Show us your bike as it was originally sold on the wayback machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently bought a Carrera Subway frame and forks of 2009 vintage which I'm planning to make into a gravel bike. So this is the advert for the bike on the halfords site of that year. A very reasonable £189 back then. I'm going to make it into a part's bin type bike with lots of parts I have. Probably 10 speed with a oval 38T chainring. I have some road brake levers from aliexpress which are designed for mechanical disc so assume also suitable for V brakes as they would be for standard flat bar brake levers. Anyway just wondered if any others could find their bike from the past on the wayback machine. If you can't find the manufacturer site sometimes you can find the bike on a big retailer site.

https://web.archive.org/web/2009012..._productId_240399_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Also here's my folding bike which I paid £30 for a few years ago. Sadly Bicycles4u are no more but did some very well priced folding bikes.

https://web.archive.org/web/2015020...ections/folding-bikes/products/paris-explorer

All uphill

Still rolling along
As it was in 1996

As it is now

All uphill

Still rolling along
That's a cool looking bike and pretty much the same sort of thing I will be doing.
Thank you!

You can't go far wrong with a decent steel frame as a basis. I bought the Marin for a few pounds 4 years ago and have gradually replaced parts until its perfect for me.

How different would the end result be if I'd started with a £500 Surly frame and fork rather than a £25 Marin frame and fork? Not much, I guess.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well in order of age, a screenshot of the Dawes 1993 Catalogue shows how my Super Galaxy looked on the day I bought it:

This is how it currently looks:

My 2016 Kona Sutra LTD looks like this online:
https://konaworld.com/archive/2016/sutra_ltd.cfm

This is how mine looks today:

Then there is my self built Bamboo bike, this is how it looked when advertised:

This is how it looks currently:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The oldest bike I've got is only about 13 years old, but here it was new.
Screenshot_20211225-173224_Chrome.jpg

And now. It's pretty similar, tyres and saddle changed in that time, and a rack and mudguards were added early on, lights, lock holder, towbar for a gator.
20190826_183903.jpg

OP
OP
B
Thank you!

You can't go far wrong with a decent steel frame as a basis. I bought the Marin for a few pounds 4 years ago and have gradually replaced parts until its perfect for me.

How different would the end result be if I'd started with a £500 Surly frame and fork rather than a £25 Marin frame and fork? Not much, I guess.
It seems like back in the 90s and maybe early 2000s chromoly steel frames were the norm as the one step up from basic high tensile steel with aluminium being more expensive but now it seems like aluminium is pretty damn cheap and chromoly steel is now in the higher price bracket so like you I suspect there wouldn't be much difference between those frames.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Take that European Bike Snobs!

1640596136534.png

My much loved 2006 Litespeed Tuscany is still going strong, although everything bar the frame has been replaced at some point. Right now it’s on the turbo but it still does plenty of outdoor miles.

It’s survived several proper accidents, had a trailer attached to take me to watch 3 TdFs and generally gets treated like crap, but still looks fresh.

Edit - from its last major refit. It usually rolls around on some Zipp 404s these days. The combination of carbon and titanium just looks great.

1640597077186.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom