Older Super Galaxy - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Just heard from Dawes yesterday that my lovely Super Galaxy that I bought for a bargain price recently is older than I thought. It was made in 1992, even more surprising considering the excellent condition it's in. But it makes it seven years older than the GT Outpost it's replaced - ! :rofl:
But comparing the build quality and handling, no contest - ! :thumbsup:

postman

Legendary Member
I let a Super Galaxy go ten years ago,it went to the big smoke.25" frame, shifters were in the bar ends,and you could have two different gear changings.A mixte paint job,three colours green,blue and gold flecks,the green being the dominant colour,now ten years later,I wish I had kept it,and got rid of the giant Rincon bike.

GuyBoden

Guru
My Galaxy is 1977, I've changed wheels, drive chain, but obviously I've kept the suicide levers.

dawes-galaxy-tatton-park-jan-2021-jpg.jpg

Punkawallah

Über Member
Now there's a bone of contention - do you change the 'suicide' levers because they don't work, or keep them because they _don't_ work?

:-)

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
do you change the 'suicide' levers because they don't work, or keep them because they _don't_ work?
The GLW had to have pillock levers fitted to her Bianchi Sanremo because she has small hands, she couldn't safely reach the supplied brake levers.
Other than that, it's a style thing surely - ? :whistle:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The GLW had to have pillock levers fitted to her Bianchi Sanremo because she has small hands, she couldn't safely reach the supplied brake levers.
Other than that, it's a style thing surely - ? :whistle:
any decent husband would have fitted cross top /in line interrupters, because they actually work:okay:

1628068014412.png

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Good point, but they were'nt about at the time of purchase. :whistle:
However, thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup: I've enquired at my LBS for a price of supply and fitting of same.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Good point, but they were'nt about at the time of purchase. :whistle:
However, thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup: I've enquired at my LBS for a price of supply and fitting of same.
:laugh::laugh:
They are pretty cheap to buy and very simple to fit yourself. It clearly involves a re thread of the inner cable and cutting and filing the ends of the outer at the appropriate point. They are mechanically very simple - compressing the outer cable, effectively making it longer and hence apply the brake

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Suicide levers work fine for normal speed control so long as you haven't got badly out of true wheels or you let the brake adjustment go. If you're riding fast enough that a sudden stop would need hard braking, then ride on the hoods. It ain't rocket science. When you're just pootling along on a road with clear visibility you should never need to be braking that hard anyway, the idea is watch where you are going and anticipate.

GuyBoden

Guru
Suicide levers work fine for normal speed control so long as you haven't got badly out of true wheels or you let the brake adjustment go. If you're riding fast enough that a sudden stop would need hard braking, then ride on the hoods. It ain't rocket science. When you're just pootling along on a road with clear visibility you should never need to be braking that hard anyway, the idea is watch where you are going and anticipate.
I totally agree, suicide levers are great for applying a small amounts of braking when pootling. Yes, anticipation is the key to riding safely.

Reactions: C R

si_c

Guru
I totally agree, suicide levers are great for applying a small amounts of braking when pootling. Yes, anticipation is the key to riding safely.
Yeah, I'm not convinced that they are as bad as they are made out to be, that's not to say they are good, but they do have some limited utility. That being said they're not for me as I really like keeping a clean handlebar area, I don't even like having lights mounted on the handlebars, it drives me mad.

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you're riding fast enough that a sudden stop would need hard braking, then ride on the hoods. It ain't rocket science.
you missed the point about small hands though, very hard to brake from the hoods, hence the suicide levers and suggestion for cross tops...

mind you its not unlike you to ignore whats been said and recommend *steel frames pulled from skips / cotter pins / quill stems / short trousers in the winter.:laugh:
* delete / add to as applicable

Top Bottom