FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Cambridge - 14th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok,just a couple of questions;

I note that I have to sign up as a member of FNRttc and this mentions the CTC membership is required for (from what I can gather)mostly insurance purposes;now I am allready covered with my British Cycling membership so basically can I sign up and register for this as a 'newbie' without having to join CTC at the moment?

Plus almost more importantly where is breakfast going to be in that Cambridge or is it played by ear?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hmmm. That's funny, I've just realised I can't remember the last time I had some really tall northern bloke whinge constantly whilst I was on a night bike ride.

Amazing coincidence, eh?

Not sure of the logistics yet, but I'll have to see about coming down for this one.
Surely you mean "kept you entertained with tales of derring do from the real world north of Manchester"

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ok,just a couple of questions;

I note that I have to sign up as a member of FNRttc and this mentions the CTC membership is required for (from what I can gather)mostly insurance purposes;now I am allready covered with my British Cycling membership so basically can I sign up and register for this as a 'newbie' without having to join CTC at the moment?

Plus almost more importantly where is breakfast going to be in that Cambridge or is it played by ear?

See here for notes on joining. The Fridays is an affiliate of the CTC, so to join the former you have to join the latter.

However, if you want to dig deeper it becomes quite complicated and there are long discussions here and here (and elsewhere if you have the stomach for such details). The insurance in question is not only 3rd party insurance of riders but also ride leader's insurance

Basically the upshot is that you will need to join the CTC if you want to become a member of the Fridays. However, as @AKA Bob says above, you may be able to get on to an introductory ride without joining, provided you have your own 3rd party insurance, but you need to ask nicely first.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think this covers the insurance angle

The current position is:
  • no fixed allocation of places for non-CTC members (so theoretically we could see 10+ first timers turn up on the first FNRttC of the year and a warm welcome will be given to all);
  • but any non-CTC members must have their own third-party liability insurance e.g. via British Cycling or LCC;
  • and non-CTC members may come along on 3 rides without taking out CTC membership or joining the Fridays (paying subs).

If you've tried a few FNRttCs and decide you like them -- enough to sign up for your 4th! -- then you do need to put your house in order at this stage and join.

@mmmmartin Please do correct any of the above if incorrect! :okay:

Thanks for the responses:thumbsup:.

I'll probably ask nicely for this one then;):whistle:;still not 100% sure about this yet will decide at the week-end and check with the better half.

See here for notes on joining. The Fridays is an affiliate of the CTC, so to join the former you have to join the latter.

However, if you want to dig deeper it becomes quite complicated and there are long discussions here and here (and elsewhere if you have the stomach for such details). The insurance in question is not only 3rd party insurance of riders but also ride leader's insurance

Basically the upshot is that you will need to join the CTC if you want to become a member of the Fridays. However, as @AKA Bob says above, you may be able to get on to an introductory ride without joining, provided you have your own 3rd party insurance, but you need to ask nicely first.
Frankly the best (and friendliest) explanation I've seen formulated on this thorny issue to date! :okay:

Be careful what you are getting yourself into. ;) This could be the thin end of the slippery wedge.

:hyper::unsure:

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer

This has been a big problem. I've made 3 different trips to Cambridge starting nearly a year ago, trawling round the back streets, as well as getting several residents checking as well, trying to identify a place which opens early; can cater for a large number of hungry cyclists; has some form of bike parking which won't be covered up with student bikes and which is visible from the venue; isn't too far from the train station, and does a decent breakfast. Just about all of the large places said they wouldn't be able to accommodate us, as Saturday mornings are their busiest times. I did find one place that looked perfect, but they refused to do a traditional English breakfast, and I figured quinoa on rye bread just wasn't going to cut it for the gnarly night riders.

So the upshot is, we'll be going to an excellent breakfast spot which is the Grain & Hop Store on Regent Terrace, which just about ticks all the boxes, but they don't open until 9am, although it's not a problem if we roll up just before then. So we won't be going fast on this ride. As stated previously, although it's not particularly hilly with nothing over a 5% gradient, it's not flat. In places, there's a lot of rolling up and down stuff which does naturally slow up people anyway.

Tim Hall

I did find one place that looked perfect, but they refused to do a traditional English breakfast, and I figured quinoa on rye bread just wasn't going to cut it for the gnarly night riders.
Quinoa on rye bread with baked beans in a ramekin would be acceptable though.

andyman

Occasional tandemista
Ugh - and after the breakfast dilemma is resolved... I now see their is bus replacement from Cambridge to Ely, so no easy journey for me back to Ipswich (no good returning via London as their are works from London/Witham)

Looks like I'll be adding a 20 mile ride up to Ely then best make sure I go large on the Full English :hungry:

Top Bottom