W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Heard a rumour that all heart rate functionality is premium only, but didn't wear a strap so can't comment.
I just went back and looked at some rides I recorded while wearing a HRM. It gives average and max HR, on the summary page, but that's all.

There's a list of subscription only things and one of those is Heart Rate. I guess that might do something like time in different zones.

True, but how many people will gradually drift away, no longer uploading data?

Without the mass of ordinary riders, the benefits for those who do hang about (and Pay) become lessened.
Yes, it seems like they're walking a dangerous tighrope - the social side is a massive draw. There is plenty of free (better?) competition if you only want to analyse your own rides. (I imagine this is why facebook remained free, but with adverts. )We'll see ...

Jody

Stubborn git
Strava has provided nearly a decade of free entertainment so maybe I'll bung them some money at some point.

Honestly, I would have bunged them some money if there financial position was made clear.

One online blog sums it up in a sentence "They’re using the stick, instead of the carrot. "

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Edit. I'm pretty sure the RWGPS segments aren't a premium feature, but as I'm a paid RWGPS premium user I could be wrong.
Just had a look. No they are not a premium feature, but "private segments" - ones that only count for you - are premium.

Here's an example https://ridewithgps.com/segments/26112-layhams-road

There's no KoM fanfare or anything I don't think. And I don't think you can have custom leader boards for particular subsets of riders. (But maybe you can, who knows). But you can see just your own times by finding your entry and clicking "Show all efforts"

And a some of the top times are a bit weird. Not, I suspect, because people cheat but because people screw up their technology from time to time, and no one complains because KoM isn't a big deal. For example the fastest time up the above segment works out at 149 km/h!! If that's cheating it's remarkably unsubtle!

There are also waaaay fewer of them than Strava segments. I get the impression that no one much pays any attention to them.

johnnyb47

Guru
There seems to be even less features on it today. First the league table disappeared (which i can live with) but now the PB table has only the last few rides showing. The Garmins Connect app is of more use now than Strava. I've not explored the pay version yet, but if i was to subscribe how do you pay.. Is it a direct debit from your bank? It's very doubtful i will pay, as with the future finances looking uncertain with job losses every penny will count..

13 rider

Guru
Can see the difference today . The monthly mileage graph has gone from my feed and can't compare segments . Debating what to do . Always hard to have to pay for something that was free . Strava made the free bit too good but needed mass usage to build their data for heatmaps ,had it been subscription from the start I doubt it would have become the mass use tool it's has

johnnyb47

Guru
Blimey i never noticed the monthly bar graph has disappeared too. There isn't much left to see now

D

Deleted member 26715

The one that I don't like with all these US firms is their Free 30 days but only after you have given them your credit card details, I will never pay any of them, for my 30 day FREE trial it has to be exactly that FREE, you don't need anything from me to give me that

D

Deleted member 26715

The only thing I will miss is the route planning, but I'm not paying £50 a year for that.
That was one part I never used, but most of my rides are MTB & I found Strava useless for off-road riding.

How do you use Garmin Segments, I had a brief look last night & couldn't work it out.

Top Bottom