Leeds-Scarborough 30 September 2017: The White Rose Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Im on the 7am from Scarborough so should get to Leeds around 8.25 ish , so plenty of time to get a coffee and a bun.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cheers Colin, I'll have a think, from one side I'd rather get there a touch earlier to be on the safe side, the problem is getting to Parkway in time, I may just have to get up early enough to ride there direct, it's only about 10miles or so.
OTOH ... if the earlier train were delayed then you might miss the connection, since you only have 16 minutes to play with! :whistle:

si_c

Guru
OTOH ... if the earlier train were delayed then you might miss the connection, since you only have 16 minutes to play with! :whistle:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If I leave at 5am, I can ride to Parkway for 6ish, gives me time to get a coffee and cake whilst waiting for the train.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi All, sorry I've not been dealing with this ride in the past couple of weeks but I've been tied up with work

Here are the two final route files. First is the flatter version

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21518464

Here is the hillier version

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21567538

One thing; everyone riding MUST have a means of navigating the route. I keep specifying this on my rides and people keep turning with no way to navigate and hoping to tag along. It doesn't work and it isn't fair on those who do navigate. There are gpx files, cue sheets, maps etc etc. Please don't turn up without something to get you to Scarborough

The idea is that we all ride in a group to first coffee stop at Cawood (the caravan park). We will take the same intricate route out of Leeds as last time. The only tiny difference is that, as @colly showed, riding on the main road out to Temple Newsam park is not a problem so if folk want to ride on the road rather than the cycle path next to it that's fine.

After Cawood we will keep it together as a group and will, as last time, fracture a bit on the lumpy 5 miles before the lateish lunch stop in Malton

After Malton you've got two options. The flatter route is the same as last year. The hillier route goes via the Dalby Forest. It's a few miles longer and more lumpy but nothing severe. If you take the hillier route be prepared to split into ones and twos for this final stretch. We will need to press on to get to the chippy at the same time as the flatter route riders. I will see how I'm feeling on the day and then decide which route I want from Malton

Everyone regroups at the chippy. The route files only run to there (to make sure you stop at the right place). The station is a couple of miles further, as is the pub

A warning to all participants: I currently have a small possibility I will be away on business next weekend so I may not be able to make the ride. If that happens I will post here asap. That being the case, I hope someone can offer to at least lead the ride. I can do the admin stuff in terms of prep but these rides need someone to say "OK, we're leaving" etc etc. Hopefully it won't come to that but just giving a heads up

wanda2010

Guru
Thanks for the final notes. I will have at least two of the directional aids, possibly three if I can get the gpx onto my unused eTrex 20.

Unlike the possibility of you not leading your own ride. Sort it out :ohmy:;)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A warning to all participants: I currently have a small possibility I will be away on business next weekend so I may not be able to make the ride. If that happens I will post here asap. That being the case, I hope someone can offer to at least lead the ride. I can do the admin stuff in terms of prep but these rides need someone to say "OK, we're leaving" etc etc. Hopefully it won't come to that but just giving a heads up
Feck me, dropping out of one of your own rides, that's pretty low Nick, even by your standards! Mind you, I suppose it avoids you suffering the inevitable mechanical......

I wasn't going to post this but I was out training yesterday with Decathlon Boy Jnr..... :laugh:
upload_2017-9-25_10-36-15.png

I will be there with Garmin so can pick up some kind of organisational role if you welsh on your mates!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks for the final notes. I will have at least two of the directional aids, possibly three if I can get the gpx onto my unused eTrex 20.

Unlike the possibility of you not leading your own ride. Sort it out :ohmy:;)

I know, I know. If it was just a regular ride I would be tempted to postpone it but folk have booked accommodation, train tickets etc. I should know in a day or two for sure. In the event I can't make it I will still handle the ride admin and, as a Brucie bonus, I will have a spare Travelodge reservation

Don't leave us in the hands of Skolly.

Buck

Guru
Looks like me and Gil will now be there 9am sharp (I was a doubtful myself due to ongoing health challenges)

Unfortunately not staying over but trains booked for the return leg post Fish n Chips ^_^ Hope you can make it Nick - Doug @doughnut will miss the shenanigans with the kebabs otherwise :ohmy::whistle:

colly

Re member eR
I see I got a mention from @nickyboy earlier today.
I've got relatives arriving from Oz over that weekend so can not make it. It's been planned for months so while I've been looking in and reading I've not been posting.
We have something planned on the 30th which will require an early start so can't even offer to meet you at the station and be a guide out of Leeds.

In fact it really isn't too bad getting away from the station especially on a Saturday morning so I reckon you will be fine.

The weather looks OK too so I hope you all have a terrific ride.:okay:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I see I got a mention from @nickyboy earlier today.
I've got relatives arriving from Oz over that weekend so can not make it. It's been planned for months so while I've been looking in and reading I've not been posting.
We have something planned on the 30th which will require an early start so can't even offer to meet you at the station and be a guide out of Leeds.

In fact it really isn't too bad getting away from the station especially on a Saturday morning so I reckon you will be fine.

The weather looks OK too so I hope you all have a terrific ride.:okay:

Sorry you can't make it

You're right, at the moment the forecast looks decent. 15-16 degrees, dry, with a nice SW. Not quite as warm or with such a strong tailwind as last year but good conditions

si_c

Guru
Sorry you can't make it

You're right, at the moment the forecast looks decent. 15-16 degrees, dry, with a nice SW. Not quite as warm or with such a strong tailwind as last year but good conditions
They key word here is Tailwind. Not headwind, Tailwind.

Besides given your previous estimates of headwind strength this will probably be a category 2 tailwind :boxing:

Top Bottom