Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Today is carp. Its hissig down with rain, its windy, and its dark. I think I'll just look through the window at it. Have a good day everyone. I may get the turbo trainer up and running.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@Stonechat Bob you and I are very similar
upload_2014-10-6_8-32-17.png
upload_2014-10-6_8-32-49.png

You generally ride further than I do on a ride, but I can put up multiple rides a day like on the WNBR the day was split into five rides, to the group and back, to York, the ride and home.
Again per ride you climb more and are a little quicker at it, maybe the weight of the Viking is showing here.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As you say just keep working on the hills, it all depends on what hill I am climbing http://www.strava.com/activities/203656164/segments/4799342753 this is 158ft in 1 1/2 miles or 100ft a mile, I manage an avg of 12mph on it today, but today was a poor performance, on a flat road and lack of wind I will do 18-20mph easy enough can sprint faster.
It seems you need to work on your Cardio/Vascula system as you should be able to sprint upto 60's depending on fitness ect.. (this is why a 400m race is a sprint and an 800m one isn't)

Nigel - quick question for you.

Is there any software (I use GC) that works out the amount of climb vs the distance actually spent riding uphill during a ride?

I look at my numbers and they sometimes look much lower than it felt like - a typical ride for me is 50-80'/mile with occasions a bit over 100'/mile. But the distance it is measured over includes all the downs.

As a rough and ready I can double the climb rate by assuming that half the ride was up and half the ride was down but that might be well out.

Not a biggie - just wondering though.

SpokeyDokey

I think an aqua bike with balloon tyres and a sail would work well today!! Needless to say, I am not cycling. Just trying to pluck up the courage to don full wet weather gear just to give the dog a quick walk.

I think it's going to be loooooooonnnnnnnnggggg day :sad:

Yes, not good Mo. Talking of pets - is that moggie of yours behaving itself these days?

SpokeyDokey

Contemplating the day ahead:

Read book (Kindle), empty dishwasher, make bed, "put the hoover round" as per instructions from Lovely Wife who has heavy day at work installing new server, put some things in the attic that have been attic-bound for about 3 months, talk to mate in Poole who I have not spoken to for a while, talk to mate in Lancaster who I am (hopefully) heading into mountains with on Saturday - we need to decide on breakfast arrangements with Little Chef {Penrith) currently being the favourite, have shower, "cook tea" as per instructions from Lovely Wife who has heavy day at work installing new server, make fire, ensure bottle of wine is divided up precisely 50:50, watch TV, go to bed.

Exciting stuff!

@Stonechat Bob you and I are very similar
View attachment 58299 View attachment 58300

You generally ride a further than I do on a ride, but I can put up multiple rides a day like on the WNBR the day was split into five rides, to the group and back, to York, the ride and home.
Again per ride you climb more and are a little quicker at it, maybe the weight of the Viking is showing here.
Well especially since the flooding, Mrs S is somewhat down and I don't like t go out too often, so have settled on a routine of about 3 rides per week, 2 usually longer (35 - 40 miles with occasional longer ones), and one usually shorter
I have made an effort to try to include more hills, but it is not that much
I want to do more next year and may take the bike to hilly areas on a Sunday morning, I have a hankering to do the Surrey Legs of Steel. I will not do lionger than 100 miles but may do more climbing.

I give a once a month class in the local U3A since retirement, so have to prepare tomorrow's lesson today.
Wife has the car, but not sure about the forecast tomorrow, may get her to drop me off.
Whole week looks showery at least.

Contemplating the day ahead:

Read book (Kindle), empty dishwasher, make bed, "put the hoover round" as per instructions from Lovely Wife who has heavy day at work installing new server, put some things in the attic that have been attic-bound for about 3 months, talk to mate in Poole who I have not spoken to for a while, talk to mate in Lancaster who I am (hopefully) heading into mountains with on Saturday - we need to decide on breakfast arrangements with Little Chef {Penrith) currently being the favourite, have shower, "cook tea" as per instructions from Lovely Wife who has heavy day at work installing new server, make fire, ensure bottle of wine is divided up precisely 50:50, watch TV, go to bed.

