Let's discuss Blair's hair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
It's a whig?

Drago

Legendary Member
This whole shirt and suit without a tie thing bugs me.

If you don't want to wear a tie, no problem, but then why bother wearing a suit at all? May as well wear shoes without socks while you're about it, or a football kit without the shorts, or a dinner jacket without the cummerbund.

If you want people to think youre a man (or woman, I guess they wear ties too on occasion) ready to do serious business then dress like you mean it. Mr Starmer is another one who looks like he got out of bed late and ran out the door half dressed. Im sure its part of a "man of the people" ploy, but Im one of the people and I want people who do serious business on my behalf to look like they take serious business seriously.

[/LACK OF TIE RANT MODE OFF]

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

If you don't want to wear a tie, no problem, but then why bother wearing a suit at all? May as well wear shoes without socks while you're about it, or a football kit without the shorts, or a dinner jacket without the cummerbund.

If you want people to think youre a man (or woman, I guess they wear ties too on occasion) ready to do serious business then dress like you mean it. Mr Starmer is another one who looks like he got out of bed late and ran out the door half dressed. Im sure its part of a "man of the people" ploy, but Im one of the people and I want people who do serious business on my behalf to look like they take serious business seriously.

"No tie", I can live with, but I don't wholly disagree with your fine rant.... get this: I went to a meeting at a large airport yesterday where a dormant terminal is being brought back to life, my colleagues (we're clients of the terminal) and I were in usual business dress (shirts, ties, dresses / jackets)... the Airport Terminal Manager greeted us in sweat pants and trainers! Because "she works from home mostly these days" apparently! It's probably time she got out of that habit, we've all worked from home in the last year, but if you're not at home then ditch the sweat pants please.
If you got bigger in 2020 that's understandable, but please buy some bigger trousers rather than meeting your business clients in your couch slouch wear.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"No tie", I can live with, but I don't wholly disagree with your fine rant.... get this: I went to a meeting at a large airport yesterday where a dormant terminal is being brought back to life, my colleagues (we're clients of the terminal) and I were in usual business dress (shirts, ties, dresses / jackets)... the Airport Terminal Manager greeted us in sweat pants and trainers! Because "she works from home mostly these days" apparently! It's probably time she got out of that habit, we've all worked from home in the last year, but if you're not at home then ditch the sweat pants please.
If you got bigger in 2020 that's understandable, but please buy some bigger trousers rather than meeting your business clients in your couch slouch wear.
To quote Richard Dreyfuss from The Goodbye Girl, "I paya da bills, I maka da rules."

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I work for a tech company, if you showed up wearing a tie nobody in the company would trust you. The sales guys might talk to you, but only if they thought they could get some commission out of your business. The world has moved on, very few companies still expect a tie, which in my eyes is great, they are hateful things.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
W

watch that blood pressure, chief :wub::wub::smooch:

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, what an insult to you and your colleagues! I bet you were reaching for the duelling gauntlett.

My nephew runs his own one building business, employs maybe half a dozen fellers. He used to go and do quotes in his rough work clobber, reporters jotter notebook in hand, turned up in the flatbed, and about 20-30% of his quotes were accepted on the spot.

He hired a business adviser, some chap who is chums with Alan Sugar and has even appeared on the Apprentice putting rhe contestants through the wringer.

Anywaye, adviser man straight away put a stop to that. He now goes in shoes, trousers, shirt and tie, and a bespoke company fleece. Instead of the flatbed he drives his own car (a 3 series bimmer, so nice but not ostentatious). Instead of a rough notepad he uses an ipad.

Almost instantly the uptake on his quotes taken on the spot shot up to the 80 odd percent mark, and for nothing more than a little bit of thought ipwith appearance and presentation he has seen a huge upswing in incoming business.

Even if they don't consciously realise it, people do generally want those whith whom they do business to look like theyre taking that business seriously. After all, of theyre lassez faire about their appearance, then it doesn't give the customer confidence that theyre not similarly careless about their work. While some sectors of industry may have moved away from it, the customer in general certainly has not.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I work for a tech company, if you showed up wearing a tie nobody in the company would trust you. The sales guys might talk to you, but only if they thought they could get some commission out of your business. The world has moved on, very few companies still expect a tie, which in my eyes is great, they are hateful things.
I wear a tie to work sometimes, but not in a formal suit kind of style, and not one of those horrible shiny striped things. I wouldn't wear a white shirt without a tie though. In fact I wouldn't wear a white shirt at all.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Great Scott!!:okay:
Dr Brown.jpg

I agree about the whole shirt & tie stuff. Blair really needs to add a faded T-Shirt with either Led Zep/Pink Floyd/ Deep Purple on it:okay:.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh, and something else.

Ties with short sleeved shirts is a massive no no! Short sleeved shirts are casual wear, not business attire. Its a tacky American practice, and we do not take style tips from the Americans. Someone really nerdy like a software engineer might just get awsy with it, but for normal people its a major style faux pas.

Top Bottom