Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What did you order Blue?
two 5kg bags (ie 10kg) of maltodextrin for £13.48 including postage.
It's arriving on Monday.

Funny you should say that. Because i checked their website again and now it says free delivery on orders over £20. :laugh:
I seem to remember that my case wasn't be being too late though, they just wouldn't honour their ad. I got in very fast and they may even have published a cut-off date for the offer that I was well within.
My advice with them and their paralallel companies is to sign up to their mailings and keep a note of their various prices/prices you have bought at and bide your time. With your 5kg to slowly work through you will be able to do this for next - assuming that you take to the stuff - the most I ever paid was for my first bag.
I don't expect to ever beat the price I just got though.
Just a pity they were out of stock of the electrolytes.

They had electrolytes too? I searched their site but couldn't find any. I really missed out in that case :laugh:

Not a terrible loss mind you as I could still just use a pinch of salt
I think they generally do electrolytes in powder (which would work out a lot cheaper than zero tabs) but were out of stock - pity as I could have bunged on a bag or two on the free postage.
At the risk of a divert (but then bargains have been thin on the ground for 18 months) do you find a bit of salt is good enough to prevent cramps on or after tougher rides? How much do you put in 700/1000 mil bottle? - am somewhat wary of overdoing things on straight salt and zero tabs or equivelent seem to work well for me.

remembered @RoubaixCube if you are after electrolytes other than just salt, there is this offer:
https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...ered-electrolyte-formula-180-tablets-60040049

second tub costs a penny.

Significantly more expensive than an offer from the other place but cheaper than zero tabs.
You will need to add some stuff to get free click and collect/postage.
If I've done my sums right I think one of those tablets has around half the active ingredients of one zero tab but it is possible that I only need that much for a ride.
There is a review (hopefully genuine) from a cyclist.
Not sure but I have the idea that they won't dissolve in a water bottle - that you will have to pop them.

If you're in the market for electrolytes then Bulk.com might be of interest:
https://www.bulk.com/uk/electrolyte-powder.html
I use one measure per bottle of water, which works out at about 10p per bottle (based on buying the 100g size and including P&P).
there was a thread on that here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/electrolyte-powder.279156/

I'd buy the bigger bags when on offer.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
do you find a bit of salt is good enough to prevent cramps on or after tougher rides? How much do you put in 700/1000 mil bottle? - am somewhat wary of overdoing things on straight salt and zero tabs or equivelent seem to work well for me.

I dont have the answer to that unfortunately - The idea of making my own 'cheap' sports drink with maltodextrin, fruit squash or cordial/concentrate and a pinch of salt to fuel my rides was recommended to me not long ago so i thought i would try it out rather than forking out £17 for another tub 1.6kg tub of SiS electrolyte.

The person who recommended it is a fair bit fitter than me and generally does a lot more cycling than i do so it seems to have worked for him or at least he hasnt complained about cramps or when it comes to cramps. How much salt you put in depends on how sweaty you get. I get fairly sweaty so i will be adding two pinches of salt for measure and reduce if the mix is just too overly salty.

I will be sure to inform you of my results as they come.

remembered @RoubaixCube if you are after electrolytes other than just salt, there is this offer:
https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...ered-electrolyte-formula-180-tablets-60040049

second tub costs a penny.

Significantly more expensive than an offer from the other place but cheaper than zero tabs.
You will need to add some stuff to get free click and collect/postage.
If I've done my sums right I think one of those tablets has around half the active ingredients of one zero tab but it is possible that I only need that much for a ride.
There is a review (hopefully genuine) from a cyclist.
Not sure but I have the idea that they won't dissolve in a water bottle - that you will have to pop them.

I think that will blow the budget on my 'cheap' sports drink mix :laugh:

In any case i think i prefer something that can be dissolved in water along with the maltodextrin so i'll probably be looking at a tub of this electrolyte if i had to have some. Ive been watching it for a while now and waiting to see if the price ever dropped which it hasnt unfortunately.

If you're in the market for electrolytes then Bulk.com might be of interest:
https://www.bulk.com/uk/electrolyte-powder.html
I use one measure per bottle of water, which works out at about 10p per bottle (based on buying the 100g size and including P&P).

