Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Some time ago I bought an Altura Varium jacket linked to via this thread. It's an excellent bit of kit and has been my go to jacket for riding in temperatures from about +13 to -5 degrees* (with vents open or appropriate layering underneath as appropriate).

Down from £150 to £60 at Merlin: https://www.merlincycles.com/altura...260815981&mc_cid=ee6ff66487&mc_eid=5e320b1769

*So about 90% of the time, or is it just that the last day when it got hotter than that was so long ago I've forgotten?:rolleyes:

Edit - I bought my jacket as a result of a post by @swl in November '13 - it's lasting well!

Last edited:
Some time ago I bought an Altura Varium jacket linked to via this thread. It's an excellent bit of kit and has been my go to jacket for riding in temperatures from about 13 to -5 degrees (with vents open or appropriate layering underneath as appropriate).

Down from £150 to £60 at Merlin: https://www.merlincycles.com/altura...260815981&mc_cid=ee6ff66487&mc_eid=5e320b1769

Edit - I bought my jacket as a result of a post by @swl in November '13 - it's lasting well!
I can second that. I bought one in that swl plugged offer - less than £60 I think but £60 is still a good price. I almost look forward to riding in the rain in mine, for most cold temps i am likely to encounter in london it is fine with an aldi merino bsse layer. If its super cold in the country i might add a cheapo aldi synthetic base layer to that. Works fine.

simon.r

Person
I can second that. I bought one in that swl plugged offer - less than £60 I think but £60 is still a good price. I almost look forward to riding in the rain in mine, for most cold temps i am likely to encounter in london it is fine with an aldi merino bsse layer. If its super cold in the country i might add a cheapo aldi synthetic base layer to that. Works fine.

And you can get 4 tins of Stella in the rear pocket:cheers:

pclay

Veteran
I just activated mine, but it wants me to pay an extra £2 on checkout.
Any idea why you have to pay an additional £2? I got mine the other day through the post, and I will be activating mine in 6 months (how do they know when the purchase date was?). I wonder if a £2 fee will apply in 6 months time?

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
Anyone use the Timbuk2 messenger bag? Would love some feedback, to use both on and off bike. Have seen a few them discounted depending on size/colour ~ £40

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Any idea why you have to pay an additional £2? I got mine the other day through the post, and I will be activating mine in 6 months (how do they know when the purchase date was?). I wonder if a £2 fee will apply in 6 months time?

It is because British Cycling raised their prices since they produced these packs. Half their computer system recognises the code, but the payment does not tie up. I got an email from them saying to call them and they will put it through manually.

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
Thanks @vickster

Some time ago I bought an Altura Varium jacket linked to via this thread. It's an excellent bit of kit and has been my go to jacket for riding in temperatures from about +13 to -5 degrees* (with vents open or appropriate layering underneath as appropriate).

*So about 90% of the time, or is it just that the last day when it got hotter than that was so long ago I've forgotten?:rolleyes:

Bought mine when Lekies were doing a sale £45 I think.
Great bit of kit , until I mistakenly washed it on a very hot cycle , melted all the seams , now in the bin , heartbroken !!

GJT

Über Member
Bought mine when Lekies were doing a sale £45 I think.
Great bit of kit , until I mistakenly washed it on a very hot cycle , melted all the seams , now in the bin , heartbroken !!

I bought a Large one in Black from there, but prefer my other jackets, so only worn it twice. If anyone wants it for £43 posted, then let me know.

bruce1530

Guru
It is because British Cycling raised their prices since they produced these packs. Half their computer system recognises the code, but the payment does not tie up. I got an email from them saying to call them and they will put it through manually.

I got one, tried to activate it and entered the code, website says “cost £0”.

Got to the next page, and it said cost was £37, but voucher was worth £35, so had to pay £2.

So entered credit card details for £2, and it said

Thank you for applying for British Cycling membership.
Our database ran into some difficulty with your application and we need to speak to you to clarify some details.
Please do not attempt to complete your transaction again.
Please call our Membership Team on 0161 274 2010. Lines are open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm.

Top Bottom