Wayne Rooney arrested on suspicion of drink driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Rooney was driving her home in her Beetle as she was drunk and unfit to drive. Oh the irony.

Hopefully he will do the right thing and plead guilty.
It doesn't really matter to him now he has been caught.

Big fine - who cares.
Having to hire a chauffeur - who cares.
Massive insurance premiums - who cares.

You cannot really punish him because the financial impact and inconvenience you or I would suffer doesn't exist. Worst he will get is a bit of joking in the dressing room and some hysterical press coverage.

To be honest he should have just offered plod a load of money and saved everyone a lot of time.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Agreed, but being charged isn't the same as being guilty.

But he was charged because he was over the limit... his lawyer might manage to secure a not-guilty result, but doesn't alter the 'alleged' fact that he was over the limit.

I can only admire your cheerful optimistic outlook.
I'd have thought the first line of the 2nd para would also be worthy of bold highlight followed with a fittingly witty gif, such as this:

tenor.gif

TVC

It doesn't really matter to him now he has been caught.

Big fine - who cares.
Having to hire a chauffeur - who cares.
Massive insurance premiums - who cares.

You cannot really punish him because the financial impact and inconvenience you or I would suffer doesn't exist. Worst he will get is a bit of joking in the dressing room and some hysterical press coverage.

To be honest he should have just offered plod a load of money and saved everyone a lot of time.
So you have no trouble with the rich buying themselves out of trouble, and with Police corruption?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
So you have no trouble with the rich buying themselves out of trouble, and with Police corruption?
Literally it makes no difference unless they will be jailed.

The maximum fine for drink driving is £2,500. It will be costing loads more than that for the press officers now and police at court.

He won't turn up. He won't care about the punishment. I have no problem with there being an effective "fixed penalty" for any summary offences just like you get for speeding. But then I'm not a fan of spending lots to achieve nothing.

TVC

Literally it makes no difference unless they will be jailed.

The maximum fine for drink driving is £2,500. It will be costing loads more than that for the press officers now and police at court.

He won't turn up. He won't care about the punishment. I have no problem with there being an effective "fixed penalty" for any summary offences just like you get for speeding. But then I'm not a fan of spending lots to achieve nothing.
So you repeat that if people have enough money they should be able to buy themselves out of the due process that the rest of us go through.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Rooney would be very badly advised not to turn up.

All that would happen is he would get arrested, spend a night/few hours in the cells, then receive the same punishment for the driving offence.

Strictly, the fine is unlimited, but magistrates use bands based on income.

Rooney will fall into the highest band, but what that means is he will receive the same financial penalty as what most people would regard as someone in a well-paid job.

Thus a defendant on £50k a year will get the same fine as a multi-millionaire, but it will be more than someone on benefits or on the minimum wage.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Rooney was driving her home in her Beetle as she was drunk and unfit to drive. Oh the irony.

Hopefully he will do the right thing and plead guilty.

She was drunk, Rooney was drunk. She lived in Salford which is a fair trek from Alderley Edge. Rooney lives just a few miles away.

You don't really think he was going to drive her all the way to Salford and then get a taxi home do you?

midlife

Guru
She was drunk, Rooney was drunk. She lived in Salford which is a fair trek from Alderley Edge. Rooney lives just a few miles away.

You don't really think he was going to drive her all the way to Salford and then get a taxi home do you?

Surely you are not suggesting Rooney was taking her home to play "hide the sausage" :smile:

JoshM

It makes a huge difference having corrupt police.

I get what @KnackeredBike is trying to say - that being caught will have literally no consequence to Rooney. His earning potential, his material existence etc will remain entirely unaffected. If there are no consequences then it can feel like there's little point.

That said, you're right. The police should be as close to uncorruptable as possible. Otherwise why should any of us respect or trust the police?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I get what @KnackeredBike is trying to say - that being caught will have literally no consequence to Rooney. His earning potential, his material existence etc will remain entirely unaffected. If there are no consequences then it can feel like there's little point.

That said, you're right. The police should be as close to uncorruptable as possible. Otherwise why should any of us respect or trust the police?

Rooney's earning potential is the one thing that could be effected.

Were you about to sign a six-figure endorsement contract with his management, you might at least delay doing so until you see what - if any - skeletal shaped objects fall out the cupboard in the court case.

I agree that would only amount to more icing on what is already a thickly iced cake, but for Rooney his image and the rights to it are big licks.

JoshM

Rooney's earning potential is the one thing that could be effected.

Were you about to sign a six-figure endorsement contract with his management, you might at least delay doing so until you see what - if any - skeletal shaped objects fall out the cupboard in the court case.

I agree that would only amount to more icing on what is already a thickly iced cake, but for Rooney his image and the rights to it are big licks.

Surely he's survived public perception 'issues' just as problematic to his image as this before? Though I accept that as his playing career winds down, his image becomes more important. Especially if he wants pundit work

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Surely he's survived public perception 'issues' just as problematic to his image as this before? Though I accept that as his playing career winds down, his image becomes more important. Especially if he wants pundit work

He has, but I'm not aware of him being involved in any court scrapes, although he may have been.

Being over the side/using a prostitute may be regarded by many as acceptable laddish behaviour.

Drink driving has fewer apologists, and as we see on here, never more so than when the offender is wealthy.

Rightly or wrongly, a lot in terms of public reaction may depend on the breath reading.

A little bit over the limit would get a less critical response than if he was two or three times over.

JoshM

He has, but I'm not aware of him being involved in any court scrapes, although he may have been.

Being over the side/using a prostitute may be regarded by many as acceptable laddish behaviour.

Drink driving has fewer apologists, and as we see on here, never more so than when the offender is wealthy.

Rightly or wrongly, a lot in terms of public reaction may depend on the breath reading.

A little bit over the limit would get a less critical response than if he was two or three times over.

Very true.

Top Bottom