Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
do you have any experience of those particular Taya chains?
(am about to replace an SRAM 850 which seems to have lasted about 125 miles - hopefully it was a lemon)

I have never bought them before, but I have had them come on bikes I've bought. They don't seem any less well made that any other well known brand. The pins are countersunk into the plates, unlike the cheaper SRAM and KMC chains.

If my old chain has gone passed the .75 mark on my chain tool I usually replace the cassette too. I also try not to use the big big / small small chainring / sprocket combinations when riding.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
(am about to replace an SRAM 850 which seems to have lasted about 125 miles - hopefully it was a lemon)
How are you determining the need for replacement?
The normal 2-prong checkers are vulnerable to mis-reading if there's more roller movement on your chain than the maker of the checker was expecting. I've heard tell of checkers showing unused chains as in need of replacement.

You can either use a 12-inch ruler and measure the distance between pins 12" apart ( 12 ⅛" is 1% stretch), or you can use a 3-prong checker like the Park CC-4, which doesn't include roller movement in the measurement

How are you determining the need for replacement?
The normal 2-prong checkers are vulnerable to mis-reading if there's more roller movement on your chain than the maker of the checker was expecting. I've heard tell of checkers showing unused chains as in need of replacement.

You can either use a 12-inch ruler and measure the distance between pins 12" apart ( 12 ⅛" is 1% stretch), or you can use a 3-prong checker like the Park CC-4, which doesn't include roller movement in the measurement
Thanks, will bear in mind for next time, but have already binned the chain. It was virtually new. On All measurements except 1, chain not even showing 0.75 per cent wear, but one showed 1 per cent. I have that other checker but found that that gave variable readings. Will try your traditional system next time, though it sure is a recipe for filthy hands. Will look up reading for 0.75 per cent wear.
Oh a separate checker also showed 0.8 wear on that stretch.
Never had this issue before, always found those checkers credible.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wonder if this anything to do with the similarly named Maya chain I bought here a little while ago? Haven’t used it much but it only cost 10cedis (£1.40.)

Amazing some of the Chinese stuff you get here. My local bike shop has brought in a alloy 42/52 square taper chainset which they sell for £5.30. I’ll buy one and post it here.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru

Can't comment on the Taya stuff. But I have had issues with durability of some SRAM stuff (8spd), I was told on here sram cheap stuff isn't all that.

My faves are kmc z8, but Shimano hg40 do the biz, but seem to get grottier than than kmcs.

Keep checking prices I've had hg40s for under £4 and pre coviditus bought half a dozen z8 at a fiver a pop. Just a case of keeping checking, but as this thread evidences there are few bargains around at the moment as most importer's/distributors and the Grey market are short of stock. I'm currently on the lookout for some hg41 cassettes ideally under a tenner.

Can't comment on the Taya stuff. But I have had issues with durability of some SRAM stuff (8spd), I was told on here sram cheap stuff isn't all that.

My faves are kmc z8, but Shimano hg40 do the biz, but seem to get grottier than than kmcs.

Keep checking prices I've had hg40s for under £4 and pre coviditus bought half a dozen z8 at a fiver a pop. Just a case of keeping checking, but as this thread evidences there are few bargains around at the moment as most importer's/distributors and the Grey market are short of stock. I'm currently on the lookout for some hg41 cassettes ideally under a tenner.
Where did you get the z8s?
The dodgy SRAM got replaced by a z8.
Edit, if you find some 8 speed cassettes under a tenner,please post
I use ones with 34T.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Where did you get the z8s?
The dodgy SRAM got replaced by a z8.
Edit, if you find some 8 speed cassettes under a tenner,please post
I use ones with 34T.

I want to say I last for them of CRC at the beginning of the year but it may have been tredz. They're not on offer now. I'm pretty sure I posted them up at the time.

Kmc seem to have updated the packaging and dropped the s from the end now so z8s are plain old z8. I asked my wholesalor associate for a price on the bulk packs of 5 they normally sell for about £28 but they're sold out. I think the decathlon home brand are the same just overlabled.

If I find any cassettes I'll let you know, until last year they was pretty nailed on at £8.99 but there is just no offers on stuff at the moment due to scarcity of supplies. I think the 30s and 32s were generally cheaper than the 34s but you'd occasionally find someone trying to shift on some of the slower moving 34s at a cut price. I normally run 30 but as my little lad is getting heavier my next block will be 32 if not 34.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
These traditional style Holdsworth Cotton Canvas and leather 30L backpacks look a good buy at £10 plus £3.99 postage from Planet X.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAHOLRBNL/holdsworth-randonnee-backpack

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAHOLHB/holdsworth-heritage-backpack

Edit - I’ve ordered one of each, I’ll report back and let you all know what they are like.

Last edited:

Smthers

Ordered the black one, but gave up on trying to add some gear cable outer as it took the delivery charge up to £6.99 :wacko:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've got the Randonnee (black) one - it's a fairly decent quality piece of kit with plenty of space, although I found it a bit stiff so haven't used it much. It may soften up with use, but I think the Heritage may be the better one out of the bag. They used to do the "Commuter" backpack which was hi-viz yellow with a large amount reflective detailing and could carry more than you'd think.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
These traditional style Holdsworth Cotton Canvas and leather 30L backpacks look a good buy at £10 plus £3.99 postage from Planet X.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAHOLRBNL/holdsworth-randonnee-backpack

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAHOLHB/holdsworth-heritage-backpack

Edit - I’ve ordered one of each, I’ll report back and let you all know what they are like.

View attachment 547623

View attachment 547624
I have been looking at these bags , I will now wait for your review.

Top Bottom