Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
How annoying, despite careful planning I managed to miss a square this morning, so now up to 20x20. Looks like another lumpy ride into the Surrey Hills again.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just checked the leaderboard: :becool:

upload_2018-7-8_16-31-23.png

PapaZita

Guru
I had a very pleasant 65 mile ride in the sunshine this weekend, using my CX bike to explore a few bridleways in the north-east Chilterns between Luton and Hitchin. Something like 35 new tiles, and max square up to 21x21. I even managed an accidental KOM, then found myself at a dead-end and ended up climbing through a hedge to get back to the main road. Clearly most people know that you can't get through, but of the five people who didn't, I'm the least slow. ^_^

steverob

Guru
Still got a little way to go before I can say I've completed Buckinghamshire, but I'm making good progress. The central stretch of the county is completed barring four or five awkward tiles, leaving me with just the chunks up around Olney to the north of Milton Keynes, a small area around Brackley out to the northwest, and the major areas around Marlow, Gerrards Cross and Slough to the south, which will take some time (and probably a lot of climbing!).

Bucks.jpg

Note that this map is of the historical county of Bucks - the current county officially now does not include Milton Keynes borough and the towns/villages to its north, so I've put a yellow line on the map to show where this border would be. I can always do these tiles last and then say that I've completed current Bucks and then go out and do the historical version later.

And if you have noticed, yes there are two tiles missing near the centre of the map to the east of Aylesbury - there's a small bit of Hertfordshire that juts in at that point, and while most of the tiles around that area are shared between both counties (meaning that they are included on the map), there are two tiles that are purely Herts, so I have removed them in order to be accurate!

Alan O

Über Member
I've just subscribed to Veloviewer, and my initial stats are pretty unimpressive. Due to my location and there being a river in the way, my max square is a paltry 6x6. Max cluster is 85 squares, with a total of 405 squares. I tend to ride the same routes repeatedly, so there are lots of gaps in the map, many of which can be filled in easily. Oh dear... I have a new obsession!

Ooh, and I've just spotted one untouched square in the city that would add 14 to my max cluster!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
I've just subscribed to Veloviewer, and my initial stats are pretty unimpressive. Due to my location and there being a river in the way, my max square is a paltry 6x6. Max cluster is 85 squares, with a total of 405 squares. I tend to ride the same routes repeatedly, so there are lots of gaps in the map, many of which can be filled in easily. Oh dear... I have a new obsession!

Ooh, and I've just spotted one untouched square in the city that would add 14 to my max cluster!
Hope you now what you've let yourself in for :okay:

bruce1530

Guru
Picked up an awkward tile today, taking my square to 14x14, max cluster to 400, with 765 tiles.

Sometimes I wonder if I’m obsessive, or just daft:

IMG_2789.JPG

The edge of my missing square was about half way between that little bridge (which in itself was across a field from the nearest road) and the tree line.

steverob

Guru
Finally made it to 23x23!

Two tiles required me to go off-road, but they weren't that bad in the scheme of things. One was about a 200 yard detour into a wheat field, but I was able to walk my bike along the tracks left by a tractor, while for the other one I needed to walk just 100 yards down a bridleway that continued at the end of a dead-end road, although it did mean getting my bike over a set of stiles (yes, I know I could have left the bike at the gate and just walked with my GPS device, but where's the challenge in that?)

Getting to 24x24 will be quite easy, probably can do that in just one ride, but 25x25 is going to be a challenge - I'm currently hemmed in on both the east and west sides by "ungettable" tiles (already at 27 north/south), so will have to work out how best to tackle this.

Alan O

Über Member

Ride on Saturday took my max square to 7x7, max cluster to 91, and total tiles to 424 - with only one deliberate side-trip to edge into another tile. I was going out again today and would have covered more new ground, but feeling icky and have to stay home.

A bit of closer examination shows my biggest possible square based from my home is limited to 8x8. The sea/river to the West is one limit, and I've realized that two tiles to the East lie entirely within the private Knowsley estate and are inaccessible (and I doubt they'd let me cycle round the Knowsley Safari Park!) Oh well, I'll stick to pursuing my max cluster for now, and perhaps think about a bigger max square further North.

Finally made it to 23x23!

Two tiles required me to go off-road, but they weren't that bad in the scheme of things. One was about a 200 yard detour into a wheat field, but I was able to walk my bike along the tracks left by a tractor, while for the other one I needed to walk just 100 yards down a bridleway that continued at the end of a dead-end road, although it did mean getting my bike over a set of stiles (yes, I know I could have left the bike at the gate and just walked with my GPS device, but where's the challenge in that?)

Getting to 24x24 will be quite easy, probably can do that in just one ride, but 25x25 is going to be a challenge - I'm currently hemmed in on both the east and west sides by "ungettable" tiles (already at 27 north/south), so will have to work out how best to tackle this.
Does this mean that you finally got *that* problem square Steve? If so you must tell me how.

Top Bottom