To those who use a helmet camera in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mine was the roundabout crash.
The driver got sent on an 'awareness course' as a result....

I did get a nice new bike and compensation from his insurance company.
CTC solicitors were very helpful.

Glad to hear it, Andy.

Did the driver get points?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I do hope they dont get all stroppy with accusing us of all RLJing and pavement riding etc.. if they do I'll go to offcom.:angry: Should be pretty obvious why people use cameras - just look on youtube ffs.

Unless we've suddenly relocated to France, expect a lot of hostile comment, if not in the piece itself, then in the commentary thereafter.

AndyB

Good to see CC mentioned on the Beeb. :becool: Good work by Admin and a few others to get us on there. :thumbsup:

Was yours the one in Datchet? I still struggle to use that junction. :angry:

That's the one.
I've been back a couple of times and can't help but take it very carefully.

It caught me out because he was slowing down as I entered, then he accelerated across the line thinking the roundabout was clear.
There was nowhere to go, I was in his sights and not able to get out of the way.

It is a nice shocking piece of footage though and seems to make people think.

AndyB

Glad to hear it, Andy.

Did the driver get points?

I think he took the 2 day retraining course instead of points/fine.

It was a nice old couple coming back from Sunday lunch who had just made a mistake.

I think he was more shocked than I was and also has to have that on his conscience.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Interesting that the red light jumping/pavement cycling accusation was omitted from the 1 o'clock news.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Oh FFS the comments are full of the usual bulls**t. Where do these people come from? Is there some kind of 'Anti-Cycling Spotlight' site that sends out alerts every time anything about cycling appears on a news site so it's members can stink up the comments?

Rather unfortunately the knuckle draggers are usually the most vocal. :rolleyes:

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Interesting that the red light jumping/pavement cycling accusation was omitted from the 1 o'clock news.

I'm glad that they did omit it from the lunchtime news.

Again this accusation comes up in another cycling v motorist discussion on breakfast news earlier in January. The motoring journalist Adam Rayner (who clearly hasn't been on a bike for a very long time) comes up with the excuse that there isn't any accountability for cyclists and chucks in that cyclists ride the wrong way up one-way streets and jump red lights. Zoe Williams (journalist and cyclist) nicely comes back that you would never have a conversation about motoring where it was obligatory to mention drunk driving and speeding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12149696

Hmm I was in London last Friday on Shoreditch highstreet when a pack of cyclists used the pedestrian crossing phase of a set of traffic lights to get through which was a tad disturbing given the numbers involved.
Check out some of the comments on the Guardian cycling blog for equally ignorant remarks from cyclists. Choice of transport doesn't dictate personality afterall.
Mind you I wonder how some of these folks would feel if their kids came home crying with a spot fine for cycling without a licence and road tax :rolleyes:
You may be able to get a camera for £15 but i wouldn't trust it to record for long enough and the comment about plugging in the hard drive seemed a bit optimistic.

Top Bottom