Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Max square is 32x32 but I focus on the max cluster as I'm hemmed in by needing to get through cities in all directions. 2,733 for the cluster.

wajc

Veteran
My rides over winter have included tiles that have contributed to my max cluster but not specifically to increasing my max square. This is because I have quite a few tiles bordering my max square which require some 'off roading' which I've left until ground conditions are dry.

So today I grabbed 4 tiles on the southern edge of my max square which involved a bridleway, a field edge and farm track that I've needed to do for some time, and will be of interest to @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman

2020-05-07 (2).png

Still no increase in my max square but now I have 48 (N-S) and 43 (E-W). I now need to head NW for more off road squares.

I've also recently discovered that although the rideeverytile site is being updated

https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/

it has an interesting feature where you can see how many people have bagged a particular tile - although I have noticed some tiles that are not correctly calculated but I believe it's 'work in progress'. Also not 'live' as such but currently based on data prior to 10th March

https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/heatmap/8168x5342

You can also see links to riders Strava activity to see how they have approached awkward squares which is useful.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My rides over winter have included tiles that have contributed to my max cluster but not specifically to increasing my max square. This is because I have quite a few tiles bordering my max square which require some 'off roading' which I've left until ground conditions are dry.

So today I grabbed 4 tiles on the southern edge of my max square which involved a bridleway, a field edge and farm track that I've needed to do for some time, and will be of interest to @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman

View attachment 520631

Still no increase in my max square but now I have 48 (N-S) and 43 (E-W). I now need to head NW for more off road squares.

I've also recently discovered that although the rideeverytile site is being updated

https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/

it has an interesting feature where you can see how many people have bagged a particular tile - although I have noticed some tiles that are not correctly calculated but I believe it's 'work in progress'. Also not 'live' as such but currently based on data prior to 10th March

https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/heatmap/8168x5342

You can also see links to riders Strava activity to see how they have approached awkward squares which is useful.

What did you use on the square on the left of Oasby? I've got a route planned coming in from the west, I can't see anything on your route?

wajc

Veteran
I used this field entrance here - it's about 200m to get to the square.

Field entrance

When I got there today it looked rather different. It looked like the grass track at the edge of the field showing on the google image had been recently tilled. It was flat apart from tractor tyre imprints and very dry - just about rideable on 23mm tyres.

I'd also considered using the side of this field and walking alongside the hedge (about 80m) but it borders a farm garden and it looked like I needed to go beyond the hedge line where there was less cover from the farmhouse so gave it a miss.

Field edge

my other option was to follow the bridleway North out of Welby but that would have been about 1.5km there and back.

If you want to stay on roads there is the farm road off the B6403 but you'll need to get virtually to the farm garden about 600m and it's not easy to see if anyone is about.

Private road to farm

That certainly looks better than the boggy bridleway!! Not sure when next I'll get out that way.....im creating a max cluster 2020 from my local rides for now!

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't think I have even seen a slightly moist bridleway for over a month. The ones round Leicestershire are mostly baked rock hard.
LOL When I was out yesterday I was thinking that it's nice to be able to ride some of the tracks again due to them hardening up, but they are very rough where the tractors & horses have churned them up, that was until I decided to take a shortcut back home to get me off the main road, it was still very damp with large puddles right in the bottom of the tractor tracks which were so deep you could ride out of them once you were in.

I don't think I have even seen a slightly moist bridleway for over a month. The ones round Leicestershire are mostly baked rock hard.
I concur!

The one that I've declined to ride and @wajc found a way to get the squares without using is under trees and from what I was told by an equestrian, is boggy all year!

The tile boundaries in the top image look 'right'. The tile boundaries in the bottom image appear to have moved relative to the map. How did you manage to do that ?

On looking closer - the GPS tracks have also slipped relative to the map. A bit of lockdown-boredom-induced Strava stalking shows me that those two spikes that appear to come out of Burton on the Wolds actually came off Loughborough Road between Hoton and Cotes. Your highlighted square is also a pink one rather than the white one next door. Strange. I would try switching it off and on again ;)

I assume that your missing square is the one NE of Rempstone. VeloViewer 'made me' ride the lane past Hill Farm and Wolds Farm a while ago - and very nice it was too ^_^

On looking closer - the GPS tracks have also slipped relative to the map. A bit of lockdown-boredom-induced Strava stalking shows me that those two spikes that appear to come out of Burton on the Wolds actually came off Loughborough Road between Hoton and Cotes. Your highlighted square is also a pink one rather than the white one next door. Strange. I would try switching it off and on again ;)

I assume that your missing square is the one NE of Rempstone. VeloViewer 'made me' ride the lane past Hill Farm and Wolds Farm a while ago - and very nice it was too ^_^
The two “spikes” we’re indeed between Cotes and Hoton and were deliberately done to get a tile. I’d done this route purely from memorising the initial ”before” screenshot so I winged it. I only needed one of those “spikes” as such, but couldn’t remember which so I did them both just to make sure.
I remembered I needed to do the A60 between Rempstone and Costock to get that tile but forgot about the one just off to the right. Ah well, I have a load more to get in that area so can pick them up at a later stage once Veloviewer “makes” me go that way! :laugh:

Top Bottom