Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Planet X is cheap tat anyway.
I have had five Ti bikes of different makes, the On One Pickenflick is the only one I still have, it was the cheapest and the best IMO.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Even better get them from their EBay store. The London Road is £399 on the website and £199 on EBay.
The London road is a good "do-it-all" frame. My one cost about £100 years ago and I've used it for Tours, Sportives, general riding, and its now my pub and shopping bike. I'm about to stick a Brooks Cambium on it so I can use my Carradice bag when going shopping.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I've just ordered 4 X Vittoria Zaffiro tyres. £20 + £4 carriage. I've used these for donkeys years. An ok training tyre. Planet X. Sure, expensive for some stuff but not these tyres lol

I've ordered 2. I was waiting for them to come back in stock. £4 cheaper than anywhere else.

As with anywhere, you have to be prepared to price check. A couple of things that do annoy me with Planet X are the random postage costs, which don't seem to correlate with either the size of the package or how much you spend. They have stuff cheap but then the postage pushes it over the cost of delivered from elsewhere. The other thing is the fluctuating prices. Socks can be in the Clearance bit at £1.99 one week, then £2.50 the next. They seem to have got the hang of the spell checker now though so it's a more professional site of late.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just ordered 4 X Vittoria Zaffiro tyres. £20 + £4 carriage. I've used these for donkeys years. An ok training tyre. Planet X. Sure, expensive for some stuff but not these tyres lol

I picked up some from PX recently - they are fine TBH for £4.99. Also got the 'Pro' model on my other road bike (folding = "Pro" - whoop).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I picked up some from PX recently - they are fine TBH for £4.99. Also got the 'Pro' model on my other road bike (folding = "Pro" - whoop).
commuting tyre for me lately , good balance of price , reliability and wear rate

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Spotted some Crivit ski trousers in Lidl's remainder bargain bucket for £3 a pair. They did a fine job of cushioning the bottles of Proper Job in my shopping bag. Tried them on as soon as I got home and had to take them off again after a few minutes as they were making me too hot. What kind of idiot buys padded thermal strides in the last few days of April, you may wonder? Well, the kind of idiot who spends a lot of time outdoors, and is pre-empting the few bitterly cold weeks we get pretty much every year, and would rather pay £3 a pop than the normal £17, that's who.
And yes, I do often buy my Christmas cards and wrapping paper in January too.... :laugh:

I got a few lights and a bell from Planetx - very cheap and they work just fine
One was a bit dodgy - rechargeable but the light went amber instead of green when charged - they just sent me another one with no fuss

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Doesn't everyone? Quite a few pressies are also transplanted to a spare drawer.

I suspect I'm in the minority by deliberately buying stuff when it's going out of season and therefore being discounted to clear the shelf space.
The majority of people I know generally buy stuff when they want to use it immediately or need it immediately because something has failed, whereas I do the exact opposite and buy stuff when it's at the right price, for when I will next need it.

Johnno260

Veteran
I suspect I'm in the minority by deliberately buying stuff when it's going out of season and therefore being discounted to clear the shelf space.
The majority of people I know generally buy stuff when they want to use it immediately or need it immediately because something has failed, whereas I do the exact opposite and buy stuff when it's at the right price, for when I will next need it.

I do the same, if I have need for winter stuff that isn't immediate I purchase it out of season.

I got my Merida cheap as it was a season out, only difference is it's matt blue which I preferred than a gloss finish! it was taking window space and he wanted it gone.

Before the present unpleasantness upset the apple cart, I used to wait until November for gear purchases. Next year's "best ever" gear was replacing this year's now rubbish stuff. This overlooked the fact that only a couple of months earlier this year's gear was the "best ever". Some good bargains could be had. It might be 3 or 4 years - assuming (and it's a big assumption) we get out of lockdown by Xmas 2022 - before we see such bargains again.

Top Bottom