Lidl - heads up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
Bought a set of saddle bags. As OP have said a bit in the small side for touring with but for communting/general/day rides just about right. £14.99 a pair against £20 for one from Hellf0rds got to be worth a punt.

Bigtwin

Just popped in. Gloves are OK for BT Jnr at that money, but I wouldn't bother. Shoes look good actually, but don't need any.

Picked up a seat pack/rucksac which is a bargain for the money.

Picked up a black jersey for a punt - actually very good, nicely cut, and coolmax, which for that money can't be bad. The blue colour was a bit dodgy though - black is fine.

Toolkit and pump looked very ropey.

Also got a lot of chorizio sausage for 1.50 - on for paella on Fri - whey-hey!

MajorMantra

I got:

2 saddle bags (1 for flatmate)
1 pair socks
1 pair shoes

I already have a pair of shoes from the last cycling special and they've served me well. This time they're quite a lot lighter and it looks like they've improved the strap a bit as it has more velcro on it (making it better suited to doing up tight) and feels a bit more substantial.

Matthew

MajorMantra

By the way, if there are any Edinburgh folk after Lidl stuff, the Musselburgh one had way more left about an hour ago than the Leith one. Yes, I'm sad enough to have checked both.:thumbsup:

They even have some panniers left but I wasn't terribly impressed by them so I decided to pass.

I would have like to have got some tights and maybe a jersey or two but as usual they were way too big for me.

Matthew

lozzy73

Bought the ladies jacket, jersey, trousers, shoes along with lights @2.99.

If you intend to buy the jacket, take it out and check the zipper. I bought one and the zipper was faulty so had to dash back in the hope that they had another to exchange.

Trousers are lovely and comfy as is the jacket and the jersey. I got the lights as at 2.99 for spares you can't go wrong. The shoes are really nice quality.

I would say all are true sizes. I'm a 4-4 1/2 and the size 37 were great. Got the small jersey and trousers and got a med in the jacket as I like a bit of room.

The panniers looked very good quality though I didn't need any.

Thought the gloves were rubbish compared to those sold by Aldi a couple of months ago.

I picked up a helmet. What a bargain. I was going to spend £30 on a helmet minimum so £8.99 is great. Only two sizes though but the larger size seems fine when tightened up.

l4dva

Guru
I went today, didn't go crazy like i did last time round though. only got a blue jersey, which seems ok. fitting is a little strange but it will do!
I found from last time that the buy it cheap buy it twice theory was correct. but you can find the occasional gem!
The jersey will be fine for the commutes and can't really complain for the money. The shoes actually looked half decent this time, a lot lighter and a little easer on the eyes. I would of been tempted to buy a pair but just can't justify the unnessary spend.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I bought a pannier set, as I'm tired getting on the train with my back soaking from wearing a rucksack. Trouble is, I haven't a clue if it's on the bike right. It's just the job for a commute and looks like you can decamp it from the bike for a shoulder bag (i think).
Got the shoes, ended up going for a 10 instead of my usual 9 but they felt really nice ( will get some pedals soon).
Got the pants and gave the ones at home a laugh with me in lycra but they felt comfy, also gloves and tool bag plus a thing to use if I get a puncture, need to look at that closely. All for pennies short of £50 which no doubt I will build on from there.

Plax

Guru
I went after work and there was still a fair bit left. Well, if you're a bloke there was. I don't know whether more females buy the clothing, or if they have less stuff in for females, but whenever I go there's always hardly any girly stuff left.

Anyway I digress. I bought the following;
1 pair of shoes
2 x jersey's
1 x jacket
1 x 2-in-1 saddle bag

My ramblings of each are below;

Shoes
There were no ladies shoes left in my size (7/41). There were two pairs of men's left in that size so I tried them on and they fit fine. So I bought 'em.
I'd say an excellent beginners shoe - they're not far off being as good as my Shimano shoes. Went for a ride in them and they are very good. Of course they aren't as aesthetically pleasing as some shoes but they're just as ugly as modern trainers seem to be so who cares!
Fit wise they are pretty much a "normal" fit - in Shimano I go a size up. No need to with these shoes. They seem to be a wider fit than the Shimano too so I can see them being useful in winter when you want to wear more than one pair of socks!

Jerseys
I was lucky that there was one small ladies jersey left, and in red too! This fits perfectly. Although it's a long sleeved jersey it's quite thin so I think will be nice in this erratic weather we are having, especially in the mornings when it tends to be chilly but a bit too warm for a jacket or jumper.
As the other ladies jerseys were M & L in black, I opted to also buy a medium blue men's jersey. This is somewhat baggy. However it will be useful to wear over a baselayer when it starts getting colder.
I think the sizing is a bit on the big side this time round as the M mens aren't usually this baggy on me.

Jacket
I opted for a red medium ladies jacket. This fits nicely, although I'd have liked it to be a little longer in the arms (unfortunately I do often have problems with the top fitting perfectly apart from the arms could do with an extra inch or so though). I really rather like this jacket, it has lots of useful pockets and it folds into a nice little pack. I wore it on my test ride with the shoes and it works well as a windproof (says it's also shower proof but that is yet to be determined). It also doesn't get as hot as my berghaus rain jacket so ideal for mildly erratic weather when it isn't p*ssing it down.
The folding into a pack is also handy - it has a strap which I can actually get round my waist like a bum bag. It also clips onto the top of my pannier rack, and get this - it can be used as a mini pillow. So if you're a bit short for space on your camping trip use this as a pillow!;)

2-in-1 bag
Now I'm not 100% certain why I bought this. I just did. I needed another saddle bag and thought it would be handy. It's a shame it doesn't come with tools, but I had enough spares knocking around to make up a basic tool kit. It has a compartment for tools etc, and the other bit is where the bag packs away.
The bag doesn't look particularly robust but I thought it would be handy for when I want to buy something from the shop on the way home / have a bit more than will fit in my saddle bag at home time etc.

Didn't really look at much else. I already have the mini tool kit saddle bag which is also very good. The socks looked okay but the gloves looked rubbish which is why I didn't buy any. I also didn't bother with the trousers as they have built in padding which I don't like (other than that they looked good quality).

The End......

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I wonder whether it has occured to the management of Lidl (and Aldi), that they could do very good business by stocking a wider range of cycling kit more or less permanently? They obviously have suppliers sorted. There are always lots of disappointed punters on these threads, who must end up taking their business elsewhere - I, for one, am not going to wait till next July in the hope that they will have a differently coloured jersey for sale! Most of their kit - clothing/shoes especially - is amazing value - I can't find a long sleeved jersey online at anything near their price. The only other retailer offering such good value is Decathlon, but if you don't happen to live near to one of their very few stores you are stuffed - if only they would introduce online shopping....

Top Bottom