Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Has this ever come up in real life ?
I'd rather be seen and have an illegal light rather than have an approved light that's not as visible.
Difficult to tell as tickets for lighting offences aren't published in an easy way to check.

There is no evidence that variable flash rates are more visible that I've seen. Even inadequate/no lights are a far smaller contributing factor than drivers not looking, but it seems odd to hand bad drivers a possible get out option by using such obviously non compliant lights. It looks like potentially a very costly "bargain".

PLEASE don't put me in the same pedant/grinch box as Officer MJR, but:

if you've every followed a group with flashing lights, you'd realise they are not always a good thing. Definitely an examples of "What if everyone did this?" Imagine if worried car drivers start using flashing rears "cos it's gonna be foggy tonight, innit?"

Rules and laws usually have a reason behind them.

(in a group, the lights are ALL at different flashing rates!)

Mike_P

Guru
Has this ever come up in real life ?
I'd rather be seen and have an illegal light rather than have an approved light that's not as visible.
The Highway Code states
“At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.”
I wonder how many cyclists wholly comply with that.

This article describes the legislation UK bike lights law | Steady or flashing, do I need reflectors and can I be fined? - BikeRadar
The legislative document link given is to one of a series of amendments; its an on-going problem with legislative documents that when amended only the amendments to be made are given rather than the updated legislation being fully stated. The article does not say a variable flashing light is ilegal as I read it - it does say a flashing light has to be at least four candela (roughly 12 lumens) and only flash between 60 and 240 times per minute (1–4Hz); which I would suggest implies some variability is acceptable.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
The Highway Code states
“At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.”
I don’t think I‘ve ever seen amber pedal reflectors on any clipless pedals.

Legislation out of date, or manufacturers not complying? Although it may be hard to comply with all legislation in every country in the world.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I wonder what counts as the year of manufacture? Could be a Triggers Broom situation, or for the more classically minded Ship of Theseus.

Took the plunge. For the price I thought it was worth a punt. Came today.
Disappointing that the battery is pancake flat and will take 10 hours to charge.

The real let down is the app. More contradictory info than HMG's virus regulations. Sometimes it connects to the light and sometimes it doesn't. Charging levels are up and down like a bride's nightie.

I cannot even log in without agreeing to share my ride details with city planners. I never ride in cities, and who are these planners anyway?

Light is bright, at least it is at home. If battery life is any good then it could be a good purchase, but that app....??? I suspect it has been created by a bearded geek with skinny trousers and a North Korean haircut. He should stick to his skinny decaffeinated latte and get someone who understands apps and/or cycling to work for him.

Just thought I'd test the crash alert. App says it will send an message and a location. Fail. It sends a message heading but no explanation and no location. Worse than useless.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Highway Code states
I wonder how many cyclists wholly comply with that.

This article describes the legislation UK bike lights law | Steady or flashing, do I need reflectors and can I be fined? - BikeRadar
The legislative document link given is to one of a series of amendments; its an on-going problem with legislative documents that when amended only the amendments to be made are given rather than the updated legislation being fully stated. The article does not say a variable flashing light is ilegal as I read it - it does say a flashing light has to be at least four candela (roughly 12 lumens) and only flash between 60 and 240 times per minute (1–4Hz); which I would suggest implies some variability is acceptable.
if your cycling in town with lots of other lights distractions etc then a flashing light helps you be seen better. on unlit lanes etc, it mkaes it much harder for the car to judge where you are and what speed you are going, where a steady light is much better.

to many nobbers ride around with super bright flashing lights pointed at daft angles that dazzle fellow cyclists and drivers alike.

Milzy

Guru
PLEASE don't put me in the same pedant/grinch box as Officer MJR, but:

if you've every followed a group with flashing lights, you'd realise they are not always a good thing. Definitely an examples of "What if everyone did this?" Imagine if worried car drivers start using flashing rears "cos it's gonna be foggy tonight, innit?"

Rules and laws usually have a reason behind them.

(in a group, the lights are ALL at different flashing rates!)
My club members are all on flashing & I have solid.
Not sure they realise.

if your cycling in town with lots of other lights distractions etc then a flashing light helps you be seen better. on unlit lanes etc, it mkaes it much harder for the car to judge where you are and what speed you are going, where a steady light is much better.

to many nobbers ride around with super bright flashing lights pointed at daft angles that dazzle fellow cyclists and drivers alike.
This is a totally subjective view, but I think flashing may be even worse in a crowded urban environment! Drivers have no hope of figuring out your velocity vector, they're seeing a jumbled changing view. Steady lights, and stationary street markings are the easiest things to process.
/subjective_unproven_view

Top Bottom