What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Changed the brake pads in rush on Saturday after the old new pads lost the friction material on Fridays commute.

Needed the bike for work all weekend so just pushed the pistons back and slapped in new pads.

They wasn't happy all weekend or monday so today, prior to ordering new caliper decided to give the bike a fettle and the calipers a proper clean and inspect. Soaked them in brake cleaner and gave it a good toothbrushing then a soak in brake oil. The amount of filth was amazing and what looked like a small chunk of stainless spring came out.

Refitted with a new disk as the old one was way thinner than scrap.

New chain fitted as the weather isn't so filthy.

Swapped my spare wheel back to the proper wheel after it was repaired following November's bike Vs barrier incident. This necessitated a three way tyre swap as the front tyre was scrap.

Fiddled with the indexing and dropped the bike off the Aldi stand when the clamp became detached from the horizontal bar.

Took it for a spin and found the brake was was behaving.

Nipped the front cones slightly and noted the front pads were very thin. Spent an hour rummaging in the shed for new pads for that caliper but couldn't find any. Pads for every other caliper including two sets for the car that does less miles than the bike per year.

Found a strange orange thing in the shed that appears to be some sort of grass cutting hoover so tested that out.

Washed the bike down and cleaned the garden and toddler who was covered in bike gloop.

Came in and ordered some cables and outers for the missus bike after noticing here were looking a bit rusty and feeling rough. Albeit they're ten years old and had several seaside camping trips.

Nothing much

1. Senior Managements Boardman
She went to office on it this morning
As she'd told me yesterday that she intended to, I checked it over;
Lubed the chain (wipe over, with 'dieselly cloth')
Tyres reinflated
Brakes checked over
Pannier-rack bolts checked for tightness
Also washed all the 'storage dust' off it

She's not used it since (I think?) January, but intends to now, as the local Councils sports facilities are all closed (Zumba, swimming pool. etc..)

Granted, she'll not really be commuting on it, at present. but tells me she'll be going out most days on it, whilst working from home
(unless she really has to visit a client)

2. My CGR
- took the recently replaced cassette (beginning of month) off my CGR, to clean it properly, & behind it (some tangled grass from yesterdays bridleway travels)
- gave the chain (replaced with cassette) a wipe-over, as the factory lubrication was starting to dry-up, & looked dirty
- the jockey wheels. derailleur cage, chain-rings & front mech also cleaned
- tyres checked for cuts (nothing worthy of note)
- front pads taken out to check for wear (fine!!!)

....was bored yesterday, so had a go on Youtube on the box. Watched a great vid of a couple of fellas, in India I think, stripping a Honda Benly, resto and rebuild, filmed in fast motion. Mesmerised by the whole thing, only basic tools, and working on the floor for the most part (an Asian thing).
A very relaxing 45 minutes watching others do the fettling, and fantastic end product,must try and catch some more...:okay:

Dale 1956

I took off my bar end shifters and turn them to down tube shifters and they are the friction shifter only I don't like the click shifting at all never did either.Later on I'm going to change my handle bars out I have the Woodchippers2 on my Surly Disc Trucker for now.And I did get to ride it a little today first time I have got to ride in over a year it felt good too.

keithmac

Guru
....was bored yesterday, so had a go on Youtube on the box. Watched a great vid of a couple of fellas, in India I think, stripping a Honda Benly, resto and rebuild, filmed in fast motion. Mesmerised by the whole thing, only basic tools, and working on the floor for the most part (an Asian thing).
A very relaxing 45 minutes watching others do the fettling, and fantastic end product,must try and catch some more...:okay:

There's a Royal Enfield video from their factory, the men who do all the coachlining by hand are mesmerising to watch!.

A friend had given me a pair of bar-ends a while ago... more of a swap, really!
I had a pair of Scott Drop-Ins that he wanted for a retro-build that he was undertaking
(they were on my Dyna-Tech 755Ti, from new/1994, till 2009)

So, this afternoon, after my 'allowed exercise', seeing as SWMBO has resurrected the bike, I set to.
Bolt-on grips were removed, & set aside
Bar-ends placed on, & set at same angle as stem (initially)

SWMBO summoned to sit on it, so I could look at the correct wrist angle
Grips marked, cut with hacksaw, & reinstated

All bolts tightened :okay:

Then, it was a walk to the local garage that sells 'red' diesel, as my gallon has been used up, after about 3 years
(used for cleaning cassettes/chain-rings/jockey-wheels, & lubricating chains)

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing again. The MTB is remarkably clean given it's now done 50 miles off road this week. I'll wash it after work today (or in my lunch break).

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Got some better dyneema guy line and cam cleats for the zephyros 2.
Replaced them all and accidentally ripped off one of the tabs on the inner tent...feck!
Can't sew for sh** so that'll be an interesting challenge.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've given my fixed a clean and a check before putting it away for the summer, front wheel is knackered, its got sealed bearings and they've got play in them, rim is worn thin, a smidge over 1mm, I'll have look at it over the summer and see if its worth bearings and a rim or a replacement wheel, the wheel is about 5 years old and has done about 10000 miles. Theres plenty of meat on the front tyre but its cut up a bit, the rear is worn almost to the point of squaring off so it needs a new set of tyres. The chain I put on in october is knackered, 0.75 , its done a smidge under 2000 miles. I think I will be doing an overhaul sometime in the summer. I got the geared bike out and fitted the new pump I brought, and I transferred the saddle bag and computer over from the fixed, I'm now ready for the summer.

Gunk

Guru
As I’ve now finished the Brompton and put a few miles on it, I thought it would be sensible just to check everything and make sure everything is still tight.

6BB9EA02-6737-488D-AAA5-AF78E0A71A98.jpeg

I wasn’t happy with the front wheel bearings so greased and adjusted them, after some careful tweaking with the spanners it runs really well now.

Cleaned the chain, touched up some scratches by the Chainstay and gave it a quick wipe over.

A new sealed old style ISO BB bracket arrived today (these are genuinely like hens teeth to get hold of) so once I’ve sourced a FAG tool I’ll fit it.

roley poley

Über Member
Spaced the double chain wheel on Brompton with m10 washers from screwfix £4.09 for 100 rather than buy them on line £7.48 for 10 at sjs so had my daily exercise combined with shopping may well need longer chainring bolts as I feel they are on max extention

Received and swapped over the new rear wheel for the Trek following Wednesday's motorised pringling. All good, ride tomorrow.
The buckle is actually pretty slight, so when this pandemic is all over, I'll take it to the Plymouth BikeSpace open workshops and get them to help me true it, or try to.
I deceided to support an LBS for this wheel, good price, etc. But it (a Raleigh) is not nearly so nicely finished as those from Taylor Wheels in Germany, which cost the same, sometimes even a bit less, including shipping. Were I able to swan about as normal, I'd have swapped the Trek and Scott from the garage, and ordered up from Taylor. The LBS did a great job getting it in so quickly, though, full marks to them - Rockin' Bikes, Yelverton.

Top Bottom