Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I passed a couple of people last week with LED helmets - I only spotted the LEDs from about 6 feet away. Pointless. Do people not check their lights before heading out ? Presumably they were just low on battery.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I passed a couple of people last week with LED helmets - I only spotted the LEDs from about 6 feet away. Pointless. Do people not check their lights before heading out ? Presumably they were just low on battery.

I am not expecting much from the lights but for the price and in need of another helmet thought it was worth a punt. At best I expect the led to possibly supplement my existing light and varia. In dark times / lanes.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

I have seen helmets with poor lights but the Planet X option is nice a bright, I’ve had mine a couple of years now and it’s great when I choose to commute in winter time.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Being invisible and protecting the rest of us from dazzle and misleading red lights shown to the sides and front when turning the head... is a feature, not a fault!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I took a punt on the led helmet, plus a few other 'essentials' on sale...

Review: Positives - LED light is actually better than I expected - no issues and plenty of flashy modes.
Negatives - The fit is terrible (way too big) I was right on the border between sizes but it's terrible anyway, so going back. Legit make me look like one of these n00bs...

rebeltroopers.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Alternative way to a LED light on a helmet is a normal rear light, of a type with a loose hooked strap fitting (Blackburn Click USB for example), fitted to your existing helmet - may need a alternative strap - a suitably large o ring for example.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Alternative way to a LED light on a helmet is a normal rear light, of a type with a loose hooked strap fitting (Blackburn Click USB for example), fitted to your existing helmet - may need a alternative strap - a suitably large o ring for example.

I always worry that anything attached to a helmet that wasn't intended to be there is a huge risk. I've had Helmets turn into straps and foam shrimps in collisions and I wonder if a small light could change the equation slightly, and introduce broken plastic to the equation...

Mike_P

Guru
I always worry that anything attached to a helmet that wasn't intended to be there is a huge risk. I've had Helmets turn into straps and foam shrimps in collisions and I wonder if a small light could change the equation slightly, and introduce broken plastic to the equation...

Interesting point when the police are encouraging cyclists to use helmet cams - sure they are more dangerous especially in an accident if it stayed fixed leading to be it being a potential pivot point.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Planet X seem to be having a genuine sale this time called “May Deals”. This Helmet which is usually £12.99 or £9.99 is now £8.49.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECACROIXSL/carnac-croix-sl-led-road-helmet

Postage is standard £3.99
Thanks for the tip @bikingdad90 , my nice new red helmet arrived today, to match my shiney new red bike. Already had one of the old Carnac ones which is a good fit (Thankfully can't vouch for how effective it is as a helmet) so was sure I'd be happy with it.

Top Bottom