FNRttC Night ride to Whitstable, April 22nd, 2016 (Starting at Tower Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm out.
Work commitments prevent me from taking Friday off - which would mean a world of pain which I am not prepared to undergo.
Gutted.
I hope you all have a very fine ride.
The rain forecast?
No big deal. Really.
Pack your waterproofs and get on with it.
You'll live.
And have some fun!
Unlike. You will be missed.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Well done @User you passed the test and read the email:smile: many won't.
I'm still expecting a phonecall from someone at HPC wondering where everyone is

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Good choice of start point. If I miss the train of choice (2138, so really dependent on making a few minutes time) the next one (2208, arrives Waterloo 2323) will be in plenty of time to get there for 2345, it's only a couple of miles.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bought some rainlegs a long time ago, but I've never used them. Friday might be time for their first outing.

EatSleepRideRepeat

AKA Martin from Wales
I should be able to navigate to the new start point, even if my knowledge of London is pretty much zero, I do have an hour to travel 6 miles :laugh:. Resisting the desire to look at the forecast, it won't change anything anyway. Now, where did I put that brolly. See you all there.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I've just signed up! See you Friday.
Pleased to see @jefmcg on the ride, last time we met was on Windsor-Chester-Windsor.
alas I can't do the ride because I'm busy from early on Saturday morning - I was hoping to come up on the train to see you off but engineering works mean the last train back for me is too early.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Where exactly around Tower Bridge is the start point? Trawled through emails and can't find any confirmation.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Where exactly around Tower Bridge is the start point? Trawled through emails and can't find any confirmation.

Dear fellow Fridays,

It is just 3 days until our latest FNRttC ride to Whitstable and we now have over 65 people signed up.

As previously stated I have decided to move the start location to near Tower Bridge. This is because of the ongoing building work on the cycle superhighways that is causing massive congestion across Central London. The actual start location is going to be the entrance to Potters Field on Tooley Street.https://goo.gl/maps/WUA64nH39VB2 This is a few hundred metres East of London Bridge, opposite the Bridge Lounge Bar. Please aim to arrive before 11.45 so I can check everyone is present and give a briefing.

I did the ride last Friday with a couple of helpers, to check the route. Unfortunately we discovered some roadworks in the Erith Area that could be an issue, so we are likely to make a diversion which will require us to climb an extra hill, which You may be glad to know isn’t Shooter’s Hill! And because it is early in the ride, will not cause any of you any issues. The ride will be about 67 miles long in total.

We will stopping at the English Marty’s Parish Hall in Strood, which is our half way point. I have cajoled a number of volunteers to assist with providing refreshments and we will be serving hot drinks, assorted rolls and home made cakes. The profits from this will go to Step and Learn a small charity that provides conductive education to children with disabilities.

On arrival in Whitstable we will be stopping at theWaterfront Cafe which is famed for its fantastic views, food and drinks (including beer)

The weather forecast (from a number of sources) is that it is likely to stay dry and we will have a slight breeze over our left shoulders. However it could be as cold as 3 degrees, so make sure you bring some layers and a waterproof in case of showers.

As you can appreciate our halfway and final stops need to know the numbers attending so they can finalise the catering arrangements. So if you cannot make the ride can you please let me know by the end of the day on Wednesday 20th April

Finally, please make sure that you have given your bike a good check over, particularly making sure that your tyres are in good condition as this is the most common reason for punctures and subsequent delays to your fellow riders.

Looking forward to seeing you all at 11.45pm on Friday night by Potters Fields.

In case of emergency my contact number is 07906 733490.

Tim

Whitstable Ride Leader.

StuartG

slower but further
Rendezvous Nouveau?

New start implies those of a Southern, SouthEastern or even [whisper] from north of the river using Thameslink [/whisper] disposition will be terminating at London Bridge rather than Victoria - shall we keep to the 'opposite platform 12' mantra at LBG from 11pm onwards? With the blind leading the blind around 11:40 to the official start. Or shall I be lonely?

Last edited:

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Rendezvous Nouveau?

New start implies those of a Southern, SouthEastern or even [whisper] from north of the river using Thameslink [/whisper] disposition will be terminating at London Bridge rather than Victoria - shall we keep to the 'opposite platform 12' mantra at LBG from 11pm onwards? With the blind leading the blind around 11:40 to the official start. Or shall I be lonely?

Cafe Nero under The Shard in London Bridge Station is open till midnight. So sounds like the ideal meeting point for a pre ride coffee from 11pm.

If no one else turns up I will be there.

Top Bottom