Ridden into by another cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
cupoftea said:
Sorry it's just some people appeared to belive that 700x28 would allow you to stop quicker than a 2.1x26.

I suppose my frustration is I see poeple in traffic travelling faster than they can get away with an all sorts of bike.

Wonder how many people just slam on the front or rear brake? Its good every now and again to read explanations of the theory behind how and when to use both.

Like I said - main variables the rider

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hairy Jock said:
Reaction time is a red herring, it is looking and thinking ahead that is important, anticipate the hazard and you will have time to do something about it. He was just riding at a speed beyond his ability.

BentMikey said:
Is that not what I was saying?

Can't quite get used to agreeing with you Mikey...

The point seams to have been lost somewhere above though, it is not what you are riding that determines whether you stop, it is how you ride. There people out there riding like drivers, brain in neutral. Before applying foot to peddle, engage brain...:becool:

Tynan

Veteran
cupoftea said:
Tyran

This is where is gets complicated

As the weight goes up and the amount of friction the tyres can now produce is not increasing as fast, the payoff is diminishing in relationship to the force of momentum.

There is a point of diminishing returns

The size of a bike tyre is a trade off between a number of factors;

On an MTB braking and traction has a greater level of importance than rolling resistance. On a road bike reducing rolling resistance is the major concern.

is any of that in dispute? indeed, is any of it not common sense?

atbman

Veteran
I first deploy the rear parachute, then fire the retro rockets, before applying my 20" carbon fibre disc brake with maxistoppium pads. If there's anyone who can stop their bike from my maximum speed of 304.6mph, I've yet to meet them.

Ne-ne-ne-neh-neh

Tynan

Veteran
ah, but what sort of stopping distance do you need?

and what's the tightest corner you can manage?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
yenrod said:
Ive got a degree in the boring police :biggrin:

mt1165223067.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin:

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
2 inches of mtb tyre will stop much quicker than a thin treadless road tyre because you have more material in contact with the tarmac. And yes I have had 2 road bikes before and do know what I'm talking about. I do loathe these self rightious, know all road divas that think they they are the queens of the road.

domtyler

Über Member
Well just to wrap things up, I think the one thing we can conclusively conclude from this is that I can definitely stop quicker on my fixed wheel road bike than any spotty little oik on a fat wheeled MTB.

CASE CLOSED.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
no mention of disc brakes?

I think it 'cos the limiting factor is generally the tyres. Properly set up, in good conditions, you'll be able to lock up the wheel with most of the brake types?

Tynan

Veteran
ah but what if it's wet?

most consider disc performance at least as good and better in some conditions

and I was mostly joking btw

anyhow, the way people brake too, their position on the bike etc etc, laods of factors

domtyler

Über Member
You can't beat the engine braking effect that you get from a fixie, the elimination of reaction times etc. will always win this particular competition.

Top Bottom