Exciting stuff!

mine involves a bike ride! I have arranged with someone from CC to come over and look at and test ride our off-road touring bikes because he has an appointment booked with the same company on Wednesday to talk bikes with them and wants to have some experience with the Rohloff hub before he goes down... (+300 miles each way). He's coming over on his motorbike this morning... so full waterproofs it will be! But first I have to fix the fairy visit on my OH's bike so that we can actually test it - seems his semi bald rear tyre is giving up the ghost! now goes off to try to track down the fairy... :whistle:

but that said, the worst of it has now gone through here and it looks like it is only the wind and very light rain we will have to deal with by the time he has arrived, had a drink and we have talked technical about bikes for a while... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Nigel - quick question for you.

Is there any software (I use GC) that works out the amount of climb vs the distance actually spent riding uphill during a ride?

I look at my numbers and they sometimes look much lower than it felt like - a typical ride for me is 50-80'/mile with occasions a bit over 100'/mile. But the distance it is measured over includes all the downs.

As a rough and ready I can double the climb rate by assuming that half the ride was up and half the ride was down but that might be well out.

Not a biggie - just wondering though.
RWGPS gives ascent time so if you take that and elevation gained you get elev/ascent time= ft/hr or convert the ft to meters and get an average V.A.M. the bryton site gives uphill distance and up hill riding time, and it accepts fit files, though I am not sure how accurate it is as I really only have the R20 data to go off, and it isn't very reliable.
RWGPS I have found corrects tcx files quite well, but the fit files from the 500 tended to have trough and peak spikes on correction which is why my ft/mile last year I think are a bit high

upload_2014-10-6_9-37-5.png

If you ride starts/ends at the same place the true ft/mile is half the distance, I believe
The climbbybike formula will give an indication of how difficult the ride was in real terms, as it takes climbing into account, I have some short rides using this that turn out to be more difficult than longer riders.
I can go into in further detail later, I have some painting and wiring to do today.

This is the formula if you want to us it in a spread sheet or data base
CLIMBBYBIKE-INDEX
(H*100/D)*2 + H²/D + D/1000 + (T-1000)/100
Whereby: H = difference in height; D = distance in meters; T = top of mountain in meters

The last part of the formula does only apply to mountains above 1000 meters.

I would need to look at how I use it, as the the later bit doesn't apply to me and I may well have dropped from the formula, I think it went something like this h=elevation gained d=distance this gives a number which is quite low and I multiplied it by a number to give a workable number, so long as it consistent from ride to ride it doesn't matter as its relative to your rides.

You can see from this that yesterday was actually more difficult than the ride of 43 miles
upload_2014-10-6_9-53-15.png

This also shows the difference in the two units and rwgps corrected data from the 705, the lue is my ride to group on Friday mornings and the red just shows how another shorter ride can be more difficult.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Fifty miler again yesterday, chilly start :cold:but soon warmed up on the first climb:heat: and was ok after that, Still in shorts, although I did see lots of people out riding in full winter gear, one even had a balaclava on:eek:.
Not looking good this week for riding, Rain and strong winds:evil::rain::sad:
I noticed that, compression vest t-shirt and arm warmers, did carry some leg warmers just in case.

puffinbilly

Veteran
Normal 50 mile spin for me yesterday - was out early so Aldi winter jacket was used..... a little too warm by ten in the morning. The times definitely starting to slip with the colder weather. I was out on a new hybrid - that's been sitting in the garage for five months waiting for me to sell the other one - everything on the new one seems to be dry - need to get some grease into the hubs and everything just seemed a little strange. I'm now wondering if I should sell the new one and keep and spend money on the old one. The two bikes are the same model - but the new one seems to have inferior components in it - feels a little plastic in comparison with the old one - might just be newness.

If I thought my new hybrid was not quite as solid as the old - I saw a true wheel buckle yesterday. I saw a couple of guys walking towards me and asked if they were ok - they replied they were but he wasn't.... their mate about 50 yards back pushing his bike up the hill - the wheel was split in two with half at a 90 degree angle to the other. I thought he had been in an accident with a car but no, it gave way coming up the hill - upon closer inspection it was a BSO. If it had been made of cheese it would have probably been better made!

Spokeydokey - sounds like your trips in the hills of the Lakes are a little like mine......fuelled by the all day breakfast of the Little Chef on the A66 outside of Penrith. Where are you headed? Really envious - not been across to the Lakes since eary summer and looks like my road bike that is still there, will be there to at least Christmas.

Top Bottom