What have you bought for the bike today ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Dark46, 29 May 2014.

1. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

I've just bougth a new (secondhand) 24" wheel bike for the kid. I say 'bought' - it was basically given away: I've been looking on eBay for something suitable for a while but nothing has come up nearby, so I asked at a local shop that sometimes has secondhand bikes outside, and he dragged a 24" out the back saying no-one wanted it because it has no suspension (the kid didn't want suspension anyway) so I could have it for a tenner. It looks hardly used, but has a few shed-scratches, but the kid is adamant that she likes it looking like that and doesn't want it painted - so we've been on eBay together and bought some bits to smarten it up. The mudguards came yesterday, the new cranks should come on Monday (it was ridiculously high geared for a kids bike - who puts a 48 on a kids bike?) and she doesn't like the thumbies so I picked up an as-new Revoshift twist grip thing from the local bike recycling place - her last bike had grip shift so she wanted that again. The tyres look a bit cracked so I'll pick up a new set on the way home today, and it's good to go.

2. kiwifruit

kiwifruit Well-Known Member

New 80mm stem for the Orbea, originally swap from 110mm to 90mm but still a bit overstretched so will try a 80mm.

Elysian_Roads likes this.
  3. mgs315

mgs315 Well-Known Member

Set of Shimano 501s. Grit and rubbish hasn’t been too kind to the rims and freehub of the crappy OEM wheels that came with the Triban so figured I’d do a wee upgrade for peanuts at the same time, especially as I’ve talked myself into not going n+1 for at least another year. Apparently they are a vast improvement over the stupidly heavy current rims so looking forward to Tuesday when they turn up.

It’s also a reward for me being able to make it up a local hill relatively comfortably whilst still on the 39t middle cog of the triple crank as opposed to almost dying on the 30t when I started riding the bike. (Second fastest time this year so far too yay).

EDIT: Update. Mmmmmmmmmm smoooth. Slightly wider rims make for slightly wider tyres even with the same 25cs so even smoother ride (plus better aero and faster acceleration). Even the freehub sounds nicer. Happy chappy here.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2018
  4. A Blackburn rack for the Facet Biotour 2000. This one is vintage, so old it's stamped Jim Blackburn. I also have wider bars, a downtube shifter set, and a few other bits and bobs.

raleighnut likes this.
  5. kiwifruit

kiwifruit Well-Known Member

A tube of loctite 248

6. Run of the mill stuff a new chain, cassette, chamois cream and teflon grease and hopefully a little bag of Haribo too :okay:

7. bikingdad90

bikingdad90 Formerly chris harte

A set of two rear guards. One to fit to the front with a bridge (and cut down) so I can have a long guard up front and the rear to fit as normal.

Just need to put my 32c gatorskins back on to replace the 25c BTwins which I found too narrow but worked with previous guards.

HLaB likes this.
  8. jowwy

jowwy The bearded Powerhouse

32t front chainring - hopefully the last piece of the jigsaw

9. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

I hope it's not the one I sold on eBay.

If it was and had I known it was you, I would have given a discount

10. jowwy

jowwy The bearded Powerhouse

i believe it was from snail uk........

11. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

Oh that's OK then

12. Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey Upright and forwards, just.

Some cables and bar ends to complete all the parts needed to convert from drops to flat-ish bars in an attempt to cure the numb thumb and forefinger on my daily commute.
    Typically though, it was so cold this morning, I couldn't feel any of my digits. :ohmy:.

Attached Files:

RealLeeHimself and jowwy like this.
  13. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

multi release spd cleats .. upload_2018-2-5_13-26-28.jpeg £8.99 from hellfrauds

jay clock and Hedgemonkey like this.
  14. Justinitus

Justinitus Pie Muncher Extraordinaire

Thanks for the heads-up ColinJ, I bought 2 sets this morning and for what they are they’re excellent value! Bought one set in lime/orange as a spare rear light for the Toughroad and the front light fits nicely on top of my Kask Mojito helmet. The other set in pink/blue is for my newly acquired but previously unloved Dahon Curve (aka Clown Force One... as it came with a humongous honk honk horn on it!) that I’m currently rebuilding for guest/town use.

Screwfix have a pack of 2 x CR2032 batteries reduced to 49p at the moment so I got a couple of packs on my way home for spares.

ColinJ likes this.
  15. Domus

Domus Über Member

Two pairs of Aztec V-Brake Plus inserts. Winter riding takes it's toll.
    Had a mechanical on Sunday, chain came off and jammed off the smallest cog. Struggled to keep bike upright whilst removing back wheel to free it. Two cyclists went past ignoring my plight. Anyway with all my pushing and pulling I must have cocked up the rear brake and one side was rubbing all the way home. I thought I was just tired :wacko: Upshot was all pads nearing their limit so new pads all round.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice