1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling Shorts

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RYOUNG78, 1 Jul 2008.

1. RYOUNG78

RYOUNG78 New Member

As a newbie to cycling what should you wear under Cycling Shorts?

2. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Whatever you want, but as you start to go further, a lot of people find it much more comfortable to wear nothing (plus it cuts down on embarassing VPL) :smile:

3. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

I don't think you're meant to wear anything under them. When I wear cycling shorts I tend to use them as padded underwear although obviously a lot of people just wear the shorts by themselves.

4. Shaun

Shaun Founder Staff Member

If you're talking about lycra cycling shorts - nothing. Wearing undies can lead to chafing, so it's best to go commando.

If you're talking MTB 'baggies' - whatever you like. :smile:

Cheers,
    Shaun

5. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Either:

1: Tesco's Cotton Y-fronts

or (if they are all in the wash)

2: The wive's cotton knickers (with little lace ribbon on the front) :smile:

Cotton soaks up the sweat. I Really wouldn't want to go native wearing just cycling shorts. Feels too exposed.

Edit: Having read Admin's answer, maybe I should stick a pair of shorts on top and go native!

6. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Agreed

7. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Cycling shorts - nothing under. If you aren't too happy with just lycra ones, shove a pair of baggies on top.

It's the padding and lack of seams that stop things getting nasty on your under carriage... also use chammy cream or a 'thick moisturiser' on long rides.

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Nothing.

9. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Seeing somebody WITH something under some cycling shorts is just seriously WCS.

Though, the other day I had to call in to the post office on my way to the house from work - went to 1 PO big queue WENT to anohter big queue so I decided to wait there...whilst propping the cycle up against the side I knocked/scrapped my ankle with my cleat :sad: :ohmy:

Then the wait..................................................................but whilst doing so EVERY woman in the place checked me out.

MORAL: never frequent public areas (ie shops etc..) in cycling shorts unless you want to feel like a subliminal expose' astist ! :biggrin:

:biggrin:

I'm not BTW the way: but I did feel temendously exposed !

10. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

nothing.

11. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

12. Smeggers

Smeggers New Member

woollen underpants knitted from goats hair.

...... if you're hard!

13. MattLiverpool

MattLiverpool New Member

I've been cycling a very short time and my natural inclination upon looking at a pair of cycling shorts was that nothing should be worn underneath. After realising recently that it's possible for pubic hairs to penetrate throuh my lycra shorts I'm not so sure now.

Anyone had a same experience or should i be changing my screen name to 'Super Pubes'?

Matt

14. numbnuts

numbnuts Guru

well it's time to get the razor out, mach 3 is good ;)

15. MattLiverpool

MattLiverpool New Member

I'd prefer to just change my screen name tbh LOL