowing it on
Mobile devices? iPhone and iPad only in our house!
It should be able to be played on all devices. That is something which I cannot sort out, sorry.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I really enjoyed that Matthew!!!
I confess, I originally started to watch through my fingers with a bit of a cringy face on me, but the whole vid was inspiring to watch (with the exception of ya shorty shots). Well done and thank you!

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
It should be able to be played on all devices. That is something which I cannot sort out, sorry.

I though that too after loading a video yrs ago then trying to play it on an iPhone. I went into the profile and settings somewhere and there is a checkbox where the uploader can make it available on mobile platforms.

I dabble with websites and stuff so I know a little bit about this stuff, if you look, you will find it.

When anyone on an android, iPhone, or any tablet tries to look at your film they get the message that the film owner has chosen not to allow it for mobile platforms, that was my first clue it could be changed!

No idea why it's there in this day and age!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Matt, do you mind if I make a couple of suggestions for the next one? I have to say that I've never made a movie but I take an interest and I enjoy writing and photography.

I reckon making a short movie is like writing a short story, you enhance the atmosphere by giving the reader or viewer little glimpses of detail, which help to put them in your place. This is why brief close-up shots of the bike in motion work so well; the wheels rotating, the speedo, the derailleur changing, though I agree that the groin cam shot was an odd angle. The other thing that helps create atmosphere is some shots of the rider's expressions - have a look at this cracking little film and you'll see what I mean:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmFM_UWxdDo
Thinking about your short film in this context, you are a good subject because you look cool on the bike (ditch that saddle bag next time though) and you convey the sense of the young, fit cyclist with a rather solitary interest, doggedly setting out from his parents' house in an estate where nobody seems to be doing anything, determined to seek exercise and enjoyment.

The other thing that works, for me anyway, is big views of open country with a tiny cyclist riding through them - impossible for you unless you can find someone you trust to operate the camera right or somewhere you can leave it running for ten minutes while you get into shot. This kind of shot gives a feeling of progress through the landscape.

Finally although you chose the music in a bit of a hurry, give a bit more thought to matching the music to the action. Think about that Omega watches commercial that's running on TV at the moment; it opens with brief sports shots with edited bursts of the opening guitar from the Stones Start Me Up, it's fantastically effective. Maybe you should raid your parents' CD collection for some ideas? If you like I'll put together a collection of inspirational music, which I think would suit and I'll post it to you on a CD. Go and listen to Pop Looks Bach, which became the signature tune for Ski Sunday, The Trap by Ron Goodwin, which was written for a film but became the music for the London Marathon, and of course Jessica, by The Alman Brothers, which became the well-recognised theme for Top Gear. Don't underestimate the power of the right music accompanying the right action. (I wouldn't suggest you use these because they are too hackneyed but I hope they will illustrate my point.)

Looking forward to the next one!

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I though that too after loading a video yrs ago then trying to play it on an iPhone. I went into the profile and settings somewhere and there is a checkbox where the uploader can make it available on mobile platforms.

I dabble with websites and stuff so I know a little bit about this stuff, if you look, you will find it.

When anyone on an android, iPhone, or any tablet tries to look at your film they get the message that the film owner has chosen not to allow it for mobile platforms, that was my first clue it could be changed!

No idea why it's there in this day and age!
So it is with cyclechat not youtube? I will try to find the problem.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So it is with cyclechat not youtube? I will try to find the problem.

When you upload on youtube there is a check box you can tick or not somewhere, I will try to find it and provide instruction to find it once I get back home.

As for the video, I watched the video, couldn't help myself and I'll be honest, I expected a car crash experience, but I was wrong it was a bit drab after a while, but ultimately it was okay. Some nice idea's that could be built on, Globalti touched on most points. I have been watching video shorts like this for years, they come out a dime a dozen from the fixed gear community.

There are some technical points that could be improved, some are mentioned above (like the crotch cam, that's got to go). Some not, the one that jumped out at me was the focus on the close up bits, most notably when you look your bike over, the focus and depth of field don't work IMO (and you are a bit shakey), I don't know what camera you are using but you might want to practice a bit at this if your camera lets you control these things.

Overall, nice job!

Top Bottom