Horse riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Hyslop

Veteran
Seems to me too many horse riders have a poor attitude towards cyclists.

It was chucking it down today, so I rode with front and rear lights illuminated.

As I approached a horse rider coming towards me on a shared path, I was ticked off thus: "Your front light is on and it's distracting."

My reply was that it's meant to distracting, before I accelerated sooner after passing a horse than I would normally do.

A few weeks ago, my group was told by a horse rider "He (the horse) is no good around cyclists, so you'd better be careful."

If the sodding thing is no good around cyclists, the rider has no business taking it on to a shared path until such time as its behaviour is modified.

But oh no, it's the cyclists who need to look out.

There are horse riders who thank me/my group for slowing, but too many have a high and mighty attitude.

What are your experiences of horse riders?
Pretty good experiences thus far.Indeed,when I ride round a particular part of the Solway,I often pass a riding school.Sometimes,when I pass by and the riding instructor and her little charges are out(all straight out of a Thelwell cartoon)they give me a shout and a cheer! It all stems from my stopping one day to allow them to pass by,the instructor thanked me,we had a good conversation,and we both learned something.Mind you,though I know next to nothing about them,I like horses,so I'm interested to start with.For balance,I have met other riders and Ive come away with the impression that not only was their vocabulary somewhat limited but also that the horse was vastly superior in intellect.Thankfully rare the latter however.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Thank you for that lovely image.

Horse bondage anyone? :whistle:
1fb7af12da78509c8d2d5206f4dffed9.jpg

sarahale

Über Member
My horse loves cyclists. Because I cycle to see him every day and feed him carrots from my bike, so he associates bikes with food. However it's got to the point where I can be riding him and he will see a bike in the distance and get excited thinking its me. He's certainly not always very smart..

I hugely appreciate any cyclist who takes a moment to ask if it's okay to pass and who does so nice and widely. And if I ever asked a cyclist to stop it would not be because I'm snooty and think I deserve right of way, it would be because I felt the situation was unsafe.

sarahale

Über Member
Horses have a blind spot behind them and they are flight animals, so even my horse who is great with bikes could get scared by a bike approaching from behind if he had not heard/seen it coming. To suddenly see something out the corner of his eye he might not stop to realise its just a bicycle.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm surprised the conversation hasn't drifted towards the discussion of young ladies behinds in boots and tight jodphurs.
Around 20 years ago when my daughter had ponies, I used to be the treasurer of the local saddle club & did a lot of work in organising the shows. Whilst down town with my wife we were approached by several female members of the club my response of "Oh sorry I didn't recognise you with your clothes on" meaning jodhpurs, knee length boots & riding hats didn't go down too well with her.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
When I was a kid, it was a common sight to see hundreds of workers emptying out of the docks and factories ... on their bikes. Parents arriving at school to pick up kiddies .... on their bikes. Kids themselves out to play with friends .... on their bikes.
Unfortunately, for numerous reasons, the use of the bike diminished in normal day to day life. It was replaced by our growing need for the ownership of motor vehicles, making it increasingly dangerous for the kids to ride bikes for fun, leaving the feeling by some remaining riders of being bullied and targeted by other faster or seemingly more entitled road users.
Now, more through choice than need, some are fighting back for the right to use the vehicle of their choosing on our roads. They ride their bikes with pride, feeling fitter and happier for the experience. Most cyclists are happy to see an increase in the volume of bikes on our roads. They are though, constantly having to defend their right to use the UK highways using whatever form of transport they so chose.

Also when I was a kid, it was a common sight to see endless strings of pretty much bombproof horses/ponies around our streets. Local kids, riding their bikes to the local stables (there were many to choose from) hoping for a reward of a ride on their adopted favourite pony, if they worked their little hearts out, shoveling sh*t and caring for these magnificent nags/horses all day.
Unfortunately, for numerous reasons, the number of horses diminished from our roads in normal day to day life. They were driven from the roads because of our growing need for the ownership of motor vehicles. This also made it increasingly dangerous for kids to ride horses for fun on the roads, leaving the feeling by some remaining riders of being bullied and targeted by other faster or seemingly more entitled road users.
It's looks like they also will be constantly having to defend their right to use the UK highways with whatever mode of transport they so chose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom