Rapha Festive 500. Anyone doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
30 miles left for me, all done indoors, When it was snowing this morning I was happy to be inside.

Definitely easier on the trainer than being outdoors, but has been harder than I thought it would be. Mind you after doing nearly 250 miles I decided to follow the set up guidance that came with the trainer and I had the seat 4 inches too low and similar on the bars. :rolleyes:

13 rider

Guru
If you get desperate you can use my trainer on NYE, Cafe is open for coffees and Christmas cake.
Thanks for the kind offer ,but for me it's outside or bust . probably not really wise to mix households at this time anyway . I have resigned myself to the fact it might not get finished not going to take to many risks just for a swimming badge

I *think* I'm on 80-90 to go. Need to properly upload! plan is to do it tomorrow, starting mid-morning to avoid the slight ice risk (roads were pretty dry today, apart from the obvious residual flooded bits). Weather on Day8 doesn't look any better, and there is every chance it will change for the worse, so best to get the runs while I can.

The psychology of this has been really interesting; what with the varying weather/floods, and reading others commentaries, with your differing strategies and environments!

EDIT: my numbers, so I don't lose them (and because battery issues meant I don't have a proper log 🤦‍♂️ )
Day 1+3 rides: 209k
Day 2 walk: 13k (Christmas day walk - sacred!)
Day 4: 87k (included cheeky ride to Halfords for bits)
Day 5: 39k
Day 6: 75k
Total: 423km over 6 days, so 77 to win, at a rate of 38.5.

Last edited:

Tribansman

Veteran
75 m left to go & the weather is atrocious. I’m trying to go 100% outdoor as it’s seen as a tough winter challenge. Anyone can pootle indoors watching Netflix super comfortable. If you live in Canada or Alaska I’ll let you off.

Yep, I'm trying to do fully outdoors too. Have 108km left but am working today and tomorrow, so am thinking 2x local loop rides on main roads I know should be clear of any ice. Hoping to get 70km done tonight, just leaving 38 for the final day.

I did hope to do a longer ride yesterday but went out for 15 miles off road with my lad and although great to be out together was very slow going so was freezing by the time we got back and couldn't face going out again in the cold, on my own, in the dark! :cold:

shnjmsn

Über Member
Final 36K cracked off this morning on very icy slippery roads........... Pleased it's over to be honest, it's been............ errrrrr.......... emotional ! I think the weather played a bigger part this year, more so than any of the last few years I've done this thing...........

Glad to have made it again anyway this year, I think 5 of the last 6 completed now. Seemed harder what with the weather this year, or am I just getting older ! 🤔

Anyway, huge luck for the last few miles one and all, I hope you manage to complete it in whatever way you are doing it ! :notworthy:

Happy New Year and here's to many more miles of staying upright and being allowed back into the cafes and pubs again to help support our cycling !!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Very nippy out first thing. But once the sun came up it was a nice day for cycling. Managed 115k on a very unethically flat route out to the Hoo Peninsula via Gravesend. 24k to go.

1609341007695.png

Top Bottom