What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveM77

Just picked up my first set of carbon wheels. FFWD F4d. Will fit them and try them out as soon as work lets me

Attachments

• F2AC8BE0-850A-4082-A272-C2F592489AF6.jpeg
    F2AC8BE0-850A-4082-A272-C2F592489AF6.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 3

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Managed to bring the MTB forks back to life enough to ride with my daughter.
On the lookout for some cheapish rockshox or equivalent though.

Attachments

• 20210519_104244.jpg
    20210519_104244.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210519_121152.jpg
    20210519_121152.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 5

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Someone kindly lent me the Brompton reamer (no longer sold to end users, only dealers), so I reamed the new bushes and put the S6L back together. It is perfect - moves freely but absolutely no play. The last one a shop did for me was fractionally tight.

As you can see, I added a grease port. It's M6 threaded so I can temporarily screw in a grease nipple if I want to use a high pressure grease gun (the threads aren't deep enough to withstand a grease gun being yanked off the nipple, but the nipple can be unscrewed with the gun still attached, and the blanking screw replaced). As I know the bushes are slathered in marine grease right now, I just pumped the tube full so there is no space for water to enter.

Attachments

• 20210618_170826.jpg
    20210618_170826.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The puncture fairy struck, this time on my LWB. Anyways, gave me a chance to see if it fits into my recently made stand - works a treat. Using the LWB each evening, new action camera clamps easily to the handlebars. Makes for a steady perch, and nearly at eye level.
The new camera novelty will soon wear off, then I can alternate with rides on the trike, that should stop it sulking :laugh:
1624085312469.jpeg

Laptop upgrading. This one's a Dell Studio XPS 1640. It came with a Core 2 Duo T6600, 2M L2 cache, 800MHz FSB, @ 2.2GHz. First step, upgrade CPU to Core 2 Duo T9550, 6M L2 cache, 1066 MHz FSB, @2.66 GHz. I probably won't notice much difference, but it takes it to almost the top of the processor tree. Now needs RAM upping to 8GB and, that would be useful, a battery!

battered

Guru
Fettled a Trek Cane Creek hybrid. I've started volunteering for a bike charity, someone had donated this in a worn out state. It now has new chain, cassette, chainrings, brakes, tyres and a cable or two. It's cleaned up and will be put out for sale this week. It's going to be a decent bike for someone, which is nice because as it sat it was beyond economic repair but now it's a running bike.

Added/ swapped a few bits.
New front tyre on the Scott.

Change bottle cage on Revell from

to

Put removed cage next to its sibling on the Scott.

..except I forgot to take an 'after' pic. D'oh...
Then there's this:

This is under each end of my Oxford Aquatech 2-bike cover. Now, I swear that the instructions said that the bikes should face opposite ends, and it certainly works fine that way. Now I'm not so sure...
Ah well.
:biggrin:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not bike-related, although I've started work on the Dawes Galaxy AL and Raleigh Strada I picked up last week, but door-related.

The lever on our patio door stopped working last week. SWMBO announced that this meant we needed an entire new double-width patio door :eek:

:stop:

Now, I'm not from Yorkshire but have been here for well over 20 years. I'm guessing some of that must have rubbed off by now :whistle: . So ... I took the handle and lock apart, discovering what had broken was a small lever-type piece of plastic. Lots of heavy, solid steel door handle/lock and it's controlled by a cheap piece of plastic.

I found it on eBay at £3 and ordered 3 of them just in case. Well ... you never know! They arrived and this time are solid metal with a grub screw to tighten.

Duly fitted to both sides, replacing the other side's cheap piece of plastic, and adjusted - it all works :becool:. The lever now feels much more 'solid', and therefore we don't need a new patio door :whistle:

Bike fettling to resume tomorrow after grasstrack racing, when I'll send an update on both bikes.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just a bit of cleaning & lubricating on a couple of the most used bikes in the fleet. While cleaning the main commuter a few areas needing attention were identified - a new wheelset needed (see here), new tyres needed (rear worn to a flat profile, front can't see the wear guide holes) & bar tape to be replaced (horibly grubby).

Top Bottom