What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I must admit I didn't think of car spray. Do you mean Halford paint or direct from the car dealers?

The frame(s) are currently sitting in our in-house car workshop and will hopefully have their new lugs applied when I go over on Wednesday. The story is presented in excruciating detail here.

I've been messing around with motorcycles / cars for years. And have done a fair bit of home spraying on some parts where i couldn't get the exact colour required in anodising / powder-coating etc......

Prep: (Sanding filling, keying of material, sanding between coats, creating a dust free environment as far as possible to spray in) is king....and will ultimately show in the level of final finish you achieve.

There's some fantastic quality / hard-wearing / quick-drying paints out there. And buying decent stuff - with a really high quality lacquer to finish it all off with - will literally seal the deal !

GOOD LUCK :hello:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Like other I got a couple of the DHB helmets, not for me but one for the youngest as he is just getting to the limit on his current helmet.

I also got one for Mrs GDZ so she doesn't have to borrow one of mine.

I got some of the midweight windproof gloves too for £5 and then some spray degreaser to take me up to the £20 free delivery.

I've been messing around with motorcycles / cars for years. And have done a fair bit of home spraying on some parts where i couldn't get the exact colour required in anodising / powder-coating etc......

Prep: (Sanding filling, keying of material, sanding between coats, creating a dust free environment as far as possible to spray in) is king....and will ultimately show in the level of final finish you achieve.

There's some fantastic quality / hard-wearing / quick-drying paints out there. And buying decent stuff - with a really high quality lacquer to finish it all off with - will literally seal the deal !

GOOD LUCK :hello:

Hi, and thanks. I resprayed this bike a couple of years back and the finish came out okay, but it shows that it doesn't have a durability of powder coating. That time I used Montana sprays which are pretty good, but I thought a bike-specific brand may hold better.
I'm going for a gloss finish in the hope that is more durable than the matt I used before; (Also: Shiny bike bling...)

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Hi, and thanks. I resprayed this bike a couple of years back and the finish came out okay, but it shows that it doesn't have a durability of powder coating. That time I used Montana sprays which are pretty good, but I thought a bike-specific brand may hold better.
I'm going for a gloss finish in the hope that is more durable than the matt I used before; (Also: Shiny bike bling...)

Did you use Lacquer last time ?

Gloss Lacquer is what you need as your final coat then (Ie: Primer first, then colour [More than 1 coat] and then Clear Lacquer to finish).

THIS is what provides the protection. Not the paint itself as-such....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I must admit I didn't think of car spray. Do you mean Halford paint or direct from the car dealers?

The frame(s) are currently sitting in our in-house car workshop and will hopefully have their new lugs applied when I go over on Wednesday. The story is presented in excruciating detail here.

Halfords rattle cans. My Ribble was done in Nissan Pearlescent White - took about 6 cans though, so not cheap - 2 primer, 2 pearlescent and two lacquer

The Diamond Back is Ford Mercury Grey. Took 1 left over primer, 2 'colour' and one left over lacquer

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Bought something slightly odd; a single left shoe.

Why? Well I've got two pairs of exactly the same Specialized shoes for road riding and I put my left foot down when stopped. On an older pair I wore out the left quicker than the right as a result.

So ... I've got a new left spare.

No way. Thats awesome. And i thought i was 'bad'. You've topped me for anal-ness by far. Kudos :notworthy:

Alex321

Veteran
Bought something slightly odd; a single left shoe.

Why? Well I've got two pairs of exactly the same Specialized shoes for road riding and I put my left foot down when stopped. On an older pair I wore out the left quicker than the right as a result.

So ... I've got a new left spare.

I wish they sold single overshoes for exactly the same reason. My left one is almost worn out, while the right is sill going quite strong.

Top Bottom