Cycling to football

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
A wet and windy 15 mile round trip across Glasgow and back.
Midweek games in January still beat sitting in watching the telly.

Slick

Guru
A wet and windy 15 mile round trip across Glasgow and back.
Midweek games in January still beat sitting in watching the telly.
I'll look out for you and your pal who is raising money for the foundation when you both come to Ibrox. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
Made it to Celtic park yesterday.
They'd done well clearing the snow except for this bit

Attachments

• IMG_20180303_120702379.jpg
    IMG_20180303_120702379.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 54

Sixmile

Veteran
Rep. of Ireland v Northern Ireland on Thursday night.

We got the bus down from Belfast and decided that the best way to criss cross Dublin was on the Dublin Bikes. We'd to drop our bags at our hotel, then a cross city trip to collect tickets at the docks, then back to the hotel for dinner, then back across Dublin to the Aviva Stadium and back into town after the game. There's no way that we would've got where we needed within the timeframe if it wasn't for the bikes. The other two fella's do have bikes but aren't that keen but fair play to them, they loved scooting about the city and really seen that it is the only way to get somewhere on time! In fact the next day, we did a 9 mile loop around the city before boarding the bus home.

IMG-20181117-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20181117-WA0022.jpg
IMG-20181117-WA0024.jpg

Many years ago, I was about eight or nine, I had my little red bike (my first bike) stolen from outside Rhyl's Belle Vue ground. Never saw it again, the worst part was breaking the news to my mother!!

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
Rep. of Ireland v Northern Ireland on Thursday night.

We got the bus down from Belfast and decided that the best way to criss cross Dublin was on the Dublin Bikes. We'd to drop our bags at our hotel, then a cross city trip to collect tickets at the docks, then back to the hotel for dinner, then back across Dublin to the Aviva Stadium and back into town after the game. There's no way that we would've got where we needed within the timeframe if it wasn't for the bikes. The other two fella's do have bikes but aren't that keen but fair play to them, they loved scooting about the city and really seen that it is the only way to get somewhere on time! In fact the next day, we did a 9 mile loop around the city before boarding the bus home.

View attachment 439560
View attachment 439558
View attachment 439559
It really is the easiest way to get to most big stadiums.
The hire bikes in Glasgow seem to be getting well used on matchdays .
No brainer. Arrive in the city centre by bus or train and all the big stadiums can be reached easily in 15 / 20 minutes by bike

tommaguzzi

Über Member
before pay on the gate at sheffield wednesday became too expensive ( upto £42 depending on fixture!) i was always disapointed with the cycle rack at the back of the main stand. my u lock is stronger than the security rack and i would never lock my bike up anywhere outside the ground and expect it to be there after the game.
i now watch local non league matches (sheffield fc, hallam and dronfirld town. no problems there and always less than £10 entry plus i'm allowed to have a beer whilst watching the game. whats not to like. i am done with league footie now.

Sixmile

Veteran
before pay on the gate at sheffield wednesday became too expensive ( upto £42 depending on fixture!) i was always disapointed with the cycle rack at the back of the main stand. my u lock is stronger than the security rack and i would never lock my bike up anywhere outside the ground and expect it to be there after the game.
i now watch local non league matches (sheffield fc, hallam and dronfirld town. no problems there and always less than £10 entry plus i'm allowed to have a beer whilst watching the game. whats not to like. i am done with league footie now.

That's wild. We paid £41 for the international friendly last week, but really once in a blue moon for us. For me, my bread and butter is still the Irish League. £11 a match and whilst the football isn't EPL standard, it's still great to watch and there's always entertainment whether it be referee blunders, 50/50's or last minute winners, with the vast majority local players. I recently cycled to an evening k.o. for the first time and locked my bike in amongst the players and officials cars as I imagined that that'd be monitored a little more.

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
That's a shocking price.

£42 , it's not the Champions League !
Even that usually works out around £30 - £35 when we are in it.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
The Wednesday don't even play in the EPL. They play in the 2nd division now known as The Championship, but they have to complete with relegated EPL clubs who have £100m parachute money. Existing Championship clubs have to stay within the boundries of "finacial fair play" these are the clubs remember without the £100m parachute money and can only lose around £13m per year over any rolling 3 year period, £39m total. So even if as in The Wednesday's case, the owner is a billionaire and willing to spend he cant because if he does and the club do not get promoted straight away like say Wolves who gambled and won last year then the F.a hand out fines, transfer embargos and worse still upto a 21 point deduction the following season effectivly relegating said team. However the F.a has no juristiction over Premier league clubs.
The owners believe hiking the pay on the gate prices and generally fleecing the supporters any way they can will generate cash flow which will help us compete on FFP and will also encourage supporters comit to buying season tickets to lower the entry fee somewhat.

It just drove me away after a lifetime watching them. I am finished watching league football now.

Last edited:

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I think Wolves were only the 4th highest spenders in fairness..... Boro , Fulham and I can't think of the other team that spent more. We just spent wisely and picked up some good free transfers like Ruddy and Bennett.
Despite popular belief we didn't just pay our way into the Prem :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I used to watch Tottenham Hotspur in the 1980s when I lived in London.

The Corner Pin pub, literally at one of the corners of the ground, was a home fans 'lock in' before each home game.

Not only that, but you had to be invited.

I got myself in one way or another and discovered the landlord liked his cycling.

Thus I was granted secure bike parking in the yard of the pub.

I took advantage of it a few times, but I've never liked mixing cycling and beer - it was hard work getting on the bike after a couple of post match pints.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Truth.
please believe me this is not sour grapes, i am just concerned for the future of football in this country and what FFp and parchute money is doing the the leagues below the prem.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...y-football-league-finance-money-a8255976.html

as for last season.
Boro are still on parachute money, fulham were on their last year of it so they could still spend and not break FFP rules. i believe the other one was Villa who are also on parachute money. all are recently relegated prem clubs on the old lower rate of payments before the new tv deal kicked in.
sunderland for gods sake totally mismanaged and relegated again straight away to the 3rd division despite all this cash STILL get £14m for next season, how fair is that?
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...nderland-parachute-payments-how-much-14345551

Wolves recruited well and were very good last year, they were promoted as the best team no doubt. but just a quick search reveals there may have been some dodgy dealings going on.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport...s/wolves-financial-fair-play-spending-1294544
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport...ship-clubs-call-investigation-wolves-14367946
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...sed-not-paying-star-players-market-value.html

had they not been promoted and wolves were still under EFL juristiction i think the attitude of the authority would have been different to how it is now.

but wolves are in the prem and have joined an elite who look after their own and the new tv deal which has grossly inflated relegated clubs parchute money means there will now be a regular rotation of yo-yo clubs between the EFL and EPL and all others who misssed the boat can no longer compete because they are being handicapped by FFP even if they have a bllionare owner willing to bankroll the club.

how did i get into this on a cycling forum??????

Last edited:
Top Bottom