FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Cambridge - 14th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Final roll call:

Adam B
Adrian C
Adrian H
Adrian L
Alan B
Alex B
Andrew B
Anton B
Antonio R
Arnold J
Charles E
Charlotte B
Chris W
David K
Eddie C
Fergal C
Gary H
Gordon P
Greg T
Ian W
James H
Jenny M
Jim M
John Ma
John Mo
Kevin E
Lez Y
Martin B
Nick B
Nick L
Nigel C
Peter C
Peter G
Peter H
Rob H
Rosemary S
Sal D
Sonia W
Tim C
Tim H
Tim O
Tim W

Nice to see some names from the past appearing. I was hoping to see a +½ against a name but perhaps it's past her bed time.

After a late start, it looks like the Tims have a convincing lead. The last shall be first and all that jazz.

Anyway, you'll be getting this by email, but I don't think we'll be seeing much of the moon in the early hours of Saturday, which is a shame, as I was out riding last night and got some nice glimpses of it. It's supposed to be a Hunter's or Blood Moon this month. Hopefully not an omen. Either way, make sure you've got lights to keep you lit, as it will be a bit dark out in the sticks. On the plus side, the cloud cover means it might not be quite as chilly as I thought, so I'm sure some mad fools will still be in shorts even though it will be around 8°-10°. But make sure you do wrap up warm just in case. There shouldn't be any rain, with a light breeze, backing to become a tail wind.

A handy hint from @User10571, is to make sure you check your tyres by deflating them and removing any bits of gravel or glass you see, as often it's those things which over time work their way through the tyre to cause a puncture.

And finally, remember you don't need to lug a kitchen sink's worth of luggage with you but make sure you have enough to drink and snack on - especially if you can't face the thought of an Egg McMuffin at the Stansted Airport McDonalds!

See you at Hyde Park Corner.

Last edited:

Lee gg

Question, at what speed (mph) would this group be travelling at ?

Tim Hall

Question, at what speed (mph) would this group be travelling at ?
A relaxed pace, seeing as it's 66 miles and breakfast doesn't open until 0900. I don't know how long we'll be sampling the McDelights of Stansted airport, but if we stop there for an hour, that makes it 8mph average.

Lee gg

Thanks, I may tag along if allowed, a BC member with insurance, but not a member of your gang / mob / rabble (Lol),
Lee.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
A relaxed pace, seeing as it's 66 miles and breakfast doesn't open until 0900. I don't know how long we'll be sampling the McDelights of Stansted airport, but if we stop there for an hour, that makes it 8mph average.

Bearing in mind McDonalds, despite having 8 staff and 3 customers inside and a couple of cars using the drive-thru, took 15 minutes to serve me when I did the recce 2 weeks ago, I think we may be some time........

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Thanks, I may tag along if allowed, a BC member with insurance, but not a member of your gang / mob / rabble (Lol),
Lee.
Yes, if you ensure you've read the Basics shown here, and then use the sign-up sheet on the Cambridge page.

It will be leisurely, not only because it will take time to get past Epping, as it's a slow, steady climb up to that point, but also it's quite a large group. Plus I gave blood earlier in the week, so I'm not going to be racing!

Last edited:

Charlotte

Dissolute libertine
On the basis that I've not done one of these for a while and my ability to get a good night's sleep is shot to sh1t at the moment, I think I'm going to be riding the Brommie so I can jump on the tube when I get back home to the old metrop. Hopefully I shan't be the only small-wheeled idiot on the ride...

Last edited:

Tim Hall

On the basis that I've not done one of these for a while and my ability to get a good night's sleep is shot to sh1t at the moment, I think I'm going to be riding the Brommie so I can jump on the tube when I get back home to the old metrop. Hopefully I shan't be the only small-wheeled idiot on the ride...
Damn. I thought you were going for the fixie chic(k) option.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears

Regretfully, I'm out .... (Peter G. also due to illness).
I've done a 58 hour week already departing home last Sunday afternoon for Denmark, then on to Italy and home yesterday evening. I'm off again for another long weeks work in France again departing Sunday afternoon. I only have so much energy and powers of recovery. Sorry. Work provides bike and beer tokens.

Look forward with envy at the photos and write-ups.

May I take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Top Bottom