Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The word winter comes from the Germanic wintar which in turn is derived from the root wed meaning 'wet' or water', and so signifying a wet season.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ancient Romans didn’t measure time in our 60-minute hours; instead, they divided daylight and darkness into 12 increments each, a system they adopted from the Egyptians. In Rome, that meant an hour was about 45 minutes in winter and 75 in summer.

Hours would have governed meetings, courts and dinners, but not in the carefully structured way so many of us experience today.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As @classic33 says, sunlight days were divided into equal parts for hours BUT where Classic goes wrong is that 24 sunny "hours" still =one day. In those days they got far more sunny periods with loooads of sun so they could get so much sunshine that our 1 day equalled 2 and sometimes 4 or more of there's.
The evidence for that is that the Bible quotes Adam as living 930 years and in Methusela's diary (of which I have a copy) he lived 969 years.

classic33

Leg End Member
In Ancient Egypt, the summer solstice preceded the appearance of the Siriussta which the Egyptians believed was responsible for the annual flooding of the Nile that they relied upon for agriculture.

Because of this, the Egyptian calendar was set so that the start of the year coincided with the appearance of Sirius, just after the solstice.

classic33

Leg End Member
"Two things in life that you can't do without, I heard it from my mother, a good pair of shoes and nice new bed, if you're not in one you're in the other."

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
"Two things in life that you can't do without, I heard it from my mother, a good pair of shoes and nice new bed, if you're not in one you're in the other."

The ballad of mattress mick

classic33

Leg End Member
Donald Tusk is named after an elephant that Donald Trump shot while on safari in 1984.
Nearly, he was the one going "tisk, tisk" when he'd shot it. Mis-reported as "tusk, tusk" due to the proximity of the "I" & the "U" on the keyboard.

Besides when was the last time you saw an elephant named Donald?

Drago

Legendary Member
Recently retired US Secretary for defence, General "Mad Dog" Mattis, earned the Mad dog nickname when he once ate a kebab in France. It turned out to have been made from the carcass of a rabid dog. My how he chuckled when he found out.

bruce1530

Guru
General Norman Schwarzkopf, commander of Operation Desert Storm was known in the press as “Stormin Norman”. He gained this nickname as a new recruit, when he was initially assigned to the Logistics & Supplies Division of the 51st Infantry. His potential was immediately recognised and he was promoted to be in charge of the warehouse, and the nickname “Storeman Norman” stuck with him throughout his military career.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
General Norman Schwarzkopf, commander of Operation Desert Storm was known in the press as “Stormin Norman”. He gained this nickname as a new recruit, when he was initially assigned to the Logistics & Supplies Division of the 51st Infantry. His potential was immediately recognised and he was promoted to be in charge of the warehouse, and the nickname “Storeman Norman” stuck with him throughout his military career.

It's a little known fact that before joining the military, Norman Schwarzkopf (as he was then) invented hair dye.

Top Bottom