What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thoughts?

I liked Angels & Demons from the book of the same name by Dan Brown. Ewan McGregor was brilliant in it. Paul Bettany played a great character in Da Vinci Code.

Inferno... I can’t remember much about it. I’ll have to give it another go along with The Da Vinci Code.

Thoughts .. very good and didn't feel like we had been watching for over 2 hours so yes very good .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just watched "inside out " thought it was quite unusual but good

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'll admit we were at a loss for something to do yesterday evening so watched the film Apostasy. It's a film about Jehovah's Witnesses in Manchester based on the life the director had lived through when he was in this nasty organisation. Two of the main protagonists were young ladies learning Urdu so they could converse with the Muslims whose doors they were knocking on to pick up converts in those areas. The mother cared more for her brainwashed version of the bible she'd been ordered to follow than the lives of her own daughters. (Spoiler alert!!!!) She insists one of them allows herself to die rather than receive a life-saving blood transfusion while her other daughter is desperate for her mother's help but is booted out of the family home for being pregnant and unmarried. We were yelling at the screen for the mother to bloody do something.

It's tough going but is a particularly telling insight into the inner workings of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Did I tell you I'm in the Jehovah's Witness Protection Programme? Old joke, I know!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Pulp Fiction. What a movie! Never lets up from start to finish, and must have the best soundtrack of any movie, ever. The OD scenes are absolutely brilliant - a masterly tightrope walk over horror & black comedy. You can certainly see why it's so revered by movie nuts.

AndyRM

XOXO
Lords of Chaos - 3/10

The story, in a way, of Mayhem, one of my favourite bands and pioneers of the black metal sound.

I admit that I was expecting to be disappointed by this, and I was. But I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised given the book used as kind of source material. What frustrates me most is that it was directed by someone involved and influential in the scene, who really should have known better.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Just back from the pictures seeing The Keeper, a biopic of the German POW Bert Trautmann who earned eternal fame by staying on in England and fighting back against prejudice and hatred and winning the people over with his ability. Of course, his main claim to fame was playing on in an FA Cup Final with a broken neck which could have killed him. A young couple in front of us were totally bemused why he wasn't subbed! I had to explain in the foyer outside.

Couple of minor gripes; the hills around St. Helens, the first amateur team to play Trautmann while he was still in the POW camp in 1945, have either all worn away to nothing or - imagine this - it wasn't filmed anywhere near St. Helens! And neither Bert nor his wife aged a day between 1945 and 1954, which is quite amazing! Other than that, it was a truly magnificent film.

I'd like to give it the best 6/10 I've given any film this year so far.

AndyRM

XOXO
Cinema last night on a date with the boy to see The Room - 10/10

As a film, this is a total disaster, but as a shared experience in a cinema hurling plastic spoons at the screen, American footballs to other folks, and yelling out nonsense, banter and insults it cannot be beaten.

I'd forgotten just how many things there are wrong with it. Plot lines are introduced then completely forgotten about, there are so many out of focus shots, the score is bizarre, the sex scenes laughable, a good 15 minutes of random establishing shots in case you'd forgotten it was in San Francisco.

Watch it with friends, and have an absolute riot.

This scene sums it up pretty much perfectly:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Stan & Ollie - the best film I've seen this year. Coogan and Reilly are both superbly cast and totally convincing in their roles. A gentle, moving film that looks at the end of their career without being maudlin.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I watched Dumbo with my son.

He enjoyed it, but hasnt seen the cartoon version.

I didnt like it much. Not one of Tim Burtons finest.

Proto

Legendary Member
Beautiful Creatures. Stellar cast - Jeremy Irons, Emma Thompson, Viola Davis amongst others - what could possibly go wrong? Well, it turns out, just about everything. Slow, ponderous, ridiculous storyline, and even the acting far from engaging (some very dodgy accents!)
I really tried to like it, gave it my best shot, but I lasted about 45 minutes, then turned it off. Avoid, it’s terrible. 2/10

Last edited:
Premium Rush. Saw it advertised in the Sunday papers, thought we'd give it a go. Enjoyed it, 7/10.
We only watch popcorn and kid's movies, really, never horror. Sci-fi and action too, if not gory. So we're a bit weedy as film watchers!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Black '47 (Netflix)

Revenge thriller set during the Great Hunger. A Connaught Ranger returns home to find Ireland in the grip of famine, and his family the victims of callous landlords and their agents.

What follows is a very western-esque tale of a man pushed beyond his limits taking revenge on those who have wronged him, pursued by Hugo Weaving's weary detective, a pompous, rigid, but well meaning Army captain and the idealistic private who serves as his orderly. Set against a bleakly beautiful (and wonderfully photographed) countryside, it has great performances, especially from the impassive James Frecheville as the wronged soldier, and Stephen Rea, who joins the hunters as a translator.

AndyRM

XOXO
Black '47 (Netflix)

Revenge thriller set during the Great Hunger. A Connaught Ranger returns home to find Ireland in the grip of famine, and his family the victims of callous landlords and their agents.

What follows is a very western-esque tale of a man pushed beyond his limits taking revenge on those who have wronged him, pursued by Hugo Weaving's weary detective, a pompous, rigid, but well meaning Army captain and the idealistic private who serves as his orderly. Set against a bleakly beautiful (and wonderfully photographed) countryside, it has great performances, especially from the impassive James Frecheville as the wronged soldier, and Stephen Rea, who joins the hunters as a translator.

Glad to see you back on the film thread!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hidden Figures - a film based on true events about a small group of brilliant black women mathematicians who played a crucial role in the early days of the American space programme, while being required to use 'Colored washrooms' at NASA, and have colleagues (when their indispensability made their presence among white male colleagues unavoidable) bring in special coffee jugs for their use with 'Colored' stickers on. Tremendously well done, very moving, and a reminder of how even while we go to hell in a handcart, by some measures at least we have moved on quite a bit. Highly recommended: 8/10.

Top Bottom