To those who use a helmet camera in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
I'm glad that they did omit it from the lunchtime news.

Again this accusation comes up in another cycling v motorist discussion on breakfast news earlier in January. The motoring journalist Adam Rayner (who clearly hasn't been on a bike for a very long time) comes up with the excuse that there isn't any accountability for cyclists and chucks in that cyclists ride the wrong way up one-way streets and jump red lights. Zoe Williams (journalist and cyclist) nicely comes back that you would never have a conversation about motoring where it was obligatory to mention drunk driving and speeding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12149696

My god, what a fat c*nt. joker!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My god, what a fat c*nt. joker!

Yes, he gives scoff law a completely new meaning, doesn't he?

Simon_m

Guru
litrally digested all those books lol. What was yapping about when he said "I've never once seen a cyclist obey the law, or give hand signals". (recounting from memory but it was something along those lines). Well if he paid more attention to the road instead of scoffing his face with Krispy Kreme's each morning for breakfast, he may spot them! :tongue:

Mad at urage

Oh FFS the comments are full of the usual bulls**t. Where do these people come from? Is there some kind of 'Anti-Cycling Spotlight' site that sends out alerts every time anything about cycling appears on a news site so it's members can stink up the comments?
Welcome to 'The Internet'. where freedom of expression allows Trolls to Troll.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Funny you should say that as since my accident I do most of my cycling in France although York is not in fact a bad place to be a cyclist.

Good to hear. Manchester is a mixed bag really, but mostly unpleasant. I find it hard to imagine French or Belgian cycle commuters feeling the need to record their commutes.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Oh my gosh - I have just watched the you tube upload!

The one where the cyclist went into the mondeo on the roundabout made me feel sick - that awful moment when you know you are going to impact and then the groan from the cyclist!

Did somebody say he was from here and if so is he okay?

Is the lorry one Magnatom? It looked like the lorry didn't even notice that he nearly ran him over!

I second the comment above about the £15 helmet camera - my hubby got me one a couple of years ago for my birthday - it was more exensive then but now the same one is £15 - the quality is very good but it only records for 30/40 mins - I don't use it as my commute is 40/50 minutes long and I just know it would run out of recording ability at the exact wrong moment!!!

Any recommendations for a cheapish one that records for a couple of hours at a time? (So I can get to work and back on one charge?)

Idiots on the tv as usual moaning on that he has never seen a cyclist signal properly etc - he's never been behind me then - or maybe he drives the cars that overtake me even when I am clearly signalling right WITH two arm bands on my right arm with 8 flashing red led lights on each band!!

Blimey! I leave the country and look what happens!:ohmy::smile:

Seriously though, I knew something was brewing in the BBC, but I didn't know it would make it to Breakfast, or when it would happen.

I'm actually in Boston at the moment. I'm supposed to be flying home today, but due to a snowstorm, I probably won't be leaving until Thursday. :sad:

I'm actually surprised that the videos made it to BBC breakfast (yes that is my tanker video) as they are quite shocking. I'd actually have preferred them to to not be shown at that time in the morning. Too many young kids watching....

Anyway, overall the piece was pretty good.

Simon_m

Guru
Blimey! I leave the country and look what happens!:ohmy::smile:

Seriously though, I knew something was brewing in the BBC, but I didn't know it would make it to Breakfast, or when it would happen.

I'm actually in Boston at the moment. I'm supposed to be flying home today, but due to a snowstorm, I probably won't be leaving until Thursday. :sad:

I'm actually surprised that the videos made it to BBC breakfast (yes that is my tanker video) as they are quite shocking. I'd actually have preferred them to to not be shown at that time in the morning. Too many young kids watching....

Anyway, overall the piece was pretty good.

in your video though, i seem to remember an update that the police did sweet FA over it?

When cycling gets into the mainstream media for the right reasons it has to be good and I hope this kind of reporting isn't just a "one off". I guess my worry now is that the Clarkson mob and motoring journalists will now use their considerable firepower to highlight stupid cyclists, RLJers and the like and produce a piece for tv that shows most of us to be idiots. So while I applaud what I have just seen, get ready for the response, I hope I am wrong.

Quick update. Despite being in Boston I've had 5 Live contact me. They want me on the show tonight (Tony Livesey show).

There will probably be a motoring journalist on as well. So I can imagine the rhetoric etc. However, I will do my best to do us proud! I will do my best to not be drawn into petty squabbles about RLJing etc!

Quick update. Despite being in Boston I've had 5 Live contact me. They want me on the show tonight (Tony Livesey show).

There will probably be a motoring journalist on as well. So I can imagine the rhetoric etc. However, I will do my best to do us proud! I will do my best to not be drawn into petty squabbles about RLJing etc!

Is it live ? what time is going to be on?

Jezston

Über Member

Quick! We need to come up with something quick and snappy for magnatom to say that will instantly dismiss the whole road tax/rlj/pavement/insurance/license etc bollocks that usually comes up from these oiks!

Simon_m

Guru
hmmm all car drivers are w8nkers? lol. hmmm every car driver i've seen breaks the law, doesnt signal and goes through red lights? :tongue:

Top Bottom