FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Cambridge - 14th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This has been a big problem. I've made 3 different trips to Cambridge starting nearly a year ago, trawling round the back streets, as well as getting several residents checking as well, trying to identify a place which opens early; can cater for a large number of hungry cyclists; has some form of bike parking which won't be covered up with student bikes and which is visible from the venue; isn't too far from the train station, and does a decent breakfast. Just about all of the large places said they wouldn't be able to accommodate us, as Saturday mornings are their busiest times. I did find one place that looked perfect, but they refused to do a traditional English breakfast, and I figured quinoa on rye bread just wasn't going to cut it for the gnarly night riders.

So the upshot is, we'll be going to an excellent breakfast spot which is the Grain & Hop Store on Regent Terrace, which just about ticks all the boxes, but they don't open until 9am, although it's not a problem if we roll up just before then. So we won't be going fast on this ride. As stated previously, although it's not particularly hilly with nothing over a 5% gradient, it's not flat. In places, there's a lot of rolling up and down stuff which does naturally slow up people anyway.

Was that Espresso Library?

It's a (fairly)regular haunt for me on commuting days;it is very good but more of the 'healthy' sort of breakfast.

Ugh - and after the breakfast dilemma is resolved... I now see their is bus replacement from Cambridge to Ely, so no easy journey for me back to Ipswich (no good returning via London as their are works from London/Witham)

Looks like I'll be adding a 20 mile ride up to Ely then best make sure I go large on the Full English :hungry:

Will be two of us then although can't you get a direct train from Cambridge? It doesn't go through Ely so should still be running.

andyman

Occasional tandemista
Will be two of us then although can't you get a direct train from Cambridge? It doesn't go through Ely so should still be running.

Under normal circumstances yes there is direct service but I assume as there are works they are using bus replacement to Ely (nearest unaffected station) Ive had a look at a couple of route options:-
A10 - ahm, no!
River Cam towpath - very good to Waterbeach but then distinctly 'offroad' so no
East of A10 via Lode = Looks best route (and potentially linked at Waterbeach which Im investigating!)

martint235

Dog on a bike
My decision has been made for me. Apparently I'm now old and qualify for the flu jab which will be taking place on the Saturday morning!!

Under normal circumstances yes there is direct service but I assume as there are works they are using bus replacement to Ely (nearest unaffected station) Ive had a look at a couple of route options:-
A10 - ahm, no!
East of A10 via Lode = Looks best route (and potentially linked at Waterbeach which Im investigating!)

Waterbeach to Lode or Waterbeach to NCN11 to Reach is hard to find, if you have time then take the scenic route:

Follow NCN51 along the river out of Cambridge, stay on the south/eastern side of the river and keep following NCN51 out to Bottisham (pretty good cycle path) and on to Reach (minor quiet country roads) or cut across to Lode and NCN11 from Bottisham (all sign-posted) which has some gravely paths from Lode but it's still dry enough to use on road tyres.
Then follow NCN11 through Wicken Fen, which is a fairly nice nature reserve with wild horses etc and then on to Barway and along the river into Ely with great views of the cathedral. Before Wicken Fen and after Barway are some more gravely sections (1 mile-ish each) but as above they should just about be useable on road tyres if it's not too wet. It's about 25 miles that way and pretty much traffic free. There are plenty of pubs and cafes in Ely by the river and in the city centre for refuelling. There is also a cafe in Wicken Fen, but it might be closed in October.

If you are more in a hurry, Histon-Cottenham-Wilburton-Witchford is 20miles but the roads are a bit busier, but that's where most roadies/ club runs go (except @Elybazza61 he likes his A10 commutes :-) )

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
He's looking very good for 65 then!

A10 - ahm, no!

If the replacement service is just to Ely it shouldn't affect the Cambridge train as it goes out via Newmarket/Dullingham,the Ely line joins up after that and then runs to Bury S E.

Waterbeach to Lode or Waterbeach to NCN11 to Reach is hard to find, if you have time then take the scenic route:

Follow NCN51 along the river out of Cambridge, stay on the south/eastern side of the river and keep following NCN51 out to Bottisham (pretty good cycle path) and on to Reach (minor quiet country roads) or cut across to Lode and NCN11 from Bottisham (all sign-posted) which has some gravely paths from Lode but it's still dry enough to use on road tyres.
Then follow NCN11 through Wicken Fen, which is a fairly nice nature reserve with wild horses etc and then on to Barway and along the river into Ely with great views of the cathedral. Before Wicken Fen and after Barway are some more gravely sections (1 mile-ish each) but as above they should just about be useable on road tyres if it's not too wet. It's about 25 miles that way and pretty much traffic free. There are plenty of pubs and cafes in Ely by the river and in the city centre for refuelling. There is also a cafe in Wicken Fen, but it might be closed in October.

If you are more in a hurry, Histon-Cottenham-Wilburton-Witchford is 20miles but the roads are a bit busier, but that's where most roadies/ club runs go (except @Elybazza61 he likes his A10 commutes :-) )

The Wicken/Barway bit will definitely not be too clever on a road bike if it's wet.

The Reach bit is ok for a roadie from Swaffham Prior to Reach and then via Upward and on to the A1123 to Stretham;we use that on club runs but it gets avoided in the winter and the roads are a bit rough in places(nice on FMB Paris-Roubaix tubs though!)

While I do frequent the A10 for commuting the best 'main' road route would be the Histon/Cottenham one mentioned above.

StuartG

slower but further
I note that (with a card for the young, the old but not the tall) train services back to the smoke start from a bargain £3.95. No bike reservation of course but the route would appear Brompton friendly. Sadly a ride I shall have to pass on as a visiting SMT relative expects me to entertain them that night. Have fun. I'm not jealous, honest ...

Top Bottom