What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There's one in the Surrey Hills next month. It looks hilly. I'm torn.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A Weaver's Wander (from Tewkesbury) in August. Bringing a clubmate (who had never done one until this year) along for his 3rd audax ... He seems to be catching the bug.

pkeenan

Über Member
Just entered two 200ks: Tour of Rheged on 7 October and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul on 4 November.

These will be my first official audax events! I've ridden similar and further distances before, within the sort of time limits, but not for quite a while. With moving house, starting a new full time job and a masters to complete, this year's been rubbish for time on the bike, so these will be pretty challenging...!

Tilley

Über Member
Signed up for 2,100k events Utterly Butterly and Tasty Cheddar, there seems to be an unintentional food theme going on here. I attempted the Tasty Cheddar last year, but due to poor navigation and foul weather I failed to complete within the time deadline, hoping to do considerably better this year.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've done the Tasty Cheddar once..... without a Garmin. I seem to remember the written instructions somewhere after Cheddar Gorge and before Chew Magna being something like: "Straight on at crossroads (unsignposted) followed immediately by turn right at crossroads (unsignposted) followed immediately by turn left at crossroads (unsignposted)". All without naming the village you were supposed to be in! If you had already gone wrong you had no chance of getting back on track until another audaxer came along to put you right. For all that, I loved it.

Tilley

Über Member
The section from the top of the gorge to Hinton Blewett was tricky and taking the correct turn for the climb to the pub was all down to a couple on a tandem who had done the ride before. My major mistake was listening to a group on the way to Bishop Sutton, which led me to divert from my planned route and to believe there was an easier option. It wasn't until I reached the A37 at Temple Cloud that I realised the full error. I then compounded this by deciding not to turn round, but to progress along the A37 thinking I could then resume my route by going through the village of Stanton Drew. However the road at Stanton Drew was closed to traffic so I ended up on the A37 to the outskirts of Whitchurch and going through Norton Malreward to resume my route at Dundry. Much of my poor navigation could be partially attributed to the foul weather it was so cold and wet the thought of continually stopping to check a wet soggy map or written instructions was not compelling. However the experience hasn't dampened my enthusiasm, I now have more experience, and a Garmin which should make matters a little easier.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The section from the top of the gorge to Hinton Blewett was tricky and taking the correct turn for the climb to the pub was all down to a couple on a tandem who had done the ride before. My major mistake was listening to a group on the way to Bishop Sutton, which led me to divert from my planned route and to believe there was an easier option. It wasn't until I reached the A37 at Temple Cloud that I realised the full error. I then compounded this by deciding not to turn round, but to progress along the A37 thinking I could then resume my route by going through the village of Stanton Drew. However the road at Stanton Drew was closed to traffic so I ended up on the A37 to the outskirts of Whitchurch and going through Norton Malreward to resume my route at Dundry. Much of my poor navigation could be partially attributed to the foul weather it was so cold and wet the thought of continually stopping to check a wet soggy map or written instructions was not compelling. However the experience hasn't dampened my enthusiasm, I now have more experience, and a Garmin which should make matters a little easier.

I don't think you were alone. I kept popping out of hedges in front of fast, club riders much to their amusement (not). I got soaked at the Hinton Blewitt control and my forearms had horrific cramp problems coming off Dundry. I found it hard to descend slowly in the wet, cold muck. And to add to my problems: Another rider kindly advised me a young cyclist had died descending too quickly, right at that very spot I was on!

I'll be better equipped this year.

Top Bottom