Most overrated band?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
By over-rated, asumes that most people "rate" them.. so, according to that criteria

Later U2
Most of Led Zep
Nearly all of Jimi Hendrix and ALL of Bob Dylan (He may write good lyrics, I wouldn't know, since I can't bear to listen to his nasally whine for more than 3 seconds)

Andrew

How could I have forgotten Bob Dylan! <slaps forehead>

i love u2, okay maybe love is too strong a word, but yes, they too have to be overrated, as some see them as the best in the world too,

forgot about Elvis.- i mean, why exactly is he "the king"???????????????

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
wafflycat said:
Any 'rap' artist..

That's just silly and prejudiced and rather unlike you... sure you can pick some particular over hyped individuals, like Puff Daddy or 50 Cent, both of whom could be contenders to be most overrated, but most rap artists aren't even known or understood by the mainstream at all, or known only through tabloid misrepresentations, so how they can all be 'overrated' I am not quite sure. From the early funk-influenced days of Grandmaster Flash, thorugh the confrontational politics of Public Enemy or KRS-1, the conscious voices of A Tribe Called Quest, the humour of De La Soul and Digital Underground, the smoothness of MC Solaar or Common, the quirky, basstastic Roots Manuva to the utterly insane in-your face lesbian Yo Majesty, there's been, and is, some very worthwhile stuff out there.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've cut and pasted my nomination from the other thread:

IMO the most overrated ever were Queen (and they were generally crap to boot except for a little of their early stuff) and The Beatles who were OK to very good but ... well they just didn't rock you did they?

But I think I would add David Bowie and Elton John to that cos they're generally crap too although not of course, bands.

Add to the list any of those white American rock'n'roll bands, the kinds who actually yell "yeah rock'n'roll maaan". Also Brian Adams, Bon Jovi, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, all utterly pointless, empty, soulless, very American trash.

With so many over-praised yet truly mediocre acts already mentioned, it's amazing that no one has yet brought up the whine-fest that was Joy Division.

They make (made) me want to dig my eardrums out with a fork, yet critics and music fans alike all seem to be waiting for the second coming of Curtis.

f

wafflycat

Well, I was going in for a bit of a generalisation. But hey, I've had a shite day & I'm knackered.

Forgot.. almost..

Brotherhood of Man
Will Smith
Beach Boys
Nirvana
Mariah Carey
Britney Spears
Cilla Black

You can tell I'm taking this seriously..

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Flying_Monkey said:
…sure you can pick some particular over hyped individuals, like Puff Daddy or 50 Cent, both of whom could be contenders to be most overrated, but most rap artists aren't even known or understood by the mainstream at all, or known only through tabloid misrepresentations, so how they can all be 'overrated' I am not quite sure. From the early funk-influenced days of Grandmaster Flash, thorugh the confrontational politics of Public Enemy or KRS-1, the conscious voices of A Tribe Called Quest, the humour of De La Soul and Digital Underground, the smoothness of MC Solaar or Common, the quirky, basstastic Roots Manuva to the utterly insane in-your face lesbian Yo Majesty, there's been, and is, some very worthwhile stuff out there.

indeed. with that in mind, can i nominate kanye west?

(old skool hip hop is great, what seems to pass for hip hop and rap theses days seems to be commercial oriented cliché-ridden drivel).

Wolf04

Manic Street Preachers.

Just never understood what the fuss was all about.

Beatles have been on every best band, best album list ever compiled so they have to be the most over rated.

Top Bottom