What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Changed the brake/shifters on the Trek from St-EF65-9 4-finger multi-option braking to the 2-finger V-brake-only version. Will redeploy the 4s, reset for caliper brakes, for another attempt on the Scott 9-speed flat-bar conversion. The Scott reverted to 8 easily enough, but I can no longer tolerate the 'Megarange' jump in the lower gears.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

A minor fettle fail for me yesterday, we haven't been able to open the lid on our kettle for a while, I found the securing screw and got the cover off the handle last night, lots of odd shaped pieces of plastic and springs in the top of the handle, when you press the button it moves a spring loaded piece of plastic which hits something under the lid and the lid flies open under spring pressure. I got it working whilst the cover was off but when I put the cover back on it stopped working so I'll have to have another look.

Mike_P

Guru
A minor fettle fail for me yesterday, we haven't been able to open the lid on our kettle for a while, I found the securing screw and got the cover off the handle last night, lots of odd shaped pieces of plastic and springs in the top of the handle, when you press the button it moves a spring loaded piece of plastic which hits something under the lid and the lid flies open under spring pressure. I got it working whilst the cover was off but when I put the cover back on it stopped working so I'll have to have another look.
Would that be a Russell Hobbs kettle, had the same problem with a 30 month old one and they sent me a brand new kettle; it had a extra years free warranty on top of the normal two.

D

Deleted member 1258

Would that be a Russell Hobbs kettle, had the same problem with a 30 month old one and they sent me a brand new kettle; it had a extra years free warranty on top of the normal two.

its a Tesco branded kettle, we've had it a few years, its just annoying that the kettle is working as it should its just the lid thats knackered.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just a thought, could a metal handle of some sort be attached to the lid held by a magnet on the underside?

Its possible that theres a magnet in the plastic lid and its holding the lid shut against the metal body of the kettle, the spring loaded plastic piece that the button presses against breaks the hold of the magnet and the springs open the lid, I couldn't see a catch when I had it apart.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I wasn't planning on a fettle but, I sold my sons Giant mtb in less than 4hrs on Gumtree so I thought I would give the gears/brakes a tweak before it was collected. Used bikes are like gold at the moment and I had over 30 messages/calls. I'm always glad to see a bike go to a 'genuine' home who will use it rather than a shark out to make money though. I think you can spot the difference :blush:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I just finished a strip clean of the Pilot Veturi. It was a little dirty and I had a slight click from the bb area.

I took the opportunity to respray the custom rear brake mount as it had started to come away - I had run out of rubbing alcohol when I originally painted is so am guessing there was still some coolant residue on it from machining.

I stripped all the old paint off and roughed up the aluminium a bit before thoroughly degreasing, masking and etch priming...

I forgot to take photos of the colour coat and primer going on, but it cured enough to refit in no time out in the sun so back on it went...

In the meantime, while it was drying, I had whipped the cranks out and found the non-drive side bearing of the Hope BB to be feeling fairly rough. Since the click was only present when putting power through the left hand crank I figured it was worth inspecting this further. Unfortunately when I went to remove the BB I realised I had lent one of my BB tools to a friend and of course it was the one I needed :rolleyes: Not wanting to admit defeat I managed to remove the bearing shield and seal from the cartridge bearing without damaging them. The grease looked in good condition on the surface from the side I had access to but I decided to flush it out and repack it anyway. I flushed it through with degreaser first before thoroughly rinsing with water and then allowing to dry in the sun. I then repacked with grease, working it through all the gaps. It feels a lot better now, but isn't quite as smooth as the other side. When I get the BB tool back I'll think about replacing it - I'm going for a ride shortly so will soon find out if it's still clicking :laugh:

Once all back together I gave the frame a polish - I had read that Pledge household polish brings titanium up a treat and I wasn't disappointed :smile:

I'm now off to get her dirty again :okay::laugh:

Right, Scott conversion to 9-speed flat-bar, .part the, oh who the heck knows...
I decided that this second attempt would also see me having another go at fitting the Alivio RD-M4000 mech. Well, that bit worked!
After much cussing and swearing, I got it all going, but it's taken me most of the day, and then I managed to ruin the rear brake cable, and the only spare I have is, you guessed it, too short.:angry:
So, to hell with the roadie for a bit. The Trek mtb is nicely sorted, so I'll ride that until the bits arrive!

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Just fixed the lad across the road's front skewer on his MTB, " I don't know what happened, I hit it with a hammer and it just broke!!!!"

I had only rear spares in my draw, got one off another bike in the shed at the back of the house, why cant you just buy a front? more searching on the bay of deals required, If I have to buy a pair I will have 3 spare rears.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I did the measurements about five times and then reached for the hacksaw. It went well and finally the new forks are fitted. I think I remember getting the yellow paint colour matched. I will dig out the aerosol and see if it still work. It can stay a multicoloured job for now though. The main thing is they fit and the steering seems ok post crash! Thanks @fixedfixer for selling the forks that finally get this back on the road.
I tried the back wheel and adjusted the brakes. The front also had a new cable outer as the previous one was slightly too short.
Rear mech fitted and adjusted. All gears can now be engaged.
The job I was least looking forwards to was next. Fitting the bar tape. The stuff I got from P lanet X seemed to fall apart in my hands and was in the bin after the first wrap. Absolute rubbish. Luckily, I remembered having this stuff up in my stores stash in the loft. Not the best application but, I'm not too unhappy with the result.

All that remains now is to fit the new Speedplay pedals to the cranks and the cleats to the shoes. I'll do that tomorrow in time for a test ride.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Given the chain on the recumbent a wipe down with a rag and white spirit. Excess oil,and gunk nicely removed. Waiting for the white spirit to evaporate. Then relube and rewipe chain. Then will also swap turbo wheel for the outdoor wheel.

Also adjusted bearings on the front wheel. Tightened them up a bit. Grease in bearings looks fine right now.

Top Bottom