Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
You can walk the old railway from Bingham to get that square too.
Walk !!

wajc

Veteran
No shame in walking - it's a sign of your dedication to the game ^_^.

I managed to get a square today that I had been putting off for a while until the ground was a bit drier as it involved a couple of km of track (easily rideable as dry despite the recent storms that have been about) and then about 400m on a footpath through a field. Unfortunately when I got there the field was rather more overgrown than I had expected and I ended up pushing the bike through grass above knee height. Heading back I spotted that there were some tracks where a vehicle/tractor had flattened the grass and was able to ride over these and thankfully get out the field a different way.

upload_2018-6-3_22-5-7.png

Max square still 33x33, max cluster 1569.

Venod

Eh up
Managed to bag 5 today to make my square up to 20 x 20 and 726 cluster, just one rough track to get one of them the other four were all dead ends that I wouldn't have gone down without this square ticking off, a long way off @wajc total but its getting me to some unridden places.

wajc

Veteran
Not quite such a productive ride for myself as for some today - 117km ridden and only 13 new squares but most importantly including one that I had been putting off for some time.

The best routes into it are marked in blue (but not good routes), the orange ones went through farmyards with inhabited farmhouses. None of the routes had any public right of way.
The route I chose was the shortest one in to the square from the North with plan B the one from the east - although the eastern route would add about 7km. There would also be a total of 3km of farm track to get to and from the square with a gate stopping vehicular access at the start.

upload_2018-6-10_21-22-16.png

Plan A though, involved a dead end road with a private railway crossing. Then 200m to get in to the square on a track. On the south side of the railway was a house and some buildings which I'd found out were a Kennels and Cattery so likely a lot of dogs going mad alerting people to my presence - stealth mode may well be compromised. I'd also read on a Geocache website that someone had moved one of their hidden geocaches from near the railway crossing as people who had been looking for it had been met with hostility from someone from the house. Strava heatmap showed no traces of anyone haven been down the lane either.

Heading south from the B1205, before I got to the crossing I noticed that there were several home made signs placed on the verges saying 'Private Road No Parking' and 'No parking for Network Rail and contractors' an indication maybe that someone from the house had already had run ins with people.

Got over the crossing easily - the gates didn't even have catches just pushed them open and there were rubber strips to soften the noise of the gates closing - things were looking better.

Couldn't see anyone about so I set off towards the house, still saw no one so shot past and made my way along the overgrown track for about 150m and claimed the square!

Turned round and headed back only to see that there was now a bloke watching me intently from the garden wall. Oh well the joy of this game is that he can tell me to F**K OFF all he likes cause I'm not coming back anyway :laugh:

As I got level with him I shouted a cheery 'Hello' as if was the most normal thing for me to be doing cycling past his house, not a word said in return - he's probably still wondering why the hell any cyclist would be taking the route I did.

I must admit there was a sense of relief once I'd got back over the crossing again and in the end it turned out to be non eventful.

Apologies to those who were hoping for a different ending !

Max square now 37 x 37 !

steverob

Guru
Added 25 new squares on my 70 mile Saturday ride and I make it that I'm just one ride away from increasing the 20x20 I've been stuck on since September last year, to a 23x23! And only another two rides after that should get me to 25x25, if I can work out a suitable route that doesn't involve me mixing with dual-carriageway traffic on the A6.

I actually could have bagged another 5 squares, but it was a bit that was down as an "optional detour" on my route and having just gone up two surprisingly steep hills that I'd somehow overlooked on my ride profile, my legs were starting to struggle, so I thought it best to leave them for later (still had 27 miles to go at that point). No worries though - I've added these to one of my routes for another day, as they weren't exactly difficult squares to cross off, just a tad out of the way.

Ivo

Today I managed to ride the tiles to the south of the Awacs base. Luckily there's a dirttrack nearly directly hugging the outside perimeter of the base so I tlooks like one more ride and I have these tiles covered.

Top Bottom