What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WelshJon

A set of Conti 4 seasons to replace my heavily worn and (dangerously worn rear) gp4000s II.
Actually found the gp4000s have lasted me 2 winters and 2 summers, and for a 'light weight , summer tyre' they've been excellent and relatively puncture proof.

I just fancied a change.

TigerT

Veteran
New inner tubes for all of my bikes after using my last one at the weekend which was very luckily the correct size for the bike I wanted to use!

Also 2 sets of SPD-SL cleats (blue and red). I’m just learning to ride with these instead of SPD’s. But due to mobility issues in my right ankle I’m finding it hard to twist out. Hopefully the cleats with less or no float will be better.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
New disk brake pads for the front brake on my CAADX. I found them HERE on eBay for £2.99 incl. p&p. If they are any good then next time I will buy 4 pairs for £10.40.

Brake pads for TRP-HYRD front view.jpg

Brake pads for TRP-HYRD top view.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Actually ... I have just been looking at some of the prices for pads direct from China. They are so low that I think I will just take a punt on some of them and stock up before I need them!
It's obviously your choice, but is a safety critical item one where you want to take the chance that they aren't fakes made of cheese?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It's obviously your choice, but is a safety critical item one where you want to take the chance that they aren't fakes made of cheese?

As I understand it there's not much over 20% where @ColinJ is.

In all seriousness this would be my concern too.

ColinJ

Good point, well made!

Of course, I don't really know where my slightly more expensive eBay pads came from either ... They do look well made. It could be a moot point though if I can't get the wheel back in anyway - ha ha!

As I understand it there's not much over 20% where @ColinJ is.

In all seriousness this would be my concern too.
The reason I put the TRP HY/RD front brake on my CX bike is that with the old Promax brake on the bike I was flying down a 25% descent with the front lever pulled to the bar tape and I still wasn't slowing down enough! :eek:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Good point, well made!

Of course, I don't really know where my slightly more expensive eBay pads came from either ... They do look well made. It could be a moot point though if I can't get the wheel back in anyway - ha ha!

The reason I put the TRP HY/RD front brake on my CX bike is that with the old Promax brake on the bike I was flying down a 25% descent with the front lever pulled to the bar tape and I still wasn't slowing down enough! :eek:

Some good pad choices here:

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/484/TRP-Disc-Brake-Pads

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Picked up a couple of bits ordered for click n collect in the Halfords 30% off promotion last week - a Ridge thermal l/s cycling jersey (was £15, reduced to £10.50, then another 10% BC discount) and a set of Shimano SPD-SL cleats (were "£22", 'online price' £10.99, then reduced to £7.69, then another 10% BC discount off that).

The Ridge top is spot on for under a tenner and was far too warm even just trying it on today- it should be great for layering this winter.
The cleats situation is ridiculous though - they're on the shelf in store at £22 (would anyone actually pay that much for a pair?) today, but the ones I've got were couriered to the store (they were still in the jiffy bag) and sold to me for under seven quid. How does that work..? Wish I'd ordered a couple of pairs now.

As usual, no problem getting the BC discount either, they didn't even ask to see my membership card.

Not strictly for the bike but used to work on it: a pair of Knipex mini Pliers Wrench, the 125mm ones. Had the 180mm size for a while and possibly the most versatile tool I own. The mini one came in super handy for tightening some brake hoses.

ColinJ

Of course, it does help to retract BOTH pistons before trying to replace the pads ... :whistle:

PS And it is a good idea not to let the old ones get THIS worn before replacing them ...

Worn disk brake pads.jpg

:laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom