What good is Alexa.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
On a less intimate tangent, around 6 weeks ago we had a new boiler fitted and (without being asked) the plumber fitted a Hive as part of the installation. A few days before Christmas, the wall control/thermostat unit wouldn't connect to the unit which switches the boiler off and on, so we had no heating or hot water. Efforts to connect them using the online instructions failed so I contacted the Hive call centre.
After some 10 minutes or so of further guidance the units still would not connect. I was told, "I'll put you on hold for a couple of minutes while I try something at this end." About a minute later the lights on both units showed they had connected. The chap at the other end of the line then returns asking if it was now showing as connected.
Perhaps it is just me, but I found it quite disturbing that whilst I could control my home heating from my 'phone, I did not expect others to have that capacity.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I reckon these Alexas will eventually start killing their owners like they do in the films. You'll get in the shower and it will be set to 95°C. Or she might give you some misinformation like rubbing deadly nightshade into your scalp is good for hair loss. Or she might play the OK Computer album on loop until you decide to end it all.

screenman

Legendary Member
I find the idea of having a listening device in my house rather disturbing to be honest but then I am not obsessive about gadgets and the 'latest thing'. To me it is a very expensive toy that will soon loose it's appeal along with all the other fads.

If that is your thing go for it :okay:

Expensive £25 for a decent radio that has many other uses?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
On a less intimate tangent, around 6 weeks ago we had a new boiler fitted and (without being asked) the plumber fitted a Hive as part of the installation. A few days before Christmas, the wall control/thermostat unit wouldn't connect to the unit which switches the boiler off and on, so we had no heating or hot water. Efforts to connect them using the online instructions failed so I contacted the Hive call centre.
After some 10 minutes or so of further guidance the units still would not connect. I was told, "I'll put you on hold for a couple of minutes while I try something at this end." About a minute later the lights on both units showed they had connected. The chap at the other end of the line then returns asking if it was now showing as connected.
Perhaps it is just me, but I found it quite disturbing that whilst I could control my home heating from my 'phone, I did not expect others to have that capacity.

Worth clarifying exactly what data Hive (the company) collects from the device in your house. I presume you have not given explicit consent to any data collection.

Are you two the only ones who open your fridge door? Ah, so sad to be all alone in the world!

It's true purpose is to spy on your loved ones. Now you don't have to nod sympathetically when your spouse bemoans they can't lose weight, you can get the phone and show the series of images of the left over cake getting smaller and smaller.

Edit: Ugh. That's a TMN to Blue Hills.
several issues with this post, slightest TMN.
?

Brads

Ok I haven't read the whole thread, but why would anyone let google listen, record, and sell everything they said in the privacy of their own home.?

:smile:

Quite. Agree 100 per cent. The simple "stupid" questions are often the best.

And a thought.

Alexa is an existing human name isn't it?

What do you do if you live with an Alexa?

Get the unfortunate soul to change their name?

At the very least during sex?

Last edited:
As if anyone who owns an Amazon Echo ever has sex
:cuppa:
I own one and I’m having sex right now.

D

Deleted member 26715

I can assure you you are not

Top Bottom