Train ticket splitting: why is it sometimes so effective?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm travelling Stockport to Banbury this week. The single ticket I wanted was about £60. I thought that a bit steep so I went to this website

http://splitticketing.co.uk/

And I got the same journey for £28

Of course I have the faff of 4 separate tickets but I'll live with that for the saving. I presumed the big saving is because I'm leaving Stockport at peak time and thus a single ticket is a peak time ticket. So maybe the splitting works on the basis that it gives me some short initial journey at peak rates, then a series of off-peak tickets thereafter?

But that seems not to be the case. I've got an Advance ticket Stockport-Stoke. Anytime tickets Stoke-Stafford and Stafford-Wolverhampton and then finally an Advance ticket Wolverhampton-Banbury

Sadly no splitting savings for the London-Stockport return

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
UK rail ticket policy makes no sense whatsoever!

I found a journey the other day where it was cheaper to catch a train from A to B and then switch to a train from B to C than to cycle to B and just catch the B to C train! :wacko:

I often split tickets on a train journey into / out of London. It's 20 quid cheaper to get a return from Southampton to Woking, and a return from Woking to London Waterloo, than it is to get a return from Southampton to London Waterloo. I just have to remember to only get on the trains that stop at Woking.

Bodhbh

Guru
With split tickets, if you miss a connection due to one of the trains being late you can't use the remaining tickets on the later trains? Also you won't be able to get full re-embursement?

subaqua

What’s the point
With split tickets, if you miss a connection due to one of the trains being late you can't use the remaining tickets on the later trains? Also you won't be able to get full re-embursement?
only if they are advance tickets. and thats dependent on the commercial guard you get.

anytime are just that - anytime. strangely you can book an anytime in advance , it costs a bit more than an advance for a specific train. its what we do in work.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

That's the beauty. There is no connection. It's exactly the same train. Getting a ticket from A to E (travelling through B,C and D) cost £60, getting tickets A-B, B-C,C-D and D-E cost me £28. Whenever a ticket inspection takes place, I show them the relevant ticket for the bit of the journey I'm on

The only slight inconvenience is I couldn't organise seat reservations myself so I've got 3 different reservations for different bits of the journey but they're all in the same carriage so no biggy

Like has been said, as long as the train actually calls in at the station at which you split the ticket, you don't have to get off the train. You may have some explaining to do, if the train didn't stop at the split station however.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Like has been said, as long as the train actually calls in at the station at which you split the ticket, you don't have to get off the train. You may have some explaining to do, if the train didn't stop at the split station however.

Just tell them you did that thing where you drop off a bridge, run along the roof of the train and swing down through a conveniently open window / door / locomotive cab / tender / etc.; or if you're getting off, tell them you've trained your horse bike to run alongside the train at eaxctly the right speed

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
It's cheaper to go from Derby to Birmingham, then Birmingham to London, than to go from Derby direct to London. Takes a bit longer, though. Fecking insane.

Top Bottom