Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The thing to watch with those is not to leave the battery in when not in use as they still draw current when switched off.
The same as Salter kitchen scales. Awful things; have got a bag full of spare batteries that I regularly dip into.

They also have curiously redundant units of measurement: millilitres and grams, plus oz and floz.

Picked up a Digital Calliper at Lidl this evening for £7.99 worth it in my book for those that like to tinker.
yes useful, but mine (maybe from Aldi) is rarely used digitally - those super tiddly battery cells are a joke.

edit - just noticed @Mike_P 's top tip, but to tell the truth can't be bothered to fiddle putting a tiny battery in every time it needs using - fortunately the old-fashioned etched on measurement scale is OK to read for most of my purposes.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Lidl cycling promo is apparently on for Sunday, and today I picked up a pair of black leather safety shoes in the remainder bin, reduced down to a Fiver! Not strictly cycling, but I took a punt on a pair and I've already been out for a ride wearing them to try out. I don't wear cycling gear, but I do like stout shoes with sturdy soles for riding in, and safety shoes give you this.

Tom B

Guru
The same as Salter kitchen scales. Awful things; have got a bag full of spare batteries that I regularly dip into.

They also have curiously redundant units of measurement: millilitres and grams, plus oz and floz.

Hope the batteries are wrappedso not so not short each other out.

Back to the scales I have some which also sho Grams, millilitres and another unit that has the ML icon but with an "M" beside it.

Putting my beer glass on the scales shows on grams mode gives 257g this weighs the same as 257ml on the (ml) mode but on the M(ml) mode it is 250Ml. I've idly speculated that it may be for milk which may "weigh lighter".

*** I've had too much beer and insufficient sleep to decide if "weigh" is the right term and to split the differences between weight and mass.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hope the batteries are wrappedso not so not short each other out.

Back to the scales I have some which also sho Grams, millilitres and another unit that has the ML icon but with an "M" beside it.

Putting my beer glass on the scales shows on grams mode gives 257g this weighs the same as 257ml on the (ml) mode but on the M(ml) mode it is 250Ml. I've idly speculated that it may be for milk which may "weigh lighter".

*** I've had too much beer and insufficient sleep to decide if "weigh" is the right term and to split the differences between weight and mass.
Blister packs in a bag; no risk of short circuit.
Am more worried by aging lithium-ion batteries in the house. Lots of them.

Lighter milk. Extra-skimmed?

Tom B

Guru
Blister packs in a bag; no risk of short circuit.
Am more worried by aging lithium-ion batteries in the house. Lots of them.

Lighter milk. Extra-skimmed?

Good Good.

I reckon full fat will weigh the least. Despite getting off my backside to go and weigh a bottle i dont have a full pint, just three part empty bottles.

I'll do it tomorrow once Ernie has been.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

It's all very tricky. You have to weigh something to find out its mass. You could measure the volume and work it out from the density, but that is more complex. I guess you could also push it with a known force and then measure the acceleration, and use that to derive the mass. But the easiest way is to find out its weight, and assume that you are on the surface of planet earth. You could compensate for latitude and height above sea level, but I doubt that you need the accuracy.

Top Bottom