Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And very definitely be wary of anything produced by or influenced by italians.
As a male of what I tend to think medium proportions I am well used to buying large in cycling clothing.
But I have an italian bought in italy top that is xxl and just seems to me to be "normal".
A total mystery to me why the italians do this.
I tend to favour mtb or casual clothing even though amongst getting on for 10 bikes I don't have a mountain bike.

Smthers

Über Member
Did anyone on here get the Nuovo bibshorts from Ribble reduced to £15 from £68 ?

Men's are sold out, but the women's are still in stock: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/nuovo-by-ribble-womens-bib-shorts-black-15/#pid=41502

Really nice bibshorts, and the pad is really good - very smart too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Valid point. I assume you can sideload apps like trainerroad, but searching on the Amazon app store doesn't show much, and they don't mention Bluetooth protocols aside from mention of audio and LE.
You can sideload f-droid.org, then use that to install Yalp Store and get most Android apps on it... or just use the free and open stuff from f-droid but of course that doesn't include things like the proprietary trainers. It does Bluetooth 4 I think - but I've no idea what demands cycling hardware makes because I don't have any.

Went in today to SD, got sent 2 tubes instead of 2 boxes. Showed them a print out of the web page as recommended on here and the rest are now on order. TBF they were very helpful
Didn't go so well in the end, they couldn't fulfil the order as out of stock so refunded the whole lot including delivery. In the end I ended up with two tubes and a £5 voucher for my troubles

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Bradley Wiggins book Icons of Cycling is now on sale in The Works (You should have a branch somewhere near) for a fiver. Great bargain as it was only published last year with a cover price of £25.

IMG_20190920_152042166~2.jpg

Thanks - copy bought.

fossala

Guru
I would normally take a Large. I ordered Extra Large. When it arrived it said '14' on the label. If it had said 14 as the size on the website I wouldn't have ordered it as I would know that would be too small. I don't think most people would call a 14 Extra Large.

I can get it on but it is a struggle to do the zip up. To be fair, the kids said it looked ok, so I'm keeping it.

The jacket is good quality - real bargain at £9, plus £3 delivery - but it has put me off buying from Ribble again.

I did get a very prompt reply from Ribble after I suggested they have a Size Guide on the site:

"I understand that sizing for clothing is different which is why are (sic) XL is a size 14. However, we really appreciate your feedback and it will be taken on board and passed on to the correct department for future reference."

I'm new to buying cycling clothing so I think there is an element of cycling clothes just naturally being a tight fit, but I don't think many people regard a 14 as XL. It doesn't do a lot for your body confidence lol.

Great jacket though if you can get the right fit.
To be fair, work backwards. If XL is a size 14, 12 is a large, 10 is a medium, 8 is a small and 6 is an xs. My wife is a 10 and is on the higher end for her BMI, I would say she is about "medium".

Sizing isn't about making you feel good or bad, it's about getting clothes that fit.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
We're (hopefully) going to the top of Scotland next summer, so we need a quick to erect tent literally just to sleep in because it's unlikely we'll do the whole journey in one day - Tesco have very basic single skin "4 person" tents reduced to £8.50.

Not quite small enough for cycle touring but only 2.5kg :-)

48765890411_683c8da8e4_z.jpg

AuroraSaab

Veteran
To be fair, work backwards. If XL is a size 14, 12 is a large, 10 is a medium, 8 is a small and 6 is an xs. My wife is a 10 and is on the higher end for her BMI, I would say she is about "medium".

Sizing isn't about making you feel good or bad, it's about getting clothes that fit.

I didn't know that an XL was a 14, obviously. The website listed M, L, XL, not 10, 12, 14 etc.. You can't work backwards unless you know what one of the values is equal to. I don't care what system they use but it should be broadly consistent with what most people expect. I would still say that an XL to most women would be a 16 at least.

The issue is why list the sizes as M, L, XL, when the jackets are sized numerically? If the clothes are labelled numerically, why not just list the sizes as 10, 12, 14, rather than having to guess what a Ribble XL means? I wouldn't have bought a 14 in a fitted jacket.

I don't care whether a Size Guide makes me feel good or not, I would simply like them to use one that is consistent, with it's own products, and with general sizing norms. Then you would have a chance of 'getting clothes that fit'.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Just seen this on a deals site. If you spend over £1k at Rutland Cycling you can get £100 off your order. This means you could buy the Giant TCR Advanced 2 2019 for £993 and buy a £8 item, and using the code, get your order for £900. The discount codes are on the website, but not sure how long they are valid for.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/462088/products/giant-tcr-advanced-2-2019-carbon-road-bike-black.aspx

Edit: discount codes end on 30th September.

I don't care whether a Size Guide makes me feel good or not, I would simply like them to use one that is consistent, with it's own products, and with general sizing norms. Then you would have a chance of 'getting clothes that fit'.
Agree totally, it's bonkers. One reason I tend to stick with particular brands which are consistent. Particularly Altura. Might be worth you looking out for offers on the Altura Varium, an excellent jacket as many on here will confirm I think. There was a deep discount on small, others may turn up. The fact that I already have this very smart versatile top was the reason I let the Ribble pass.

simon.r

Person
Various Bobbin luggage at massive discounts:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Bags-Panniers/177833/m.html?item=333257338331&hash=item4d97af6ddb:g:ytAAAOSw~y9dHnOi&_ssn=bikeshopbridlington

Not the most practical in the waterproofing or weight stakes, but if you’re after something that will double as a satchel / man bag these look the part, IMO. And in the opinion of MrsR who very nearly commandeered the bar bag for use as a small handbag^_^

Edit - link shows all items for sale by the seller, you’ll have to scroll / sort for the luggage.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/altura-team-long-sleeve-jersey.html

Altura Team L/S jersey reduced from £49.99 to £19.99 at Cycle Republic - or £18 with BC discount.

The website currently only shows "S" in stock, but I grabbed a more sensible size in store (in black / red), much to the surprise of the shop assistant who didn't realise that they had any left... ^_^

It's a good top for the cooler months (I've already got a black/white one), and while it's debatable if it's worth the stated £49.99 RRP, it's worth £18 all day long.

wonderloaf

Veteran

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Planet X have got one of their occasional Fibonacci sales going at the moment, so you might find a few bargains in there somewhere (or maybe not going by PX's pricing strategy):
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/deals/sale
I've ordered a couple of sets of SHIMANO ROAD BR-RS805/BR-RS505 disc pads for just £3 a pair and few other odds and sods:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BSJOBDPSM/jobsworth-semi-metallic-disc-pads
Will be interesting to see how they perform.

They don't half have some random stuff. Just found a plastic end cap for one of my Vintage quill stems - the one on my Ribble has cracked - Just a quid, so added some toe straps (for additional securing of front wheels on my roof rack), a rockshox torx tool (another quid).. got to keep going as postage is £4.99.

Top Bottom