What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I had to pop in to SJS to give them my oldest, and as of a week ago, non-working, SON hub*. So I picked up the spokes I needed to build a wheel with the newest one.

*Bought new in 2001, as I recall.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not bought today, but my most recent purchases have been two rolls of retro-reflective self-adhesive tape off eBay for my Hack MTB and Pioneer pub bikes (as they get ridden in the dark more than in daylight), and a B'Twin pump from Decathlon, which actually has a proper flexible hose connector and not a valve-bending rigid head like most modern bike pumps

JhnBssll

Veteran
I bought an SP 3W Dynamo hub today, 24h to be built into the Mavic Aksium Disc wheel of my commuter bike :okay: I also bought a Busch + Muller IQ-X headlight and rear light as well as a length of cable to wire it all up. Total spend £203 after hunting around a bit; I could've paid less but didn't recognise the shops so played it safe :laugh: I'll have to buy new spokes on top of that so I suspect it'll be in the region of £225 all in for year round visibility and no danger of forgetting to charge my lights :laugh: And of course the fun of fitting it all :tongue:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I'd be interested to hear what you think of the GP5000's, specifically whether they resist cutting up any better than the 4000's :okay:
I found this review which is quite comprehensive.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-5000-tl-2018

Sixmile

Veteran
Salsa Cage and Dry Bag has arrived!

IMG_20190112_141623.jpg IMG_20190112_141633.jpg

I bought a 9L seatpost bag and a 6L handlebar bag from Polaris to complete my new bikepacking set up.

J_H1026

A replacement Di2 cable after my impatience to get back on the road saw me trash one. Didn't need that £15 anyway.....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
IMG_20190116_140040.jpg
IMG_20190116_155802.jpg
I went and had a seat fitting and it turned out to be 143cm, which all my seats are

I bought a short nose saddle with a centre cut out. I paid a tenner extra insurance. This allows me to test the seat for 3 months. I can take it back anytime in the 3 months and exchange it for a different saddle of the same value or anything in the shop of the same value.

As I have been off the bike all week with a hacking cough. I thought I would treat myself to a 500 piece jigsaw. It does involve a bike though.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I have bought a new (to me) bike this morning: 2017 Fuji Tread 1.5 Adventure Bike.

tread-15-main-photo-lowres.jpg

I saw it for sale last week when I took my cheap (and cheerful) road bike into the LBS for the bottom bracket to be fettled (my tools didn't fit as it has an old style three-piece BB so I took it to a man who can).

I walked to the shop this morning so I was able to ride the Fuji home on a couple of quiet roads and over a bridleway. By the time, I got home I was even more pleased I'd bought it. The shifters took a little getting used to as they are original Shimano Claris STIs and I'm used to cheap (but easy to use) Chinese clones (which operate slightly differently). Before I cleaned the bike up this afternoon, the gear changes were so smooth I stopped twice as I wasn't sure the gear had changed! It is my lightest bike at 11.26kg and I can tell the difference. My road bike is 12.8kg and the MTB 14kg. The tyres are road tyres (700x32c) so I may be in the market for some knobblies in the future depending how I get on riding the local Trans Pennine Trail. There is clearance for up to 40 and the wheels will take down to 28. Looking closely at the bike, I'd say it has done between 250 and 350 miles maximum since new (and I'm leaning more towards 250 miles). The cassette looks new and there is no wear on the brake pads.

The Fuji is a multi-purpose work horse - CX, commuter, tourer and road; that should last me a long time. I am looking forward to having my first proper ride on it. I have added my M520 SPDs and cleaned the chain and jockey wheels until pristine (there's no wear on the jockey wheels either, they were still shiny under the light layer of grime).

I am a very happy chappy ^_^^_^^_^

Top Bottom