Seen this company while searching on amazon, but there is some negative feedback left about the seller short changing people by not sending the correct amounts as stated on their listings. There are more positive than negative reviews about them but I think i'll stay cautious and stick with salt for the time being.

I dont have the answer to that unfortunately - The idea of making my own 'cheap' sports drink with maltodextrin, fruit squash or cordial/concentrate and a pinch of salt to fuel my rides was recommended to me not long ago so i thought i would try it out rather than forking out £17 for another tub 1.6kg tub of SiS electrolyte.

The person who recommended it is a fair bit fitter than me and generally does a lot more cycling than i do so it seems to have worked for him or at least he hasnt complained about cramps or when it comes to cramps. How much salt you put in depends on how sweaty you get. I get fairly sweaty so i will be adding two pinches of salt for measure and reduce if the mix is just too overly salty.

I will be sure to inform you of my results as they come.

I think that will blow the budget on my 'cheap' sports drink mix :laugh:

In any case i think i prefer something that can be dissolved in water along with the maltodextrin so i'll probably be looking at a tub of this electrolyte if i had to have some. Ive been watching it for a while now and waiting to see if the price ever dropped which it hasnt unfortunately.

Seen this company while searching on amazon, but there is some negative feedback left about the seller short changing people by not sending the correct amounts as stated on their listings. There are more positive than negative reviews about them but I think i'll stay cautious and stick with salt for the time being.
I've used "bulk" - they are fine if wonky up and down with offers - they may even be associated with myprotein.
I think you are doing the right thing, following the recommendation from your mate, on making up your own perfectly good riding energy stuff. I also used to use the SIS energy stuff and found it worked but it was pricey - I think the maltodextrin is just as good. For the citrus taste punch the zero tabs gave I thing I will experiment with the lemon concentrate you can get from the Aldi cooking section - not much over 30p for a small bottle - they used to do lime as well but unfortunately stopped it.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I've used "bulk" - they are fine if wonky up and down with offers - they may even be associated with myprotein.
I think you are doing the right thing, following the recommendation from your mate, on making up your own perfectly good riding energy stuff. I also used to use the SIS energy stuff and found it worked but it was pricey - I think the maltodextrin is just as good. For the citrus taste punch the zero tabs gave I thing I will experiment with the lemon concentrate you can get from the Aldi cooking section - not much over 30p for a small bottle - they used to do lime as well but unfortunately stopped it.

The thing with people buying pre-made electrolyte mixes from big brands is that nobody ever really stops to look at what it contains. They see the brand name/logo (Science In Sport) and know they are a sponsor in a lot of sports so think "Oh, this stuff must be really really good!"

if you check the labelling, what does it say??

Go-Electrolyte-1.6-Kg.-5025324006069-3-uai-768x768.jpg

93% carb mix - Either Maltodextrin (or Dextrose) Citric Acid ('fruit juice'), Sodium Chloride (salt) and the rest of the other stuff you can err on the side of, but the main bulk of the mix is carb powder. I guess Its more a sale of convenience for them but mixing your own drink doesnt even take a minute.

--- My friend says look for fructose based 'no added sugar' cordials/concentrates as having ones that contain sugar will affect how quickly your gut breaks down the maltodextrin and the absorption rate. So if youre looking at peak efficiency this is the way to go. Youre also cutting out a lot of the extra add sugar (aspartame) used for sweetener.

Speaking to another friend of mine who is a gym owner and personal trainer. He did also warn me to go easy on the maltodextrin as having too much can also have negative side effects (gut problems and possible weight gain never mind the spikes in blood sugar levels when consumed in large amounts) I tend not to go with the recommendation of two scoops for 500ml anyway. I have always had one heaped scoop for 1L water and this has never given me gut troubles or negative side effects but probably hasnt kept me as fuelled up as pro-TDF rider.

I tried to do a fair bit of research before jumping into it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Large stock of long winter bib tights (men's) in sizes Large and XL in my local Bradley Stoke Aldi, reduced to £9.99.. wore these for commuting most of last winter & they did very well.

Top Bottom